What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why does Mike Bohn continue to get a free pass...

The FB team's success rests entirely on the shoulders of JE. No committment from the admin or athletic dept. Its on the HC alone and that is a damn shame. That is why I think 3 years won't be enough. We should see improvement by year 3 but I am thinking more like 5 years before any real perceived success in the W/L column, if JE is THE guy. Based on the fact that there is zero leadership at the top and **** falls down. Not up.

I agree with the others that don't think Bohn puts priority on winning. Remember his comment ~2 years ago that his expectation for the FB team was to be competitive or some BS. DiStephano is about the same for demanding excellence. And Benson doesn't seem to give a rats ass either. I'm guessing that with the P12 dollars that will start to roll in next, as long as Bohn can fill the stadium with 50k fans (doesn't matter if it takes the 4 for $40 deals again), then the admin will be happy. Actual performance of the team doesn't seem to matter :bang:

Where's the outage for the women's volleyball team? They also are winless in conference play. Winning a grand total of 3 out of 45 sets.
I don't know much about volleyball or the player we have. But I do know this. We have 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 7 sophomores and 6 freshmen (1 is a RS freshman). I'd probably give it a little more time.

When the Graduation Success rates were released CU continues to show little improvement. Link Over the past few years Bohn is constantly putting up BS about how things are getting better. I kept wonder outloud the past several years when Bohn says the GPA is improving that something is wrong since the APR goes down...I think Bohn is one of the all-time spin masters. He knows the fans have short memories and will forget his BS.

Just tired of the mess.
Bad Link. But I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, the NCAA's APR and Grad Rate will bite a school like CU in the ass every time. We don't offer the crap majors like many other schools do. But I will agree that this is no excuse for not winning. Stanford seems to be doing OK right now.

I don't know much about volleyball or the player we have. But I do know this. We have 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 7 sophomores and 6 freshmen (1 is a RS freshman). I'd probably give it a little more time.

How many seasons until I can start calling for the VB coach's head? Are there any VB assistants we can fire after this year?

To continue on DBTs point, CU doesn't try to keep kids in school either like Stanford or Cal do which makes us look worse.

I'm rich bitch!

Me neither. I just saw their record last night and it stinks! Oh, women's soccer too.
soccer should have been better than it is but again the pac-12 is a soccer power house in addition to the aforementioned domination of volleyball

WTF is up with soccer? We were top 20 a couple of years back. Our class distribution is even. The one anomaly I see is 16 in state ladies out of 22 players. I'm certain that the soccer recruiting budget is less than adequate.

WTF is up with soccer? We were top 20 a couple of years back. Our class distribution is even. The one anomaly I see is 16 in state ladies out of 22 players. I'm certain that the soccer recruiting budget is less than adequate.

Nikki Marshall graduated.

He does a good job of making it seem like the CU AD was... dare I say burned to the ground when he got here.

/thread

Larry Scott 'Mike, we want CU in the PAC, you interested?'
Mike Bohn 'Yes please'
Larry Scott 'Great, I'll work out the details. Sell Benson and Phil. I'll send you the financials later.'
Mike Bohn 'Ok thank you!'
Mike Bohn I"M THE MAN!

:rofl2:

Well, maybe MB did a little bit more than this :lol: Funny **** though:thumbsup:

He does a good job of making it seem like the CU AD was... dare I say burned to the ground when he got here.

/thread

This is taking it too far. You have no idea what it was like with Dick Tharp in charge. It was a good ol boys club. They didn't know the first thing about marketing or public relations and didn't give a damn about either. Bohn has done a very nice job of turning around a pathetic athletic department. He's seriously lacking in the wins department, though - especially with the marquee program.

This is taking it too far. You have no idea what it was like with Dick Tharp in charge. It was a good ol boys club. They didn't know the first thing about marketing or public relations and didn't give a damn about either. Bohn has done a very nice job of turning around a pathetic athletic department. He's seriously lacking in the wins department, though - especially with the marquee program.

Dick Tharp was an embarrassment imo. MB did a good job leading us out of that mess, that said I still believe we need to take the next step. Can MB be the man to make that happen? I have serious doubts.

If the Embree hire fails, and we'll have a good idea by Signing Day 2013 whether it will or not, Bohn needs to be gone as well. I do not think that will happen, but that would be it for me.

I think Embree is the right guy. You can't question his passion for this program. It will take some amount of time for him to get his players and adjust his coaching staff after this year. I'd give him a 3 year leash and then seriously evaluate. He won't quit like the last guy.

