What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wild, Unsubstantiated Rumor

All the former Big 8 schools are still in this conference, all it did was expand by 4 teams. So it's not like the old Big 8 broke up or anything like that, it just expanded.

Yeah, but when the league expanded I didn't consider it as a upgrade either.

The question about the Pac-10 is what sports would be required for CU to participate in?

If you go to Oregon's athlethic website ( it is http://www.goducks.com/ ) you will notice that the sports that the Ducks offer are very similar to what we offer. We might not have to add anymore sports than what we have.

Also, what kind of a TV contract will the Pac-10 get?

I'm not a Duck fan at all but just comparing the number of sports is kind of silly. First off Oregon is adding sports (baseball last year) not subtracting them. Second, their facilities are second to none. Phil Knight makes sure of that.

Now for the bigger question, CU to the Pac10. Not going to happen. Despite the number of CA kids that go to CU, Colorado, CU and Boulder have very little in common with the west coast. I don't see CU being attractive to the Pac10 and I don't see CU being a good fit in the Pac10. Even without talking quality of sports or facilities or whatever, it's just not going to happen.

I'd say CU and Boulder have a lot more in common with the West Coast than the trash heaps and desolate locales in the rest of the Big 12. Austin being an exception I guess and maybe Lawrence.

I would be down with a move to the Pac 10 just for the quantum leap in quality of road game trips.

I have to admit that the thought of being in the Pac 10 (12?) isn't as repulsive to me as it once was. There was a time when I'd be dead set against it. Now, not so much. I think the power brokers in the Big 12 have been screwing CU with regularity lately, and I don't feel any particular loyalty to the league anymore.

I'd say CU and Boulder have a lot more in common with the West Coast than the trash heaps and desolate locales in the rest of the Big 12. Austin being an exception I guess and maybe Lawrence.

I would be down with a move to the Pac 10 just for the quantum leap in quality of road game trips.

All I know is that the people I talk to out here who are boosters of Pac10 football teams think the idea of adding CU is absurd. They think it's too far away and would ruin the feel and the history of the conference. Now, these are just boosters and AD's or University Presidents, but I get the impression that the feeling is common. At least in the NW. Maybe the SoCal and AZ schools feel different.

Not wrestling. The PAC 10 doesn't function as a wrestling conference anymore.

Yeah, here are the PAC10 wrestling lineups, and ASU's program had to be rescued a couple of years ago.

• Arizona State
  • Boise State
  • Cal Poly
  • Cal State Bakersfield
  • Cal State Fullerton
  • Oregon
  • Oregon State
  • Portland State
  • Stanford
  • UC Davis

All I know is that the people I talk to out here who are boosters of Pac10 football teams think the idea of adding CU is absurd. They think it's too far away and would ruin the feel and the history of the conference. Now, these are just boosters and AD's or University Presidents, but I get the impression that the feeling is common. At least in the NW. Maybe the SoCal and AZ schools feel different.

I think SoCal would feel different. I've seen more CU logos in Orange County than in Denver.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people felt the same way when the Pac 8 took in the AZ schools.

The issue probably comes down to whether they ever want to join the football title game trend. If so, they'll have to go to 12 teams. And there simply aren't any more coastal teams that fit in the conference. Between Boulder and their current teams, what are their expansion options? UNLV, Nevada, Boise, BYU, Utah?? Do any of those really preserve the "feel" and "history" of the conference as well as CU, let alone better? Don't think so... :huh:

The flip side is that if CU bolts the Big XII, they would have to drag somebody else in in order to keep the Big XII CCG, not to mention keeping the divisions balanced. It isn't like the Big XII has a lot of great options out there either, unless they want to fight the SEC for Arkansas. Honestly, if it ever did become a serious possibility CU could find themselves in a pretty enviable position between the two leagues...

I think SoCal would feel different. I've seen more CU logos in Orange County than in Denver.

Tons of CU love up here too. I can't wait for that Cal game next year. That stadium is not going to know what hit it.

People say that distance is a problem, but in reality, on average, it's probably cheaper to fly to PAC-10 land than it is to fly to podunk ****hole big12 towns.

Tons of CU love up here too. I can't wait for that Cal game next year. That stadium is not going to know what hit it.

People say that distance is a problem, but in reality, on average, it's probably cheaper to fly to PAC-10 land than it is to fly to podunk ****hole big12 towns.

Sort of. Figure it's pretty cheap to fly to Omaha, KC, Dallas, but pretty pricey to fly to Lincoln, Columbia, Austin & OKC.

Like I said earlier, I'm warming up to the idea, frankly. I still think CU has a lot of work to do before it happens, though.

Not like it adds time to get there either since road trips take forever to anywhere.. And depending on group size flying is not a huge leap in travel expenses...

