What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's our "rock bottom"?

I appreciate the response, but you and @The Alabaster Yak are acting like the only two options are fighting for bowl eligibility each year or playing Bama in the NC.
What I’m talking about is Iowa or Utah level success. 8-4 average record with a halfway decent bowl game. Some seasons you’ll scrape by with 6 wins, others you’ll surprise and get 10.

If that moderate level of success isn’t even in the realm of possibility at CU, then what are we even doing giving a ****?
Well, this thread is literally talking about the program being dead, so it feels like this board in general is viewing the only two options as "the program is dead and we should get rid of football" or "we need to be competing with Oregon and USC for recruits and NIL"

Also, since joining the Pac 12, Utah has had more 9 and 10 win seasons than not. It'd be great if CU was able to get there, but that's the kind of success I said would require things like administrative support, NIL and $$ to get better in Boulder. I think 6-8 wins is achievable with a good coaching staff

I appreciate the response, but you and @The Alabaster Yak are acting like the only two options are fighting for bowl eligibility each year or playing Bama in the NC.
What I’m talking about is Iowa or Utah level success. 8-4 average record with a halfway decent bowl game. Some seasons you’ll scrape by with 6 wins, others you’ll surprise and get 10.

If that moderate level of success isn’t even in the realm of possibility at CU, then what are we even doing giving a ****?
That level of success is not possible unless one of two things happen:

A. A new president that gives a **** about the football team not being a dumpster fire is hired and gives Phil marching orders to fix this ****.
or
B. PD retires and is replaced by someone who gives a **** about the football team not being a dumpster fire, and will work to make that happen even if there is indifference from the president and the regents.

PD will not lift a finger to do anything meaningful to buoy the football program unless he is directed to from someone above him. If they are indifferent then every other department on campus will always be prioritized over the AD.

Rock bottom could happen 9/9/2023. Losing to Scott Frost in a lightly attended game with more penalties than points. That would be rock bottom to me.

The game won't be lightly attended. The stadium will be bright ****ing husker red, and PD will be thrilled regardless of the score because the AD will be that much closer to operating in the black.

Eh, not many from that 2016 defense (or offense) we’re going to be starting elsewhere going into that season, so I don’t buy that guys who were recruited by MacIntyre would just be leaving for better programs a couple years in.

Remember that all of these recruits that are leaving were MM or Tucker recruits who were either being passed over, or don’t care to stick around this inept coaching staff.

Regardless, my point is more about the fact that this administration has approved lower admissions over the past 5-10 years relative to before, has approved much larger coaching contracts and gotten on board with the multi year contracts once it went into law, and weren’t the issue with MacIntyre not being able to beat Oregon State at home to start 6-0 in 2018, or Mel Tucker losing to AFA and Arizona at home.

This program can be a 6+ win program with the current support, but the AD has to make a competent hire for Head Coach.
I think I understand your point, but to focus on those players from the MM years that could not have started at other programs doesn't really add to the overall supposition, does it? For the mediocre players we had in 2016 who would not have started at other programs, how much did we gain from them being here (which we would not have gotten from some other mediocre player)? Almost our entire defensive backfield were NFL players who could have surely started for other teams in their final years. (Even Laguda got some looks in the NFL.) Without those guys, would we have had the one big year we had? How about P. Lindsey? Issiah Oliver was a Soph. then, what if he had transferred to play somewhere else? How about Tupo, Carrall, or Kapavala? If we lose any of those guys (even if we got two of them-I think-by way of transfer), our line would have been a sieve. We were incredibly lucky they all stayed reasonably healthy. We didnt' have any depth (again) under MM, at all. Sefo was not a world-beater, but he was a fifth-year senior who had started for multiple years (and even made a practice squad in the NFL). To me, the 2016 year arose from the good players who committed to the program and were here for five years, not the mediocre players who had nowhere else to go. Now those players will be few and far between.

Ultimately, if the argument is that our mediocre players stayed because they couldn't play someplace else, isn't that exactly the same problem we are dealing with now? How is that MM era an example of something positive that could happen again? The only difference I see is that we presently don't have veteran guys who will even get a sniff of the NFL if they stay 5+ years, and as you say, they are mostly MM and Tucker recruits.

