What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which Bowl might we be headed to?

Nope! KSU has a 3-5 conf. record vs. our 4-4 ... won't happen.

Conf. record comes before head-to-head matchup.

That's not how it works. The bowls can take any B12 eligible team they want. The "seeds" only mean the order they pick in. You could be 2-6 in the B12 and still get picked over other teams as long as you won 4 non-conf. games.

That's not how it works. The bowls can take any B12 eligible team they want. The "seeds" only mean the order they pick in. You could be 2-6 in the B12 and still get picked over other teams as long as you won 4 non-conf. games.

exactly and we have yet to show that we will travel and spend unless it is the MNC game.

Our best hope is the Texas Bowl against a Conf USA team. Ill take it.... watching the Buffs on HD is so much fun! Especially when they beat the CORNFUSKERS!!!!

exactly and we have yet to show that we will travel and spend unless it is the MNC game.

Our best hope is the Texas Bowl against a Conf USA team. Ill take it.... watching the Buffs on HD is so much fun! Especially when they beat the CORNFUSKERS!!!!

we have always traveled wel to Arizona and California for bowls and games

I understand this. It was a mis-read on my behalf "initially". IMO, it will be the "Texas Bowl" (So. Miss or maybe Memphis), or the "Insight Bowl" (Iowa or Indiana).

I thought the original post was saying that K-State would go in ranked (Conference-wise) as a higher seed than us, if they win at Fresno today. Obviously not the case.

I thought the original post was saying that K-State would go in ranked (Conference-wise) as a higher seed than us, if they win at Fresno today. Obviously not the case.

teams that are 7-5 have to be picked first though, then whatever teams are left at 6-6 the bowls can pick (in their picking order) from any of them.

teams that are 7-5 have to be picked first though, then whatever teams are left at 6-6 the bowls can pick (in their picking order) from any of them.

I know 7-5 teams can't be left home while 6-6 teams get in, but if all the teams are guaranteed slots (i.e., the Big XII gets 9 bowl eligible teams and 9 slots including 2 BCS), can't the bowls choose those teams in any order they want? At least that was the way I thought it worked... :huh:

Given the larger percentage of teams with losses this year that are from the top down I think we have a decent chance. At the same time it wouldnt surprise me if we didnt get picked.

I just asked on the K-State thread, but if they(KSU) loses then do we not automatically get a bid?

We do. If KjSU loses, there are only 8 Big XII teams with 6 wins (all but KjSU, UNL :lol:, ISU and Baylor). The Big XII has 8 bowl tie ins.

In fact, if they lose and we get two BCS teams, the Big XII won't even be able to fill all its bowl slots. The Texas Bowl will probably have to look elsewhere...

I think we'll be headed to the Insight bowl regardless of what happens with KSU. Talk about traveling well, you can either try to get KSU fans to go to AZ, or you can have the built in CU fan base in AZ and SoCal that doesn't even need to travel to get to the game. We really represented for the ASU game, I don't see how they wouldn't want us over the other 6-6 BigXII teams.

That being said, technically the Holiday Bowl can take us over the rest of the teams anyway, so here's hoping a miracle happens and the .0000000001% chance of that happening comes through! LOL :lol:

Conf. record comes before head-to-head matchup.

I'd be surprised if any of that matters. After the BCS, bowls only care about one thing...MONEY. The bowls with Big 12 ties have a picking order, but I don't think they are required to go by any type of tie breaker. They pick whoever they want, with an eye to whoever they think will sell the most tickets. That said, I'm selfishly rooting for a Texas Bowl berth. Last time worked out pretty well, with a win over UTEP.

For what it's worth, a lot of talk down here in Houston, about the University of Houston being one opponent in the Texas Bowl. Makes sense for ticket sales. That said, I think CU would jump at a chance to play at the Insight Bowl if offered.

For what it's worth, a lot of talk down here in Houston, about the University of Houston being one opponent in the Texas Bowl. Makes sense for ticket sales. That said, I think CU would jump at a chance to play at the Insight Bowl if offered.

Yeah, I don't want to play them..

I like to play Iowa in the Insight Bowl.. I think we could win that game..

