What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What positives / negatives are you seeing with the basketball team?

Abs quote: "Getting their ass kicked a few times may be the best thing for this team."

The look on XJ's face at the end said it all. I think we may see him more motivated from now on.

Abs quote: "Getting their ass kicked a few times may be the best thing for this team."

The look on XJ's face at the end said it all. I think we may see him more motivated from now on.
He definitely seems to be growing up some. Let's hope the rest of the team gets the same jolt.

okay so after watching Utah, I'm really starting to think that is what our team is going to look like next year. They have a few guys in the 6'5" to 6'6" range that can slash to the hoop and they rotate their big guys in to keep them fresh. The only difference is we don't have a Loveridge (anymore) and our guys seem gun shy from deep. For example Booker takes 4.2 3's per game, XJ is 2.5, Hopkins 2 and Talton 1.6. Loveridge takes 4.9, Wright 1.8, Taylor 4.8 and Tucker 4.5

Can someone pull some advanced metrics and compare our teams on offense?

Taking more 3's isn't the solution. We are not a shooting team.

I am saying you take what the defense gives you. Right now they are giving us 3's but we are not taking them. I think Tad wants to take 100% of his shots at the rim, but the way teams are starting to pack in on defense, we need to start shooting over them.

I do agree with you. I checked the Utah guys and all are taking more 3's and they are shooting at a lower % than they year they shot less.

See. That's where your internet persona is abrasive. You nit pick without making any concessions. You focus on one point and hammer on it at the exclusion of everything else. It's not an approach that is very ingratiating.

As to Scott, I think my opinion on him as a player is well stated in this thread. He is the best we've got, and he's really good.

But since you love numbers, I offer you some other players who are doing better than Josh. There are players having better seasons and are quite possibly more elite than he is.

Alan Williams, UCSB. JR 24.3 ppg 11.1 rb/g
Javon McCrea, Buffalo. SR 16.8 9.6
Larry Nance JR . Wyo. JR. 15.7 9.1
Kyle Anderson UCLA. SO. 15.3 9.3
Brandon West, JackSt SR. 11.1 11.0
Julius Randle, Kentucky FR. 16.7 10.8
Shawn Long, LA-La. So. 21.5 11.0
Josh Scott, Colo So. 13.6. 9.2
Scott Eatherson, Northeastern 16.9 10.0

You asked what more we could want from Josh Scott? How about climbing a few more spots up the stat sheet, for starters.
Yeah sorry for pointing something out that I thought was a pretty big error in your post...whatever was I thinking!

:rolling_eyes:

Alan Williams - #48 kPOY (>28% possessions used)
Larry Nance Jr. - #36 kPOY (>24% possessions used)
Josh Scott - #16 kPOY (>20% possessions used)

Kyle Anderson isn't a forward, he's a guard who happens to be 6'9" so I'm not sure why you would include him unless you don't watch much college basketball, the others aren't from the West, which is what I was arguing. What do those numbers above show? That when Josh Scott is used, he is the best big man on the West Coast, and one of the top in the nation. Alan Williams is the only other big man in the West that I would consider putting above Josh Scott. You started by saying Scott isn't clutch, or hasn't shown that he can be clutch, you never really presented any evidence to support that. He's had some big time blocks, some big time rebounds, and has made FTs down the stretch when we really needed them.

Yeah sorry for pointing something out that I thought was a pretty big error in your post...whatever was I thinking!

:rolling_eyes:

Alan Williams - #48 kPOY (>28% possessions used)
Larry Nance Jr. - #36 kPOY (>24% possessions used)
Josh Scott - #16 kPOY (>20% possessions used)

Kyle Anderson isn't a forward, he's a guard who happens to be 6'9" so I'm not sure why you would include him unless you don't watch much college basketball, the others aren't from the West, which is what I was arguing. What do those numbers above show? That when Josh Scott is used, he is the best big man on the West Coast, and one of the top in the nation. Alan Williams is the only other big man in the West that I would consider putting above Josh Scott. You started by saying Scott isn't clutch, or hasn't shown that he can be clutch, you never really presented any evidence to support that. He's had some big time blocks, some big time rebounds, and has made FTs down the stretch when we really needed them.