I think I understand your point, but to focus on those players from the MM years that could not have started at other programs doesn't really add to the overall supposition, does it? For the mediocre players we had in 2016 who would not have started at other programs, how much did we gain from them being here (which we would not have gotten from some other mediocre player)? Almost our entire defensive backfield were NFL players who could have surely started for other teams in their final years. (Even Laguda got some looks in the NFL.) Without those guys, would we have had the one big year we had? How about P. Lindsey? Issiah Oliver was a Soph. then, what if he had transferred to play somewhere else? How about Tupo, Carrall, or Kapavala? If we lose any of those guys (even if we got two of them-I think-by way of transfer), our line would have been a sieve. We were incredibly lucky they all stayed reasonably healthy. We didnt' have any depth (again) under MM, at all. Sefo was not a world-beater, but he was a fifth-year senior who had started for multiple years (and even made a practice squad in the NFL). To me, the 2016 year arose from the good players who committed to the program and were here for five years, not the mediocre players who had nowhere else to go. Now those players will be few and far between.

Ultimately, if the argument is that our mediocre players stayed because they couldn't play someplace else, isn't that exactly the same problem we are dealing with now? How is that MM era an example of something positive that could happen again? The only difference I see is that we presently don't have veteran guys who will even get a sniff of the NFL if they stay 5+ years, and as you say, they are mostly MM and Tucker recruits.
My point was that the 2016 season and the success many of the defensive players had that year is what made them NFL prospects. You are trying to make the point that guys like Chido, Tedric Thompson, Spoon, Laguda, etc were all NFL caliber players before that season and therefore would have transferred to pursue NIL deals in today's environment. I just don't think that's the case.

Lindsay was an UDFA, he was going nowhere. Isaiah Oliver is the probably the only guy on that entire team who was young enough and good enough at that time to have better options to pursue. Christian Gonzalez is very comparable to Oliver in that regard.

Mike MacIntyre built a program that was an absolute dumpster fire in every aspect into a 10 win team and then maintained it to being a program that was 5-7 win/year caliber. With better gameday coaching, CU is at bare minimum a 6 win team in 2017, and likely 7 or 8 win team in 2018. Same goes for 2019 under Tucker, so yes, I think that kind of "success" can still be achieved at CU with a better coaching staff.

Ignoring everything but this paragraph, I have a genuine question for you - what makes you think other programs would do better? CU basketball is at its peak right now - and let's be brutally honest that unless lightning strikes twice, we're dropping down again as soon as Tad steps down. Women's hoops has a strong history, and I could see them making some noise again but that won't drive the money that is needed for the program to grow. Cross Country and Skiing are awesome, but who here has ever watched a cross country meet?

I've been very vocal that Tad should get whatever he wants, and no one should ever question it. But the best way for that to happen is a football program that doesn't suck. The schools that are making it work in the Big East are all either small private schools or UConn which has a history that when you combine men & women's teams is pretty hard to match. I don't know HOW we fix football (although getting rid of anyone who was once part of the Buff4Life group or ever coached/played at CU is a damn good start), but getting rid of it won't help any of the other sports either.

Now if you want to discuss shifting priorities to where football gets enough to tread water and putting more money and resources into hoops, that's a legit discussion. But even that would be tricky for us to make up so much ground.
It could fail since there's such a lack of fan & booster support for other CU sports that it makes football well-supported by comparison.

But chasing football is throwing good money after bad as long as CU is half pregnant. It's just going to lead to failure while every other sport gets the bare minimum.

Maybe we could have hockey, baseball and lacrosse humming along with current sports. Football brings in the money, but it's also a resource hog. As long as we got a Big East style media deal, we'd be fully funded, I think.

We’re at rock bottom…worst program in the PAC (by far), bottom 5 program in the P5, irrelevant on a national level, lame duck coach who’ll be around until his contract is up, administration that doesn’t care about winning, fanbase that still shows up enough at games to not force change. Best case scenario for this program moving forward is 6 wins and a trip to Albuquerque for the New Mexico bowl every 5-7 years. This program is done competing for division, conference or national championships.

Locksley’s Maryland is 6-6 and in a bowl. I remember the collective laughter when he was hired. We forget what an incredibly low threshold 6-6 is.
And, just a reminder, they play in a division with 4 teams that were/are ranked in the top 10 this year, including a playoff team.