Iowa lost to Western Michigan so yes, CU could beat the Hawkeyes-

FWIW-

cbssportline.com picks CU to play Bama in the Independence Bowl-
collegefootballnews.com picks CU in the Independence Bowl against Kentucky-

Shreveport sucks BUT that game would be on nationally at 6 p.m. Sunday the 30th of December -ESPN

the Insight Bowl will be televised on The NFL Network-

since I can't go to either bowl I want what's best for the CU football program and IMHO that would be the Independence Bowl against an SEC team in front of a larger tv audience-

Iowa lost to Western Michigan so yes, CU could beat the Hawkeyes-

FWIW-

cbssportline.com picks CU to play Bama in the Independence Bowl-
collegefootballnews.com picks CU in the Independence Bowl against Kentucky-

Shreveport sucks BUT that game would be on nationally at 6 p.m. Sunday the 30th of December -ESPN

the Insight Bowl will be televised on The NFL Network-

since I can't go to either bowl I want what's best for the CU football program and IMHO that would be the Independence Bowl against an SEC team in front of a larger tv audience-

I get the NFL Network but why bowl games pick to be on that network is beyond me.. Its a second rate cable channel.. Heck Vs and CSTV is better than the NFL Network..

I think Indepedence Bowl would like Okie State or A$M than CU.

The Big 10 has 10 bowl eligible teams. I'm not sure a 6-6 Iowa team with an ugly loss to a directional Michigan school late in the season will even fill one of their slots. Looking at the records of the Big 10 teams, it looks to me like Purdue, Indiana or somebody like that might fall more in the Insight Bowl range... :huh:

I get the NFL Network but why bowl games pick to be on that network is beyond me.. Its a second rate cable channel.. Heck Vs and CSTV is better than the NFL Network..

I think Indepedence Bowl would like Okie State or A than CU.

Vs might be on the NFLN's level, but no way CSTV is, CSTV is a joke.

Is this the way you guys see the b12's bowl slots shaking out?

BCS- Mizzou ( or KU or Okie- I'm assuming only one BCS slot with Hawaii winning.)
Cotton -I'm assuming they'd take Okie over KU because of OU's fan base.
Holiday-KU, right?
Alamo- Texas
Sun (not the gator's pick?)- Texas AM
Insight- CU- over Tech?
Independence- Tech?
Texas- Okie St. or CU

We're assuming the Insight would take CU over Tech and OSU because of our western alumni bases, correct?

BCS- Mizzou ( or KU or Okie- I'm assuming only one BCS slot with Hawaii winning.)
Holiday-KU, right?
Alamo- Texas
Insight- CU- over Tech?
Independence- Tech?
Texas- Okie St. or CU

We're assuming the Insight would take CU over Tech and OSU because of our western alumni bases, correct?

Texas won't play in the Alamo again.. Gator Bowl would take them or the Holiday..

TTech is loved by bowls.. They are an exciting team to watch..

That would suck if we had to go the Houston/Texas Bowl again but I guess I can't complain too much..

Holiday-KU, right?
Alamo- Texas
Insight- CU- over Tech?
Independence- Tech?
Texas- Okie St. or CU

Assuming the remaining games play out as the rankings suggest (KU over Mizzou, then KU over OU), I would see it like this:

BCS: KU
BCS: Mizzou*
Cotton: OU
Holiday: Texas
Alamo: Tech
Sun: aTm **
Insight: CU
Independence: OSU
Texas: Will have to look elsewhere

* There are 4 BCS at large spots, and not more than 1 can come from any conference. Hawaii probably gets one. But the Big 10 is not getting one (Wisconsin being their #2 team). The Big East won't get one unless WVU chokes next week in a game they should win easily (UConn was their #2 team, and they got smoked today). The ACC is very unlikely to get one (their best shot is Va Tech if they lose the ACC title game, and that wouldn't make them all that attractive). That leaves 3 spots for the Big XII, Pac 10 and SEC. Georgia will get the SEC's. After that, either KU, Mizzou or OU would probably be more attractive than anything the Pac 10 has to offer, much less the other leagues (Pac-10s best shot is ASU beating UA next week in a rivalry game. If they don't, it's slim pickings with Oregon in the tank without Dixon and ASU then being on a 2 game losing streak). 2 BCS slots for the Big XII is highly, highly probable...