Kyle Anderson is a forward that UCLA coach Steve Alford plays as a point guard. If you spent any time studying our conference rivals, you'd know that Anderson is a special talent who happens to be pretty versatile and is being used in a capacity that puts UCLA in a position to win. There is nothing wrong with comparing the future NBA leader of UCLA' 6'9" with CU's reigning 6'10 on-court leader. Both are rebounding and point generating machines.

And I reiterate that in the post Dinwiddie era, Scott has been good, but has not been clutch. You can't be clutch when your team is getting blown out. Show me one time since Dinwiddie got hurt that Josh Scott's clutch shooting was the difference between winning and losing.

Kyle Anderson is a forward that UCLA coach Steve Alford plays as a point guard. If you spent any time studying our conference rivals, you'd know that Anderson is a special talent who happens to be pretty versatile and is being used in a capacity that puts UCLA in a position to win. There is nothing wrong with comparing the future NBA leader of UCLA' 6'9" with CU's reigning 6'10 on-court leader. Both are rebounding and point generating machines.

And I reiterate that in the post Dinwiddie era, Scott has been good, but has not been clutch. You can't be clutch when your team is getting blown out. Show me one time since Dinwiddie got hurt that Josh Scott's clutch shooting was the difference between winning and losing.

Why do you think he is a forward? He played PG in high school and PG in college.

When has he had the opportunity? You're looking at way too small of a sample size right now. It takes more than one guy to get a game to that point and Scott is the only player who has been consistent since Spencer got hurt. Scott is doing what he is doing without any guard play and he's the #1 guy the defense focuses on now. If we had decent guard play Scott would have a lot more opportunities to be clutch. None of that changes the fact that Scott has been clutch this season, using a 4.5 game sample isn't a good way to disprove that.

And you're comparing apples to oranges with Scott and Anderson. Anderson has taken 32 3's this year, Scott has taken none. Really the only thing Anderson has on Scott is his assist rate and steal rate, but Scott not playing at the point like Anderson does is largely the reason. When I'm talking about big men, I men primarily post players. If I were to compare Anderson I'd use other wing players, not a primary post player.

Why do you think he is a forward? He played PG in high school and PG in college.

Yeah he starts at PG...not sure why you'd bring him into the comparisons other than for height.

Last edited:

He was evaluated as a small forward by scout and rivals. His UCLA and ESPN profiles list him as a slash F/PG. Various press on Anderson highlight this versatility and how Alford is leveraging that.

it would be great if Scott proves himself as versatile as a player and team leader. Anderson certainly provides an intersecting case study as an elite peer of Josh.

When has he had the opportunity? You're looking at way too small of a sample size right now. It takes more than one guy to get a game to that point and Scott is the only player who has been consistent since Spencer got hurt. Scott is doing what he is doing without any guard play and he's the #1 guy the defense focuses on now. If we had decent guard play Scott would have a lot more opportunities to be clutch. None of that changes the fact that Scott has been clutch this season, using a 4.5 game sample isn't a good way to disprove that.

And you're comparing apples to oranges with Scott and Anderson. Anderson has taken 32 3's this year, Scott has taken none. Really the only thing Anderson has on Scott is his assist rate and steal rate, but Scott not playing at the point like Anderson does is largely the reason. When I'm talking about big men, I men primarily post players. If I were to compare Anderson I'd use other wing players, not a primary post player.

Yeah he starts at PG...not sure why you'd bring him into the comparisons other than for height.

We completely agree that Josh has been a bright spot since the Washington road trip. He is a high performing individual contributor on a stunned team. Josh himself has indicated that he feels the need to accelerate his leadership role going forward. But his individual performance doesn't deserve to be called clutch because CU has been getting blown out by uncomfortable margins. Nobody on CUs team in the month of January, post-SD has been clutch.

Your sample size argument would be moot if CU's basketball team were strong enough from a leadership perspective to be able to display a "next man up" philosophy in both words and deeds. These last four weeks have shown how fragile CU's basketball success really is.

