What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

I'll say this - the Lindgren experiment at Oregon State right now is killing me.
All coaching arrangements being an experiment he never struck me as someone who couldnt coach. They seem to have good recruiting, player buy in, and coaching chemistry.

And Ill venture a guess that its Always easier to get players in to Beaverlandia than it is at CU.

Not as a career rehab start for him. He would view this job as Pac 12 is winnable and CU already has ties recruiting in Texas. He wouldn't look to be here long IMO.
I don’t think so, Bob. I’m guessing he would rather go back to a good G5 program than CU to “rehab”. I’m thinking Cincinnati if Fickell leaves.

I don’t think so, Bob. I’m guessing he would rather go back to a good G5 program than CU to “rehab”. I’m thinking Cincinnati if Fickell leaves.
I actually think CU could be a very attractive program for Herman IF we make some AD changes (i.e. not requiring alum coaches). He got his lottery payday from Texas and we would have the budget for a leg up in salaries with a change. It would be a job that he could mold as he wishes. He would make an immediate impact in recruiting TX and CA. Colorado would be foolish not to have his agent on the horn right now.

Yes, I know we are fools, so this is unlikely.

I actually think CU could be a very attractive program for Herman IF we make some AD changes (i.e. not requiring alum coaches). He got his lottery payday from Texas and we would have the budget for a leg up in salaries with a change. It would be a job that he could mold as he wishes. He would make an immediate impact in recruiting TX and CA. Colorado would be foolish not to have his agent on the horn right now.

Yes, I know we are fools, so this is unlikely.
Yeah I agree but the whole AD making changes aint happening which is why Tom Herman is a pipe dream.

Funny guy-and no, I don't want that. Frankly, I want whoever can find a way to just get us back to bowl games regularly. That shouldn't be that hard-especially in this dog**** league. Somehow, nobody (including your boy Melvin) has been able to do it. I'm not interested in going after some coordinator from the Nick Saban/Kirby Smart tree after Mel Tucker and the Steve Sarkisian flirtation, but Tom Herman would be great. He's got Texas buyout money for a while. No idea what he's making with the Bears, but they may owe him some after they inevitably can Matt Nagy. I'm also not real concerned about him moving on quickly-I don't see somebody in the south going hard after him given how vocal he was in his support of BLM (Texas' boosters didn't like this at all) last year. Could we lose him if we got him to somebody like Michigan after they inevitably part ways with Harbaugh? Sure-but I'm willing to take that chance. I'd also be all for hiring Harbaugh if he's available this winter.
You literally said no to Dan Lanning because he’d jump ship after a year or two

If RG stands down on the alumni hiring requirements, the job can be attractive again. It is not a difficult trade off.

So that's basically firing Chiaverini then. Easy. As far as Hagan, I can think of like several different things that are more of a problem with this offense right now than his group. I don't really care either way if he's on staff or not.

Do we have a source to believe this alumni hiring requirement is real? Or is it only fan conjecture and extrapolation from a couple data points.

You literally said no to Dan Lanning because he’d jump ship after a year or two

Or spurn us at the last second like Sarkisian did. Herman is a different deal. He's got the Texas buyout money for a while. I'm not worried at all about losing him (if we hypothetically hired him) to somebody in the south because of how vocal he was in his support of BLM (He's 100% right, but no booster for any program worth a **** in the south thinks that) last year. Could somebody like Michigan sniff around him? Sure-but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Do we have a source to believe this alumni hiring requirement is real? Or is it only fan conjecture and extrapolation from a couple data points.

Not likely-probably some bull**** somebody invented just like the nonsense about RG supposedly making a bunch of promises he knew he couldn't keep to Mel Tucker was.

I said this in another thread and I’ll repeat here: RG needs to figure out what kind of program he wants to be and then hire somebody who knows how to recruit the kinds of players necessary to be that kind of program. If Wisconsin (for example) is our benchmark, then hire somebody with deep understanding of the culture, strengths and weaknesses of Wisconsin to bring that here. Where we have killed ourselves was going and hiring Tucker - an SEC guy with Big Ten roots who knows how to play big boy football and has certain expectations for how a big time program should be run - and then completely switching gears and hiring Dorrell - a career WR coach who had been away from college football for several years but also had some loose ties to CU. I’m not suggesting we go and hire the next up and coming DC at a major SEC school. I’m suggesting we first figure out what we want to be, and then commit the resources to get there. Lay out a roadmap, and follow it.

It’s pretty obvious Dorrell is not the guy. The next guy needs to have a plan that aligns with the vision of what RG wants the program to be. If the next guy leaves, hire somebody just like him. Don’t abandon the plan. Be consistent with your goals and your vision and you’ll eventually get there. We’ve been ridiculously inconsistent over the last 20 years, and it shows.
One guy who I *think* fits what we probably want to do is Tom Herman. He’s young, has strong ties to Texas and the Midwest. Can put together a solid staff, and is probably looking for a little redemption right now.
This is an important concept. RG needs to decide this now before KD is let go.

Or spurn us at the last second like Sarkisian did. Herman is a different deal. He's got the Texas buyout money for a while. I'm not worried at all about losing him (if we hypothetically hired him) to somebody in the south because of how vocal he was in his support of BLM (He's 100% right, but no booster for any program worth a **** in the south thinks that) last year. Could somebody like Michigan sniff around him? Sure-but that's a chance I'm willing to take.
Yeah okay let's go hire somebody like Dan Lanning who is gone first chance he gets-just like the last coordinator we hired did.

Not only that-but the way this thing is heading we're going to need a guy who can get us out of the ditch.
Why are you concerned with losing another HC? The situations like Tucker are extremely rare. If Lanning were to have success here and leave, that’s great, assuming RG doesn’t **** up the contract for the third time.

It's also not as hard to win here as we make it look. I'm not talking 10 win seasons, but 7-8 consistently bowling should be easy for a competent coach. A competent coach can overcome a lot of silly obstacles and marginalize them.
If that person has a staff that is deeply committed to recruiting quality talent from CA and TX, you’re absolutely correct.

Why are you concerned with losing another HC? The situations like Tucker are extremely rare. If Lanning were to have success here and leave, that’s great, assuming RG doesn’t **** up the contract for the third time.

What's to say Smart wouldn't talk him into staying at UGA like Saban did Sarkisian? We all know how prepared our AD was for that to happen. Easy solution: Stay the **** away from that coaching tree.

What's to say Smart wouldn't talk him into staying at UGA like Saban did Sarkisian? We all know how prepared our AD was for that to happen. Easy solution: Stay the **** away from that coaching tree.
What do you mean? Smart didn’t convince Tucker to leave. Tucker came here and left in one of the most unique circumstances in recent memory. Saban convinced his OC to stay and win a Natty, made him the highest paid coordinator in history and told him he’d get an elite HC job. Ok?

MacIntyre was a significantly better coach than KD. I would swap them in a second.

You should be the AD. I'm sure you would be roundly lauded for hiring the guy you rightfully previously fired away from his DC job at Memphis.

What do you mean? Smart didn’t convince Tucker to leave. Tucker came here and left in one of the most unique circumstances in recent memory. Saban convinced his OC to stay and win a Natty, made him the highest paid coordinator in history and told him he’d get an elite HC job. Ok?
Yeah that take was ridiculous - stay away from Lanning because Smart might talk him out of it?? Smart didn’t talk Tucker out of the CU job.

I think the bigger problem with Lanning is he would certainly talk to Tucker before considering a CU job and not sure Tucker is going to advocate.

Back