What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should win the title

Who should win

• Total voters
Using your logic:

2007 - no undefeated teams = No National Champion
2006 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Boise State
2005 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Texas
2004 - three undefeated teams = Split National Champions = USC, Auburn, UTah
2003 - no undefeated teams = No National Champion
2002 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Ohio State
2001 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Miami
2000 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Oklahoma
1999 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Florida State & Marshall
1998 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Tennessee & Tulane
1997 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Nebraska & Michigan
1996 - no undefeated teams = No National Champion
1995 - one undefeated team, one one-tie team = National Champion = Nebraska (Tulane)
1994 - two undefeated teams, one one-tie team = Split National Champions = Nebraska & Penn State (Texas A&M)
1993 - one undefeated team = National Champion = Auburn (Auburn did not participate in post season competition due to NCAA sanctions)
1992 - one undefeated team, one 3-tie team = National Champion = Alabama (Michigan)
1991 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Miami & Washington
1990 - one one-tie team = National Champion = Georgia Tech
1989 - no undefeated teams = no national champion
1988 - one undefeated team = National Champion = Notre Dame
1987 - one undefeated team, one one-tie team = National Champion = Miami (Syracuse)
1986 - one undefeated team = National Champion = Penn State
1985 - no undefeated teams = no national champions

Here is the thing though, this year, no matter how you spin it, Utah played an impressive schedule. They beat several teams in the top 25 and they beat a team tha was #1 for most of the season. You combine this with the fact that they are undefeated and their argument is better than anyone else's. People point to Michigan and say they had a down year, maybe Utah beating them is what made them have a down year? If Michigan wins that game their season isn't starting off with a tailspin to the smoking hole in the ground. Point is, they are undefeated and played a good schedule.

UT, OU, Florida, USC all have losses. Their schedules were a tougher but not enough to erase a full loss. It would break a tie but not a full loss! OU got a big boost from having a CCG but lost against their toughest opponent this year. USC lost to a school that Utah beat, Florida couldn't beat Bama by as much as Utah did and Texas lost to a team that couldn't win a bowl game and not to mention got lucky in a gimmi bowl game.

If a team plays a good schedule and goes undefeated when everyone else has a loss even though their schedule was harder, the undefeated team doesn't have to explain a loss away. A slightly tougher schedule just means you win the tie breaker. Now if Ball State was undefeated, then yeah I agree they have no business in the talk because their schedule wasn't even close to a tough one. Utah played several ranked teams though and beat everyone they played.

Anyone have the strenght of schedule list for all college teams... I am curious to see where Utah ranks compared to everyone else in the country. Those big schools had some patsies on their schedules too.

I don't really understand how some of you continue to argue that Utah should be NC beceause they are undefeated.

I mean, a toddler could understand the difference in the schedules they played in the ***MWC*** - a conference in which CSU of all teams was successful - and the schedules that OU and Florida played.

Florida had one loss by one point to an MSU team that will probably be ranked near the top 10 in the postseason polls and that just embarrassed a great Texas Tech team.

Oklahoma had a close loss against a Texas team that had a very, very legitimate claim to be playing in the NC game.

There is no logical argument for Utah winning the NC. The system is unfair but that's just the way it is at the moment. If these teams want to play in the NC games under the current broken system they need to get their stuff together and work their way into a real conference.

The undefeated argument does not fly when you play crappy competition. The fact that they play in a conference in which CSU was successful says it all. They played absolute cupcakes for 3/4 of their season. In the SEC and Big 12 - EVERY week with 1 or 2 exceptions you play quality competition, particularly in the SEC which is once again revealing itself to be the strongest conference in the land. Even the bottom feeders in that conference are good teams.

I did a quick google search and uncovered this which says that Utah played the #83 schedule.

Florida played the #10 schedule
Oklahoma played the #9 schedule

There is no logical argument for Utah winning the NC.

How about this one?

"The BCS is ****ing awful, so I want the national title picture to be viewed as a massive, irrefutable trainwreck every year in the hopes that at some point we'll get a legitimate playoff."

Sounds pretty logical to me.

How about this one?

"The BCS is ****ing awful, so I want the national title picture to be viewed as a massive, irrefutable trainwreck every year in the hopes that at some point we'll get a legitimate playoff."

Sounds pretty logical to me.

winner winner chicken dinner!

I did a quick google search and uncovered this which says that Utah played the #83 schedule.

