What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Winners and Losers

my question is, does beebe actually have a tv deal to deliver? i don't see it happening, and certainly not on a sustainable basis. unless they are looking at something equivalent to the quality of "the mountain"...

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"We don't have a TV deal reached at this time. We got verification from consultants that we are in a tremendous position."

Disagree with Miami on several points but as the facts unwind Most of the Big 12 is going to lose. The PAC Network is still very attractive because there is little opportunity elsewhere. The Big 12 gave up a network to appease Texas.

Everything I am reading is that the TV revenues that Beebe was talking about are really not there. The schools like Missouri, KSU, KU, Baylor, ISU, OSU and maybe TT had to forfeit over $$$$s to UT. OU and A&M to make the deal work.

I think time will tell who the winners but I am glad CU is not associated with the Big 12(10) under the current environment. I don't think it is a viable conference in the long run.

here is the whorns' real goal...

i think the Longhorn Network may be the most important thing to come out of this. It could very well lead to independence. Dont think that term hasnt been uttered around these parts.

link

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"We don't have a TV deal reached at this time. We got verification from consultants that we are in a tremendous position."

Why would a major network, say ESPN, agree to a huge TV deal while t.u. is going to go on the side with there own TV deal? t.u. is the most marketable team in the conference. They are going to have their own TV network which would compete with the network holding the conference rights. Could some one explain to me how t.u. having their own network will not act as a dissensentive to a network deal for the conference?

my question is, does beebe actually have a tv deal to deliver? i don't see it happening, and certainly not on a sustainable basis. unless they are looking at something equivalent to the quality of "the mountain"...

the other issue is, what is the actual split between the remaining teams for the "penalty money"? i read somewhere (possibly that shaggybevo.com link) that ut, ou, and atm get to split over half of it among themselves, with the remaining going to the other seven teams...

we escaped in the nick of time, imho...

Yeah it is sounding like Beebe THINKS he can get the tv deal but it is not a done deal. Regarding penalty money it sounds like the remaining big XII North teams plus Baylor are forgoing their share. Idiots. You said it when you said you escaped in the nick of time I feel the same way about NU. Good luck in the Pac 10.

Why would a major network, say ESPN, agree to a huge TV deal while t.u. is going to go on the side with there own TV deal? t.u. is the most marketable team in the conference. They are going to have their own TV network which would compete with the network holding the conference rights. Could some one explain to me how t.u. having their own network will not act as a dissensentive to a network deal for the conference?

It is my understanding that ESPN/ABC and Fox get first dibs to show their events like football and basketball but if a game is not picked up then Texas can put it on their Longwhorn Network. The Longhworn Network will show Texas Baseball, Volleyball and all that other crap. Plus maybe some episodes of Cops: Austin and show replays of the 2005 Rose Bowl over and over and over and over.

It is my understanding that ESPN/ABC and Fox get first dibs to show their events like football and basketball but if a game is not picked up then Texas can put it on their Longwhorn Network. The Longhworn Network will show Texas Baseball, Volleyball and all that other crap. Plus maybe some episodes of Cops: Austin and show replays of the 2005 Rose Bowl over and over and over and over.
:lol:

The OP is clearly not an original work of Miami. Where'd you steal it?

Where, on EARTH did he get the idea that the AZ schools were "about" to join the B12 South? What a tool.

I think what he's trying to say is actually that the Big XII South was about to join the AZ schools... :huh:

I think what he's trying to say is actually that the Big XII South was about to join the AZ schools... :huh:

Oh. Yeah. You're right. That is what he was trying to say. I totally mis-read it. Oops.

He's still a tool. :lol:

And I think FC is right (drumroll, please). I think this is a first step for UT to go independent and kick everybody else in the TAIB to the curb. Have fun with scheduling that one, boys.

I really don't think CU will suffer from buyers remorse. There's way to much upside in the long run. If anything, parting with all of those millions up front will hurt more than anything.
I do wonder it texass wanted CU and the butthuskers to leave the B12 from the get go? Now uT is in a far better position now to fend off any push back or resistance from the remaining B10/B12 members. The brain damage uT & Beebe was causing everyone won't be missed by CU or the butthuskers.

