What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which non-Seniors are we losing?

We have the guys to be much better than we are. I'd settle for competent. When KU can improve and actually beat a much more talented UT-Austin team... When UW, USC, Stanford are all awful despite being 3 of the top 4 teams in terms of recruited talent....

I'm not saying talent matters but without competent coaching, it won't matter much.
Both can be true. There is enough talent to get to 6 wins (provided injuries are mostly minimal), but there isn't enough depth to overcome this. Coaching is obviously an issue.

Sounds very CU on that last sentence
The part I don’t understand is that we are only allowed 25 incoming players in a given year, yet with outgoing Seniors, general attrition and portal attrition, we could easily be looking at more guys leaving than incoming.

The part I don’t understand is that we are only allowed 25 incoming players in a given year, yet with outgoing Seniors, general attrition and portal attrition, we could easily be looking at more guys leaving than incoming.
I thought that was changing next year that you could sign up to 30 or so with transfers included?

Sucks, I've been excited about next year thinking we had almost everyone on the two deep back along with an improving Lewis. If we lose 5-6 key guys my optimism goes away real fast.
Key guys? We don’t have key guys. We’re gonna end up 4-8 and lucky not to be 3-9 or 2-10.

Wasn’t a rule adopted to allow more incoming than 25 based on transfers out? Or what that disscussed but never adopted? I will search

Every program faces that, which makes the portal self-limiting. There's not nearly as much risk as people think due to everyone being under the same 25/85 restrictions.

Also look at the Juco tranks not just the transfer portal. Need to revamp the playing roster with more upper classmen.

this season has been freaking weird, starting with the two-face act between the A&M and Minnesota games, and leading to the weird wins post-canning of coach gumbo...it feels like a miracle that we are at 4-8, which doesn't look terrible on paper considering a lot of us thought Zona was our last chance at a win

we will lose a lot of guys, but nothing matters at all until we get better coaches – I haven't watched a minute of football since the Zona game, and likely won't until we have a new OC who isn't currently on this staff

We'll see just how good this staff is by how hard they work to keep players here. The post season individual player meetings will likely start Thursday/Friday of next week. We'll have a good sense of where we stand player wise by around the 9th of December. I think we lose 7-8 to the portal and as others have said, it all depends on who it is.

That said, this team is MAYBE 3-9 next year either way, so maybe none of this even matters at this point.

We'll see just how good this staff is by how hard they work to keep players here. The post season individual player meetings will likely start Thursday/Friday of next week. We'll have a good sense of where we stand player wise by around the 9th of December. I think we lose 7-8 to the portal and as others have said, it all depends on who it is.

That said, this team is MAYBE 3-9 next year either way, so maybe none of this even matters at this point.
I'm going to be foolish and hold out hope that this staff somehow brings in a group of older players in the portal and is competitive next year.

this season has been freaking weird, starting with the two-face act between the A&M and Minnesota games, and leading to the weird wins post-canning of coach gumbo...it feels like a miracle that we are at 4-8, which doesn't look terrible on paper considering a lot of us thought Zona was our last chance at a win

we will lose a lot of guys, but nothing matters at all until we get better coaches – I haven't watched a minute of football since the Zona game, and likely won't until we have a new OC who isn't currently on this staff
That's too bad. We are one bad half against UCLA from having won 3 in a row and 4/5

From what I hear Terrance Lang had his mind made up before the season started that this was going to be his last year in Boulder.

From what I hear Terrance Lang had his mind made up before the season started that this was going to be his last year in Boulder.
So the DL will be losing Lang and Johnson. Not good. Landman and Wells from the second level. Even more not good. Some rumblings Isaiah Lewis and maybe Mekhi Blackmon might not be back. Even more not gooder.

So the DL will be losing Lang and Johnson. Not good. Landman and Wells from the second level. Even more not good. Some rumblings Isaiah Lewis and maybe Mekhi Blackmon might not be back. Even more not gooder.
Yeah, 2022 is going to be, uh, interesting.

But hey, there’s that awesome transfer portal that HCKD and staff are TOTALLY dialed in on so rest easy, Allbuffs.

KD and staff better be taking advantage of this opportunity. Clean house to be able to bring in the full 32.
Speaking of… What are the biggest transfer portal needs at this point and how many?

I feel like…

2-3 OL
2-3 DE/DT
2-3 OLB/Edge
2-3 DBs (S/CB)

Potentially a QB, depending on who the assumed new OC is and potentially a WR.

In all, 10-12 transfers who the staff believes can start in 2022 are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of… What are the biggest transfer portal needs at this point and how many?

I feel like…

2-3 OL
2-3 DE/DT
2-3 OLB/Edge
2-3 DBs (S/CB)

Basically, we need more size on the OL and more speed all over our defense but particularly in the front 7.

Lang is not getting drafted this year.
NFL is a passing league, neither Lang nor Johnson have shown much ability to generate much pass rush. All season we got little pressure on the passer in the pocket unless we blitzed.

Johnson tried the NFL last year and got no interest. What has he shown this year that says he's better than last year?

I feel like…

2-3 OL
2-3 DE/DT
2-3 OLB/Edge
2-3 DBs (S/CB)

So we need to get a little over half of next year's starters in the portal.

Seems like a viable way to build a team.

[Note: I agree with you.]

Back