BTW, you are ignoring the rebounding and ppg comparison between Anderson and Scott. The three point stat and assist stat is interesting. But Anderson didn't make any 3's in 9 of UCLA's 18 games. The Utah game where he went 5-5 behind the arc is an anomaly. Clearly each player is being used in different roles. But that doesn't automatically discount the attributes that Anderson possesses in contrast to those of Scott. Cherry picking West Coast versus NCAA is an interesting choice. Last I checked, the NCAA tournament is a national affair.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was evaluated as a small forward by scout and rivals. His UCLA and ESPN profiles list him as a slash F/PG. Various press on Anderson highlight this versatility and how Alford is leveraging that.

it would be great if Scott proves himself as versatile as a player and team leader. Anderson certainly provides an intersecting case study as an elite peer of Josh.

They're two completely different players. Other than some mid range jumpers Scott spends most of his time down in the post. Scott will never have the skill set Anderson has.

They're two completely different players. Other than some mid range jumpers Scott spends most of his time down in the post. Scott will never have the skill set Anderson has.

Thanks, Scotty.

I guess this this pretty much closes out the question about what more anyone could possibly want from Josh.

Thanks, Scotty.

I guess this this pretty much closes out the question about what more anyone could possibly want from Josh.

If you're going to use Anderson as a comparison then yes it does. I agree he has room for improvement.

what the **** did I just read?

Crying-baby.jpg

So...another great game by Scott and he was clutch down the stretch making two clutch free throws in the final seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big step forward in mental toughness in the Utah game ... With Spenser and Fletcher out they are very thin in the rotation. But to come back from 12 down in the second half and win was a testament to the fortitude and cohesiveness of the team. I love these guys. Boyle is building a culture that can sustain itself when times are difficult. For me, that is as good as it gets. We will do better some years when we have a full complement of top athletes, but are always going to be competitive, dangerous and respected due to the character of the team.

Big step forward in mental toughness in the Utah game ... With Spenser and Fletcher out they are very thin in the rotation. But to come back from 12 down in the second half and win was a testament to the fortitude and cohesiveness of the team. I love these guys. Boyle is building a culture that can sustain itself when times are difficult. For me, that is as good as it gets. We will do better some years when we have a full complement of top athletes, but are always going to be competitive, dangerous and respected due to the character of the team.

That's what makes this feel like such a special win. Utah is as mentally tough as they come and we withstood two gigantic punches and bounced back to win. All this at a time when we were starting to doubt whether this team had the toughness to handle what has happened to us. We've got to build off this, this is a major confidence booster. These guys can do it, they just proved it.

Talton, XJ, and Stalzer are realizing that they need to step up their games. I see XJ continuing to improve and go inside with his game and grab rebounds when his outside shot isn't falling. Talton probably had his best game of his career when we needed it yesterday. I hope it motivates him to work on his 3 point shot so he can be a consistent outside threat for the remainder of the year and future as well. It is still going to be tough at times this year but the future is bright. I still think we knock off AZ at home.

That's what makes this feel like such a special win. Utah is as mentally tough as they come and we withstood two gigantic punches and bounced back to win. All this at a time when we were starting to doubt whether this team had the toughness to handle what has happened to us. We've got to build off this, this is a major confidence booster. These guys can do it, they just proved it.

6KOaPhD.png

[tweet]432707221474922497[/tweet]

That guy is not even on some guy all PAC first it second teams.

In all seriousness, how do teams handle him. Single team him and he drops 20. Double or triple him up and he finds the open guy. We really are lucky to have him.

A Josh that plays with the aggressiveness he had tonight (alley ooooop!) open's up everything on offense. And that was with Boyle obviously limiting his minutes.

A Josh that plays with the aggressiveness he had tonight (alley ooooop!) open's up everything on offense. And that was with Boyle obviously limiting his minutes.

In the first half, the drop step on the left block into a gather & dunk was the piece I've been waiting for from his post game. If Josh can keep finishing like that then his game goes to another level. Pretty to see.

In the first half, the drop step on the left block into a gather & dunk was the piece I've been waiting for from his post game. If Josh can keep finishing like that then his game goes to another level. Pretty to see.

Was surprised by that. He usually goes for the layup.

In the 2nd XJ made a post up turn around J that I don't think we've seen from him all year. Besides his and1 dunk against KU, that might have been his best offensive move all year. Good to see him get more aggressive.

Jelly was special tonight. About ten minutes into the game, I just started watching him play. He was a beast tonight. He was not going to be denied. If he wanted to score, he scored. If he wanted a rebound, he got it. Unstoppable.

Back