What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which non-Seniors are we losing?

What’s a pre madona?
sonny-bono-and-cher-attend-the-academy-awards-ceremony-at-the-dorothy-chandler-pavilion-on-march-27-1973-in-los-angeles-california-photo-by-michael-ochs-archivesgetty-images.jpg

A pre madona is the young Mary before she gave birth to Jesus. Don't you guys read?

love the post about Hagan not able to handle premadona types, I fully agree.
To clarify, even if it’s true that “Hagen can’t handle premadonas,” it’s only “premadonas” who haven’t done squat yet. What good player, who has actually been productive, has Hagen not gotten along with? Marcus Houston? If there’s an example, I am just blocking on it (which might help the whole situation in the first place, as well).

To clarify, even if it’s true that “Hagen can’t handle premadonas,” it’s only “premadonas” who haven’t done squat yet. What good player, who has actually been productive, has Hagen not gotten along with? Marcus Houston? If there’s an example, I am just blocking on it (which might help the whole situation in the first place, as well).
Darrell Scott?

Unless Clayton has a personal relationship with a coach who has some clout, I don't see any top programs taking a chance on a guy that was the #4 RB at CU. There's a reason for that most likely. Could be that Hagan holds a grudge like a 5th grader (LOL) but it also could say something about Clayton. I'm going to guess his chances are better than average of ending up at a directional school.

Marcus Houston - “she” was run off by EB, not Hagan. Transferred to CSU for an unremarkable career even for them.

Brian Calhoun - coached by EB, but departed after EB left, and Barnett suspended. Lots of rumors of why he transferred, but eventually it wasn’t playing time, it wasn’t the coaches, he just didn’t like Boulder and wanted to go home to Wisconsin.

Darrell Scott - lost his job to speedy, got fat, and transferred. Never did much at south Florida in brief career, inexplicably came out early for NFL draft, didn’t get drafted, and whereabouts unknown. Not a Hagan issue at all.

Jaren Mangham - showed some flashes here and there, but was getting buried on the depth chart. Not very shifty, mostly a short yardage back at USF now, had a good year punching runs in for TDs, but nothing spectacular.

Ashaad Clayton - never saw much of the field. We shall see where he lands.

The problem with CU fans is they get all jacked up for the four star running back recruit the team signs every four years or so. A team like, say, Florida signs a four star running back or two every single year. Most wash out, but no one cares because there is another four star in the wings. At CU, there is not. So, the lone four star RB gets all the hype and he must be great. The only explanation is some grand problem by Hagan.

CU isn’t snakebit on four stars. The problem is that CU doesn’t sign enough high three star and four star players. It’s a volume issue. You know some will be over hyped, some won’t put in the work, some will be head cases, but if you recruit in enough volume, you’ll have real depth among the ones that are good gets.

The WR room has had lots of highly rated players whiff and transfer in recent years. Everyone yawned because Chev, for all his faults at OC, recruited that position, until recently, with sufficient highly touted players that we could handle some high profile transfers and still have a Rice or a MLC waiting in the wings.

True “good depth” at CU pretty much sucks at every position except WR (and that’s now looking not so good). By comparison, Hagan’s running back group actually looks ok I guess for now, but that’s damning with faint praise. Hagan needs to close with someone good in the 2022 cycle, but there are worse offenders on the coaching staff.

Unless Clayton has a personal relationship with a coach who has some clout, I don't see any top programs taking a chance on a guy that was the #4 RB at CU. There's a reason for that most likely. Could be that Hagan holds a grudge like a 5th grader (LOL) but it also could say something about Clayton. I'm going to guess his chances are better than average of ending up at a directional school.
If I'm a coach at any other school I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in where a particular "skill position" player was on the CU depth chart. The present CU running game is pretty good between the five yard lines but inside, not so much. Kudos to Broussard who's been a nice surprise, but if Hagan is ever let go it would be fine with me. If I'm Clayton, I'd definitely go to a directional school and roll up some big numbers.

Marcus Houston - “she” was run off by EB, not Hagan. Transferred to CSU for an unremarkable career even for them.

Brian Calhoun - coached by EB, but departed after EB left, and Barnett suspended. Lots of rumors of why he transferred, but eventually it wasn’t playing time, it wasn’t the coaches, he just didn’t like Boulder and wanted to go home to Wisconsin.

Darrell Scott - lost his job to speedy, got fat, and transferred. Never did much at south Florida in brief career, inexplicably came out early for NFL draft, didn’t get drafted, and whereabouts unknown. Not a Hagan issue at all.

Jaren Mangham - showed some flashes here and there, but was getting buried on the depth chart. Not very shifty, mostly a short yardage back at USF now, had a good year punching runs in for TDs, but nothing spectacular.

The problem with CU fans is they get all jacked up for the four star running back recruit the team signs every four years or so. A team like, say, Florida signs a four star running back or two every single year. Most wash out, but no one cares because there is another four star in the wings. At CU, there is not. So, the lone four star RB gets all the hype and he must be great. The only explanation is some grand problem by Hagan.

CU isn’t snakebit on four stars. The problem is that CU doesn’t sign enough high three star and four star players. It’s a volume issue. You know some will be over hyped, some won’t put in the work, some will be head cases, but if you recruit in enough volume, you’ll have real depth among the ones that are good gets.

The WR room has had lots of highly rated players whiff and transfer in recent years. Everyone yawned because Chev, for all his faults at OC, recruited that position, until recently, with sufficient highly touted players that we could handle some high profile transfers and still have a Rice or a MLC waiting in the wings.

True “good depth” at CU pretty much sucks at every position except WR (and that’s now looking not so good). By comparison, Hagan’s running back group actually looks ok I guess for now, but that’s damning with faint praise. Hagan needs to close with someone good in the 2022 cycle, but there are worse offenders on the coaching staff.
I like your take on CU's volume problem with 4 star RBs, but disagree a bit on Mangham. His final numbers on a crappy South Florida team were 160 carries for 671 yards (a 4.2 average) and 15 TDs. A little more substantive than "punching runs in for TDs". If I'm Ashaad Clayton, my only regret is not transferring after 2020 and waiting an extra year. I'm not saying he's going to be a great RB necessarily, I just have limited trust in the ability of CU coaches to evaluate players.

Thanks for the history. I’m awful with names.

I don’t see any great backs in that list, and certainly none that left as even the best back on our team (who knows about Clayton yet).

I’m happy having Broussard, Smith, and Font. If we can get a real OC, I have no doubt those guys can get the yards. We have serious needs elsewhere.

I like your take on CU's volume problem with 4 star RBs, but disagree a bit on Mangham. His final numbers on a crappy South Florida team were 160 carries for 671 yards (a 4.2 average) and 15 TDs. A little more substantive than "punching runs in for TDs". If I'm Ashaad Clayton, my only regret is not transferring after 2020 and waiting an extra year. I'm not saying he's going to be a great RB necessarily, I just have limited trust in the ability of CU coaches to evaluate players.
I always felt Mangham was a better RB than most people, but he was just never consistent enough to prove me right. However, a 4.2 yard average in college isn't very good. It's not horrible, but most good, starting RBs are at least averaging 5-5.5 ypc. Regardless, he had a better season than Brou and Fontenot combined, and yes, I believe he was a guy who also suffered from Hagan not being able to manage egos.

Back