I really don't think CU will suffer from buyers remorse. There's way to much upside in the long run. If anything, parting with all of those millions up front will hurt more than anything.
I do wonder it texass wanted CU and the butthuskers to leave the B12 from the get go? Now uT is in a far better position now to fend off any push back or resistance from the remaining B10/B12 members. The brain damage uT & Beebe was causing everyone won't be missed by CU or the butthuskers.

:nod: You Sir, are correct. Agree:nod:

Oh. Yeah. You're right. That is what he was trying to say. I totally mis-read it. Oops.

He's still a tool. :lol:

And I think FC is right (drumroll, please). I think this is a first step for UT to go independent and kick everybody else in the TAIB to the curb. Have fun with scheduling that one, boys.

I think this is indeed a big possibility. UT has staved off the era of the "super conference" which would make scheduling as an independent more difficult and has given itself a couple more years to line its pockets and get its network off the ground before they pull the trigger.

No one has provided anything that I've seen to demonstrate that the Big 12 deal would have been worth more to CU than the Pac 10 deal will be. Neither conference has a deal, the only figures out there are the ones provided by Beebe which were provided to him by consultants. I see the Pac 10 as a richer conference, short term and long term. The Pac 10 TV deal will encompass 7 of the top 20 TV markets; the Big 12 will be Texas and St. Louis. So someone explain it - how did CU lose money this week?

No one has provided anything that I've seen to demonstrate that the Big 12 deal would have been worth more to CU than the Pac 10 deal will be. Neither conference has a deal, the only figures out there are the ones provided by Beebe which were provided to him by consultants. I see the Pac 10 as a richer conference, short term and long term. The Pac 10 TV deal will encompass 7 of the top 20 TV markets; the Big 12 will be Texas and St. Louis. So someone explain it - how did CU lose money this week?

Time will tell if CU lost money. If, when the television deals finally are worked out, CU is making more money than Kansas, OSU and Tech, then I think it was a positive deal.

I think this is indeed a big possibility. UT has staved off the era of the "super conference" which would make scheduling as an independent more difficult and has given itself a couple more years to line its pockets and get its network off the ground before they pull the trigger.
That may be the only "era" to last only two weeks, :lol: I don't think the "Super Conference" idea is done yet.

CU will be talked badly by members of the Texas media and others around the BigTex conference for another 6-8 months until Larry Scott negotiates the TV deal. While the Pac 10 and CU might not have hit the homerun they were looking for they were looking for they still got a solid double with the winning run up at the plate. I give the BigTex conference 5 years which is when the ESPN deal is up for negotiation. ESPN agreed to honor the deal through that season. By that time they will have hard data on ratings and will have more leverage over the BigTex conference. Don't expect them to be so giving in the next go around. Colorado went for a thirty year fixed rate mortgage with a good lender while the other members of the BigTex decided to go for the 5 year adjustible rate from quick loan funding. I have much more confidence in our new commish - he is an agressive visionary and I like the Pac 10 chances regarding the next deal. The Pac 10 is anchored in the part of the country where there has been substancial growth while the mid west is stagnent and the Big 10/11 is in the rust belt i.e. Michigan. The Pac 10 has added value to the conference by picking up another time zone, two more big markets and a championship game while the BigTex has lost value in any real business analysis. CU has secured its seat at the big boy table for when the superconferences do come while the remaining 5 of our former conference just got another $100 dollars to go with the $100 they had left and they still have to go by the Board Walk and Park Place of conference realignment with hotels on top of those properties. Texas showed everybody how greedy they can be regardless of how they spin it. Props to Larry Scott for not blinking and fellas while the next few years will be a bit rough going, I like our chances in the long term. I'm so proud of my university and proud to be a Buff! Go CU!

Last edited:
No one has provided anything that I've seen to demonstrate that the Big 12 deal would have been worth more to CU than the Pac 10 deal will be. Neither conference has a deal, the only figures out there are the ones provided by Beebe which were provided to him by consultants.