And, just a reminder, they play in a division with 4 teams that were/are ranked in the top 10 this year, including a playoff team.
DMV has good talent. Maryland usually brings in classes ranked in the middle of the B1G. If anything they consistently underperform their talent level.

We need some body bag games to get to .500. I don't see any of those in our upcoming OOC schedule. RG's eyes got bigger than his stomach when he was scheduling.
I agree. Optimal OOC schedules for CU would have one FCS, one mediocre G5, and one P5 in the mediocre/bad range. Something along the lines of Delaware, Bowling Green, & Kansas.

I appreciate people trying remain relatively optimistic in holding on to the idea that we might get back to respectability, but as I posted last week in a different thread, I believe that CU put itself in a position where we effectively bankrupted the AD when we let MT walk and replaced him with KD. I think we will witness income plummet, and a continued exodus of support and talent over the next few years, and by that point, we will be so far behind the field that we will likely never recover.

When you are running a race (CFB) that the school doesn’t want to support, and you’ve effectively lost all support/belief from former players to the point where they won’t even consider letting their own kids play here*, you’re dead. Short of something truly miraculous happening (hiring a huge football supporter as the new president, or the junta winning powerball), I don’t see us recovering from this.

*I am by no means saying that former players are a beacon of truth, but the reality is that they know this program better than the avg parent, and care for it deeply, and I continually hear them say that they would absolutely not send their own kid here if they were given the opportunity (and several of them have had that opportunity) This is reflective of the environment that the recruiting whizzes that we have on staff are operating, and shapes my opinion that we are proper ****ed.

Oh hell, it was a joke, sure he's fine. Wtf has happened to Va Tech's defense? They are always usually good.

Oh hell, it was a joke, sure he's fine. Wtf has happened to Va Tech's defense? They are always usually good.
1. Beamer stopped recruiting, was overly loyal to some assistants and essentially coasted into retirement his last ~5 years
2. Justin Fuente didn't recruit
3. Bud Foster followed Beamer's plan of coasting into retirement

But I wouldn't draw that conclusion from a meaningless bowl game. The performance in conference games over the last decade is far more significant.

1. Beamer stopped recruiting, was overly loyal to some assistants and essentially coasted into retirement his last ~5 years
2. Justin Fuente didn't recruit
3. Bud Foster followed Beamer's plan of coasting into retirement

But I wouldn't draw that conclusion from a meaningless bowl game. The performance in conference games over the last decade is far more significant.
You would know better than me about them.

Lack of talent and administrative support of the program are definitely major issues. However, the program should be doing better than it is anyway. We will never compete with the blue bloods again, but we sure as hell should be competitive with Utah, ASU, Cal, AU, OSU, Stanford, and WSU consistently. When you compare CU to other programs with similar talent and administrative support, we are a dumpster fire. That's what really bugs the crap out of me. CU has consistently underperformed for its level of talent and support. You look at some other schools and they consistently outperform their level of talent. Look at Utah. They basically lucked into the situation of having a decent coach want to stay there long term. I am sure they do a lot to keep him happy, but that kind of tenure doesn't happen very often no matter what level you are playing at and how much cash you have to throw around. I have no expectation of national championships. I'd be happy just to turn on a game and not be embarrassed for the guys out there, and having to watch week after week as whatever talent they came to CU with is slowly sucked from their bodies by a totally incompetent staff.

Last edited:
I agree that our expectations needs to be realistic. I would like to see an occasional upset of USC or Oregon. Oregon State and ASU should not be considered an upset like it is nowadays.

In my opinion, there is a tremendous amount of institutional malaise at CU that shows up not just in athletics but also in the academic side of the house.

Key leaders throughout the organization have been in place for a very long time. They have been out of fresh ideas for a while now, and everything within the organization has back-slid.

Expected retirements from several of these key figures within the next couple of years should improve things.

In my opinion, there is a tremendous amount of institutional malaise at CU that shows up not just in athletics but also in the academic side of the house.

Key leaders throughout the organization have been in place for a very long time. They have been out of fresh ideas for a while now, and everything within the organization has back-slid.

Expected retirements from several of these key figures within the next couple of years should improve things.
This is not unlike many large institutions in our society today.

This is not unlike many large institutions in our society today.
This sounds like a great addition to the Boomer thread. ****in boomers

Back