What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woelk - Summer Development: 5 things that need to happen

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member

1. Development of redshirt freshmen.
2. Sophomores who need to take the next step.
3. Continued progress from Steven Montez.
4. Hungry wide receivers.
5. Develop strong leadership.

I don't disagree with any of his points, but I also don't think Neill put enough emphasis on the OL and DL in this piece.

1. Development of redshirt freshmen.
2. Sophomores who need to take the next step.
3. Continued progress from Steven Montez.
4. Hungry wide receivers.
5. Develop strong leadership.

I don't disagree with any of his points, but I also don't think Neill put enough emphasis on the OL and DL in this piece.

I know this may come off as really critical, but I think the football journalism in the Camera, Buffzone, etc. would benefit from even less Woelk and more Howell than it even is now. I can appreciate some of Woelk's football comments/articles, but they're characterized by more surface opinion than good analysis and valid conclusions. Agreed on his missing emphasis on the OL and DL on being strong and nasty.

I know this may come off as really critical, but I think the football column in the Camera, Buffzone, etc. would benefit from even less Woelk and more Howell than it even is now. I can appreciate some of his comments, but they're characterized by more surface opinion than good analysis and valid conclusions. Agreed on his missing emphasis on the OL and DL on being strong and nasty.
Not at all too critical.

Woelk works for CU now and publishes on the athletic department's website. He is not the same kind of journalist he was when he worked for the Daily Camera. His job is different now.

I’d say he’s the Mike Klis of CU Football, but that’s be an insult to Woelk.

No, there is a huge difference.

Woelk is very clear in what he does that he is an employee of the CU athletic department. His job is to put CU in a positive light and he does a good job at it.

Klis pretends like he is an independent working journalist who happens to report of the Broncos as his beat. Instead he trades any form of objectivity to be the channel through which the organization passes the information they don't want to put on a press release or speak about in the open media sessions.

Woelk was pretty good in his camera days. As said up thread, working for the athletic department is a different animal.

I think Rooney is probably the best beat reporter we’ve had covering the buffs in a long time but he certainly benefits from how much more open men’s hoops is compared to football.

I'll give Woelk the benefit of the doubt about last year since the coaches were pumping a bunch of sunshine because they didn't expect either of the lines to be as bad as they were. Remember all of the hype around Javier directly from Mac?

Going forward though I think he will be more critical, Barnett definitely was last year during camp and their interviews were insightful.

Howell would probably be a very decent beat reporter if he was allowed to have access to the program. The thing that bugs me the most about him is when he gets involved with recruits. That is not his area, leave that to the professionals.

Not at all too critical.

Woelk works for CU now and publishes on the athletic department's website. He is not the same kind of journalist he was when he worked for the Daily Camera. His job is different now.
More Rooney. No Woelk. Less Howell. Less Johnson.

Howell would probably be a very decent beat reporter if he was allowed to have access to the program. The thing that bugs me the most about him is when he gets involved with recruits. That is not his area, leave that to the professionals.
Woelk was pretty good in his camera days. As said up thread, working for the athletic department is a different animal.

I think Rooney is probably the best beat reporter we’ve had covering the buffs in a long time but he certainly benefits from how much more open men’s hoops is compared to football.
Switch Rooney and Howell.

I know this may come off as really critical, but I think the football journalism in the Camera, Buffzone, etc. would benefit from even less Woelk and more Howell than it even is now. I can appreciate some of Woelk's football comments/articles, but they're characterized by more surface opinion than good analysis and valid conclusions. Agreed on his missing emphasis on the OL and DL on being strong and nasty.
it does seem that the article could be summarized as
1) everyone needs to get better
2) we'll need a passing game

and I feel like even I could have come up with that

It does not even have to be "critical" work from Woelk. How about just a smidgen of insight?

Middlemiss is mentioned in glowing terms during the Spring and quitting the team a few months later. What was the point of calling him out directly in positive terms?

Back