I hope the PAC 10 goes nutso with it's tv deal, tries to steal cu, and a bidding war starts. Cu adds ten sports with the revenue and added donations from a reinvigorated west coast alumni base including mens soccer and regularly kicks the **** out of ucla ( or what's left of them after slick Rick does his work)

I wasn't very clear. It's not that there aren't CU people up here. I see CU bumper stickers gear regularly. What I was pointing out is that the fans of the Pac10 schools up here don't really see CU as a good fit.

So, I'm sure that any CU fans living in CA or AZ would love to see CU in the Pac10. The question would any of the UA, ASU, USC, etc fans care? Or would they see it as a stretch that would ruin their conference.

One thing that concerns me with CU potentially going to the Pac is our Nike contract. Currently, we're their program for the Big 12. Do we lose the deal if we're in the Pac-North Division along with Oregon?

(I'm admittedly ignorant on this. Maybe Nike already has deals with other Pac-10 and Big 12 programs similar to the CU arrangement and this isn't an issue at all.)

CU is in a great spot from a football aspect being in the Big 12 and I just don't see the attractiveness of the Pac-10 when compared to our current conference. And yes, we're at the western-most edge of the Big 12, but that would become even more extreme as being the eastern-most edge if we were to join the Pac-10.

Regardless, if the Pac-10 looks to expand they're going to be looking for a pair of schools and I think that Utah/BYU would be the most likely 2.

I wasn't very clear. It's not that there aren't CU people up here. I see CU bumper stickers gear regularly. What I was pointing out is that the fans of the Pac10 schools up here don't really see CU as a good fit.

So, I'm sure that any CU fans living in CA or AZ would love to see CU in the Pac10. The question would any of the UA, ASU, USC, etc fans care? Or would they see it as a stretch that would ruin their conference.

I can tell you that of the games I've been to at Pac 10 stadiums (Stanford & ASU) the CU contingent was sizeable and vocal. I would think that many of these schools would appreciate having some additional revenue coming in on gameday.

BYU does not fit with the Pac. The major thing is that every university is a tier 1 graduate research institution. That's why CU, Utah and Texas have been talked up the most... we fit from that standpoint and also deliver a lot of televisions.

One thing that concerns me with CU potentially going to the Pac is our Nike contract. Currently, we're their program for the Big 12. Do we lose the deal if we're in the Pac-North Division along with Oregon?

(I'm admittedly ignorant on this. Maybe Nike already has deals with other Pac-10 and Big 12 programs similar to the CU arrangement and this isn't an issue at all.)

I know Cal has a contract with Nike.

On the geography issue, take a look at this map and tell me who may not fit (hint: it's the lone school not in the central time zone).

568px-Big12locationsmap.png

On the geography issue, take a look at this map and tell me Nebraska doesnt look like a sh!thole (hint: it's the lone school not in the central time zone).

FIFY...

Yep, Nebraska looks like a Sh!thole...

OU is a Nike school.

OU is a Nike school.

You missed his point. Oregon is Nike. Phil Knight can hire or fire anybody at that school he wants to, especially in the athletic department. The concern was that if CU moved to the Pac10, it would jeopardize our contract with Nike because we'd be competing directly with OU.

It's not an issue. Nike is a business and has contracts with numerous Pac10 schools, including OSU.

You missed his point. Oregon is Nike. Phil Knight can hire or fire anybody at that school he wants to, especially in the athletic department. The concern was that if CU moved to the Pac10, it would jeopardize our contract with Nike because we'd be competing directly with OU.

It's not an issue. Nike is a business and has contracts with numerous Pac10 schools, including OSU.

I think you missed HIS point. OU = Oklahoma. :lol:

On the geography issue, take a look at this map and tell me who may not fit (hint: it's the lone school not in the central time zone).

If you are going to make this point, then please post a similar picture of the Pac10 with CU in it. CU would look even more out of place.

I can tell you that of the games I've been to at Pac 10 stadiums (Stanford & ASU) the CU contingent was sizeable and vocal. I would think that many of these schools would appreciate having some additional revenue coming in on gameday.

True. I am not sure lot of the fans out here would travel to Colorado in Oct or Nov to see a game, however.

True. I am not sure lot of the fans out here would travel to Colorado in Oct or Nov to see a game, however.

#1 - Don't be so sure. People travel to Colorado all times of the year. The ski areas usually open up late October, early November. A lot would come just to go skiing.

#2 - who cares? We don't get a lot of people from Tech, or Baylor, or Missouri, or Kansas, or Iowa State, or OSU anyway. It's not like there would be that much of a difference.

If you are going to make this point, then please post a similar picture of the Pac10 with CU in it. CU would look even more out of place.

I would if I could actually make that map. I pulled the one I posted from Wikipedia.:lol:

Anyway, we would be way out there for a Pac-12. But maybe it's not such a big deal in a conference that doesn't go in for the whole 'drive the mobile home to tailgate at the away game' thing. If we joined with Utah, those are really easy flights into Denver and Salt Lake City from the other Pac hubs.

No need they all live here.

I also couldn't believe how many fans from EWU came out last year.

Back