Florida played the #10 schedule
Oklahoma played the #9 schedule

I took a quick a look page and don't fully understand how they're coming up with the SOS, but if it's how I think it is, which is by taking into account the strength of the opponent based on their ranking, record, opponents, strength of their opponents, etc., then I think it's a good indicator. It's the SOS listings which only take into account records are the ones that aren't a true indicator. In other words, playing a 10-0 Ball State team should not give you more or even as much credit as playing a 9-1 UT or OU team, for example.

Simply put, strengths of schedules shouldn't be based solely on your opponents' won-loss records.

Utah deserves a SHARE of the mNC. The "m" stands for mythical, right? The "m" goes away if Utah got to play the winner of FUOU. [The FU stands for...ummm...Florida University].

But sense they don't have that game, Utah does not get a full share. Just a part. It will come from a fairy, who will deliver a nice crystal beehive, designed by Baccarat and sold by Sears.

If Notre Dame played Utah's schedule with the same results, this wouldn't be a question. The Golden Domers would have bypassed the Sugar Bowl and gone straight to tonight's game. Florida and UT would have had their own Sour Grapes bowls.

I bring up Notre Fat Coach only because Utah deserves the same respect, if not more, than the boys in South Bend. What has ND done to deserve respect this millenum? If you think an undefeated ND team would be playing in tonight's game, they you have to afford equal or more respect to the Utes.

are you dishing Oklahoma for scheduling the Washington Huskies... when the schedule was made for this home and home, Washington was actually a fairly decent team.....

My statement came from my opinions. Not dishing on OU at all. I think with the current format for deciding a champion, Utah is the one team in the country with a legitimate complaint if they are not #1.

From what I've seen I think USC is currently the best team in the nation. Tonight's UF vs. OU game reinforces that opinion for me. USC lost a game (just like many other teams).... so they didn't really take care of business and though they can argue for #1 they didn't get it done on the field. Only Utah did.

Utah played a solid OOC schedule. That's all I'm saying. They have quality wins on their schedule.

OU vs UW this year has no bearing on this topic, IMO. When it was scheduled UW should have been good by this year. Ty Willingham then happened... Kind of like Michigan for Utah I suppose.

I do have have a problem with teams that schedule cupcakes OOC (i.e. - division II teams) in order to pad their schedule and stats so the "formula" can see they're the best. I'm not talking about one cupcake OOC, I'm talking several... Utah played AT Michigan and AT OSU this year.... and won.

The current system is set up in a way that encourages schedule padding and running up the score. One more reason I prefer the old format.

you couldnt be more worng. I'd say the same thing if it was Texas/USC/Florida/Penn State/TTech/Florida or any other one loss teams playing tonight against each, not just OU/UF. If these schools want to play for the "glass" then man up and do what it takes to join the BCS. Its the plan we have in place right now to determine a MNC, flawed at times, well ok most of the time, but its what we have.

Like Junc siad, Utah beat a very uninspired "Bama team.... if those 2 teams lined up 9 more times or 99 more time Utah and 'Bama, Bama would win all of the games.....

and what about Hawaii last year????

You guys crack me up with your excuses about Alabama not a getting a good night sleep or forgetting to eat their wheaties. Don't make excuses for them. They are more than capable of doing for themselves. Any way you cut it, wether they laid down or not, Utah won and kicked their a$$es in the process.

I guess the question is wether Utah sacked JPW on their own 8 times or wether the Alabama offensive line was too heartbroken after losing to UF and just went to sleep. Eight times. Alabama was out manned.

You guys crack me up with your excuses about Alabama not a getting a good night sleep or forgetting to eat their wheaties. Don't make excuses for them. They are more than capable of doing for themselves. Any way you cut it, wether they laid down or not, Utah won and kicked their a$$es in the process.

I guess the question is wether Utah sacked JPW on their own 8 times or wether the Alabama offensive line was too heartbroken after losing to UF and just went to sleep. Eight times. Alabama was out manned.

Utah won fair and square, just like Boise State when they beat OU or when App State beat Michigan.........

I just don't think they'd last more than a quarter or two against any of the elite teams if those players, coaches, and fans actually took Utah very seriously. There was nothing inspiring in any game the Utes played this year other than that they won. Utah played the right team at the right time.

Now if I was an AP voter I'd symbolically vote them #1 to really get the discussion revved up about a playoff system or some better way of settling this dispute on the field instead of in the polls.

Back