Let's also not forget that Beebe and the rest of the Big X administration aren't exactly neutral parties; their jobs relied on getting the the rest of the conference to stick around. I think that we'll see those numbers are DEFINITELY inflated, except maybe in the case of UT with their own network. I can't wait until UT is raking in $25M/yr and ISU,KSU, Baylor, et. al are still only seeing $8M/yr. Then, Texas strikes out on their own as an independant, Mack Brown retires and the whole thing comes crashing to the ground.

Now that bonehead beebe has the rest of the schools reigned in, he doesn't have to play good cop / bad cop anymore regardless of what schools will get the short end of the cash stick.
As others have pointed out, the B12/B10 may yet hit the skids once again in a few short years. Then bonehead beebe will have to put on his cop uniform again.

I have a hard time saying that the Pac10 and Larry Scott are losers when they CONSCIOUSLY stopped negotiating with Texas. If they had picked up Texas, but had given into their demands, would they be winners?

Absolutely not.

The Pac10 and CU are huge winners long-term.

I have a hard time saying that the Pac10 and Larry Scott are losers when they CONSCIOUSLY stopped negotiating with Texas. If they had picked up Texas, but had given into their demands, would they be winners?

Absolutely not.

The Pac10 and CU are huge winners long-term.

rep. Can't do anything when the other side won't negotiate in good faith. No matter what, the Pac 10 and the big 10 have weakened one of their primary rivals to the point of irrelevancy. They and SEC are now just sharks circling a slowly dying vicitm.

CU will be talked badly by members of the Texas media and others around the BigTex conference for another 6-8 months until Larry Scott negotiates the TV deal. While the Pac 10 and CU might not have hit the homerun they were looking for they were looking for they still got a solid double with the winning run up at the plate. I give the BigTex conference 5 years which is when the ESPN deal is up for negotiation. ESPN agreed to honor the deal through that season. By that time they will have hard data on ratings and will have more leverage over the BigTex conference. Don't expect them to be so giving in the next go around. Colorado went for a thirty year fixed rate mortgage with a good lender while the other members of the BigTex decided to go for the 5 year adjustible rate from quick loan funding. I have much more confidence in our new commish - he is an agressive visionary and I like the Pac 10 chances regarding the next deal. The Pac 10 is anchored in the part of the country where there has been substancial growth while the mid west is stagnent and the Big 10/11 is in the rust belt i.e. Michigan. The Pac 10 has added value to the conference by picking up another time zone, two more big markets and a championship game while the BigTex has lost value in any real business analysis. CU has secured its seat at the big boy table for when the superconferences do come while the remaining 5 of our former conference just got another $100 dollars to go with the $100 they had left and they still have to go by the Board Walk and Park Place of conference realignment with hotels on top of those properties. Texas showed everybody how greedy they can be regardless of how they spin it. Props to Larry Scott for not blinking and fellas while the next few years will be a bit rough going, I like our chances in the long term. I'm so proud of my university and proud to be a Buff! Go CU!

AB3, I see you edited this post. Having not seen the original, can I safely assumed it was to remove those pesky paragraphs?

We will be losers in this until we can get our football program moving forward. After that we need to get a competative basketball program and, hopefully, start up a baseball program. How long will all that take? As a fan, I don't count cash, I count wins and losses.

Some Pac-10 people (Arizona and Arizona State) are happy Texas, OU, etc. did not move into the league because they would have wrecked their football chances. Some others are pissed that the conference went for Texas and got us instead.

Yeah it is sounding like Beebe THINKS he can get the tv deal but it is not a done deal. Regarding penalty money it sounds like the remaining big XII North teams plus Baylor are forgoing their share. Idiots. You said it when you said you escaped in the nick of time I feel the same way about NU. Good luck in the Pac 10.

Here is slick Lew Perkins spinning the thoughts (provided courtesy of the University of Texas) of the Forlorn Five ....

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-big12-sunflowerstate

Back