What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Will Whelan for AllBuffs: In search of "The Guy"

someday you and @Rugged are going to fight over this point.

it's certainly a contentious point - from a points per possession standpoint it's pretty clear that 2 point jumpers just aren't the most efficient way to score, but i certainly understand the argument from a basketball strategy standpoint the merits of a mid-range game, but it does seem that that strategy is largely going by the wayside in basketball these days.

and CU is shooting 27.3% from mid-range this year - do we really want to see more of it?

and CU is shooting 27.3% from mid-range this year - do we really want to see more of it?

NOt to argue for him, but I believe he would say something along the lines of that 2 pt shots aren't ALWAYS bad, and that they are useful shots if taken in the right situation.

NOt to argue for him, but I believe he would say something along the lines of that 2 pt shots aren't ALWAYS bad, and that they are useful shots if taken in the right situation.

The one time I got upset with Ski against Lipscomb was when he took a jump shot from 18 1/2 feet instead of making sure he stayed behind the 3pt line. That's what I consider a bad mid-range shot. Other mid-range shots can be very useful. I won't get upset if, for example, Josh Scott neutralizes a double team with a step back 12-15 footer.

Agreed, it's definitely situational, the idea in my mind is just to limit the # you take. If Scott finds a soft spot in the zone and has an open jumper, he's efficient enough that it makes sense.

The one time I got upset with Ski against Lipscomb was when he took a jump shot from 18 1/2 feet instead of making sure he stayed behind the 3pt line. That's what I consider a bad mid-range shot. Other mid-range shots can be very useful. I won't get upset if, for example, Josh Scott neutralizes a double team with a step back 12-15 footer.

Yes, yes 100 time this. This is the other side of the situation, 18 1/2 footers with 30 seconds left on the shot clock are not the mid-range shots anybody needs to be taking....ever.

Good job y'all. Sometimes the only place an open shot is available is in the midrange. Better to shoot that than kick it out for a defended 3. Might be better to drive closer for a layup or dish after drawing defenders, but that also creates a contested shot, which is great if you're fouled, but bad if you get blocked or charge. Obviously there are pros and cons to it and it's all situationally based, but I do agree with JG, they aren't what we want this team shooting a lot of.

A missed shot is just a pass to our bigs. Get those hands ready peoples.

Back