** According to ESPiN.com today, the Gator Bowl has to take a Big XII team twice in the next 3 years, and they are strongly considering taking one this year. But the teams ESPiN named were Texas or Tech, and it seems to me that they could both very well be taken before the Gator gets a pick. If the Big XII wants to work with the Gator on that this year, they might broker a deal where the Alamo Bowl might take aTm or OSU (better fits for a Texas game than CU) and leave Tech for the Gator... EDIT: I had forgotten the Gator picks ahead of the Alamo if they take a Big XII team. So it would probably be Tech to the Gator and aTm to the Alamo...

There is one more very entertaining possibility... If OU wins the Big XII championship, they would be slotted for the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta Bowl is also probably the most logical landing spot for Hawaii. I wonder what Stoops will say when they tell him he gets another bowl matchup against another undefeated WAC team??? :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Assuming the remaining games play out as the rankings suggest (KU over Mizzou, then KU over OU), I would see it like this:

BCS: KU
BCS: Mizzou*
Cotton: OU
Holiday: Texas
Alamo: Tech
Sun: aTm **
Insight: CU
Independence: OSU
Texas: Will have to look elsewhere

* There are 4 BCS at large spots, and not more than 1 can come from any conference. Hawaii probably gets one. But the Big 10 is not getting one (Wisconsin being their #2 team). The Big East won't get one unless WVU chokes next week in a game they should win easily (UConn was their #2 team, and they got smoked today). The ACC is very unlikely to get one (their best shot is Va Tech if they lose the ACC title game, and that wouldn't make them all that attractive). That leaves 3 spots for the Big XII, Pac 10 and SEC. Georgia will get the SEC's. After that, either KU, Mizzou or OU would probably be more attractive than anything the Pac 10 has to offer, much less the other leagues (Pac-10s best shot is ASU beating UA next week in a rivalry game. If they don't, it's slim pickings with Oregon in the tank without Dixon and ASU then being on a 2 game losing streak). 2 BCS slots for the Big XII is highly, highly probable...

** According to ESPiN.com today, the Gator Bowl has to take a Big XII team twice in the next 3 years, and they are strongly considering taking one this year. But the teams ESPiN named were Texas or Tech, and it seems to me that they could both very well be taken before the Gator gets a pick. If the Big XII wants to work with the Gator on that this year, they might broker a deal where the Alamo Bowl might take aTm or OSU (better fits for a Texas game than CU) and leave Tech for the Gator...

There is one more very entertaining possibility... If OU wins the Big XII championship, they would be slotted for the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta Bowl is also probably the most logical landing spot for Hawaii. I wonder what Stoops will say when they tell him he gets another bowl matchup against another undefeated WAC team??? :lol::lol:

Thanks Junction. I hadn't thought through the BCS slots. :thumbsup:

** According to ESPiN.com today, the Gator Bowl has to take a Big XII team twice in the next 3 years, and they are strongly considering taking one this year. But the teams ESPiN named were Texas or Tech, and it seems to me that they could both very well be taken before the Gator gets a pick. If the Big XII wants to work with the Gator on that this year, they might broker a deal where the Alamo Bowl might take aTm or OSU (better fits for a Texas game than CU) and leave Tech for the Gator...

If OU or Mizzou is sitting there, I can't imagine the Gator Bowl passing them up. I definitely think they'll be taking a Big XII team this year.

If OU or Mizzou is sitting there, I can't imagine the Gator Bowl passing them up. I definitely think they'll be taking a Big XII team this year.

I doubt that OU or Mizzou would be there for them. Those teams will be in the Cotton and Holiday, at worst. Probably BCS for one or the other.

But I did screw up above. I had forgotten that the Gator Bowl picks ahead of the Alamo, which means they should be able to pick up Tech, which would probably send aTm to the Alamo Bowl...

I doubt that OU or Mizzou would be there for them. Those teams will be in the Cotton and Holiday, at worst. Probably BCS for one or the other.

But I did screw up above. I had forgotten that the Gator Bowl picks ahead of the Alamo, which means they should be able to pick up Tech, which would probably send aTm to the Alamo Bowl...

personally i think they take tech.

Local news just said they think Colorado will be one of teams in the Insight against Iowa or Indiana. I sure hope so! :thumbsup:

Back