People give MB way too much credit for this imo. This was going to happen regardless.

I've said it before, but I am so disgusted, I am going to say it again. The admin. knew what they were getting when they hired Bon-Bon as the AD. He can glad hand, spin, make friends, get donors, balance a budget etc. That's great. But winning takes a back seat to the previous skills...that, and running a program that is perceived as "clean". I think this is just what the admin. wants, a guy who will play the politics, run around saying "Go Buffs" but will not take any risks, especially if those risks harm the "image". Winning is entirely secondary.

Look at everywhere MB has been. Never a winner, SDSU, Idaho. Look at SDSU now, competitive and getting some national respect as a decent program. Idaho, honestly, I don't know and I don't care, although IIRC they have been to a bowl in the past few years. We now have six years of suck ass FB to show for MB's leadership. In my mind he get's no pass, but nothing will change until Dr. Phil and Brucey get on board.

As far as the P12 move, I give MB some credit, but that was on the board as far back as '94 and CU got into the P12 because Larry Scott wanted them for the most part.

Completely agree, I've always been mystified when people are so quick to give Bohn all this credit for getting us into the Pac. The Pac had to want us first and foremost, plus we just happen to be in the largest media market in the West that the Pac was in yet. To look at it from another angle, we would've gotten into the Pac regardless of who our AD was at the time.

If Dick Tharp were still AD, he probably would have turned down the invite. Not kidding.

DT was pretty bad, but nobody turns down more cash. Nobody.

We'll never know, because he wasn't the AD at the time, but I believe that if Tharp had still been the AD, the scenario would have gone something like this:

Larry Scott: Hey, Dick, what would you think about moving to the Pac?
Tharp: Well, that sounds swell, Larry. Can you get me some info so I can look it over?
Scott: Dick, you're gonna have to trust me on this, you're going to be swimming in money in the Pac. The deal isn't worked out yet, but I'm a pro at this. I know what I'm doing, and I know the players involved. We're gonna kick this up a notch.
Tharp: Gee, Larry, that really sounds fine and all, but we have a pretty good deal going in the Big 12, too. You're going to have to really sell me on this, and I'm not seeing a lot of upside to the move, especially given our traditional rivalries in this conference. I'll run it past some folks and get back to you.
Scott: Don't bother.

I also have to admit that my opinion of Mike Bohn is biased by the utter failures of his predecessors. Tharp was a lawyer, and he acted like a lawyer. Marolt was the anti-Bohn. He was great at putting coaches in place that would win, but miserable at PR and marketing. Crowder, well hell, Crowder was an abject failure as athletic director. No other way to put it. Great football coach, completely incompetent AD.

If we could somehow get a combination of Marolt and Bohn, that would be the optimal person. I don't know if that person exists, though. Plus, you have to remember that Marolt had a lot of support from the admin, particularly when Gee was President. I think he left with Albino because he recognized that support had dried up.

I also have to admit that my opinion of Mike Bohn is biased by the utter failures of his predecessors. Tharp was a lawyer, and he acted like a lawyer. Marolt was the anti-Bohn. He was great at putting coaches in place that would win, but miserable at PR and marketing. Crowder, well hell, Crowder was an abject failure as athletic director. No other way to put it. Great football coach, completely incompetent AD.

If we could somehow get a combination of Marolt and Bohn, that would be the optimal person. I don't know if that person exists, though. Plus, you have to remember that Marolt had a lot of support from the admin, particularly when Gee was President. I think he left with Albino because he recognized that support had dried up.
He also got a pretty sweet gig with the US Ski Team.

Completely agree, I've always been mystified when people are so quick to give Bohn all this credit for getting us into the Pac. The Pac had to want us first and foremost, plus we just happen to be in the largest media market in the West that the Pac was in yet. To look at it from another angle, we would've gotten into the Pac regardless of who our AD was at the time.

Unless we had Missou's AD.

I think that if we are going to criticize Bohn then we have to look at the whole administrative picture. Bohn is only as effective as Bensen and DiStefano let him be. If they are not going to loosen the restrictions that are on the athletic program, then no AD will be totally successful.

I think that if we are going to criticize Bohn then we have to look at the whole administrative picture. Bohn is only as effective as Bensen and DiStefano let him be. If they are not going to loosen the restrictions that are on the athletic program, then no AD will be totally successful.

Exactly what restrictions does everyone want to be lifted??

Back