What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's Golf 2018 spring and early spring 2019 season news and results

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Thought I'd start this consolidated pre- and regular-season thread now, as the team has released their schedule for the 2018/19 year.
(Although the "real" NCAA and Pac 12 Championship season is in the spring, they compete in the same number of tournaments in the fall. I plan on us using this thread for all women's golf news and results until the Pac 12 championships get their own thread in mid- April.)

Best wishes to the team for a great fall season!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/7/20/kelly-announces-2018-19-womens-golf-schedule.aspx (Just quoting the article's fall schedule info right now. Obviously a LONG way until the spring season starts.)

"
BOULDER — University of Colorado women's golf coach Anne Kelly announced the team's 2018-19 schedule on Friday, which will feature five fall events and five spring events leading into the postseason.

The Buffaloes are set to open the season in the Branch Law Firm Invitational, September 10-11, in Albuquerque, N.M. The two-day tournament, hosted by the University of New Mexico will feature 36 holes on the first day and then conclude with the third and final 18-hole round on day two. The event will mark the ninth time in program history Colorado has played in the tournament.

Colorado returns to the links October 1-2 to play in the Windy City Classic, hosted by Northwestern University in Chicago, Ill. In their third tournament of the season, the Buffaloes travel to Austin, Texas, to compete in the Betsy Rawls Invite, Oct. 19-21. The fourth fall tournament will keep Colorado in the state of Texas with the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas, Texas, Oct. 29-30.

The fall season will conclude for the Buffs in Kona, Hawai'i, for a fifth consecutive year as they are slated to play in the Pac-12 Fall Preview, November 5-7.
"

Regarding team's changes- the official 2018/19 roster hasn't been released yet, but assume one will be available soon at https://cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?path=wgolf . From what I/ we already know:
  • They lost one important player to graduation after last season in senior leader Brittany Fan.
  • I wasn't listening AT ALL closely, so it could very well NOT be true, but I believe I might (???) have heard Coach Kelly mention in an interview on a Pac 12 Network Buff-centric show that there is also a grad school transfer coming in, but IF there is, I don't know who it might be at this point. (With the new season roster not out, no idea if there are any out-going transfers.)

• I wasn't listening AT ALL closely, so it could very well NOT be true, but I believe I might (???) have heard Coach Kelly mention in an interview on a Pac 12 Network Buff-centric show that there is also a grad school transfer coming in, but IF there is, I don't know who it might be at this point. (With the new season roster not out, no idea if there are any out-going transfers.)

Just to close the loop in this thread, the team did get a grad transfer in Haley Nist, who will be coming in from Oregon State. More info on her in my post #124 of the https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/ol...-other-roster-news.105930/page-5#post-2457396 thread.

Again, welcome and congrats to her!

Best wishes to the 2 Buffs in their big tournaments!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/8/3/w...at-us-and-international-stages-in-august.aspx

"
BOULDER — The 2018-19 University of Colorado women's golf season is just around the corner, but before it all starts, a couple of Buffaloes will be competing in a pair of prestigious meets.

Senior Gillian Vance is set to play in the U.S. Women's Amateur, August 6-12, at The Golf Club of Tennessee in Kingston Springs, Tenn., while junior Kirsty Hodgkins will play in the World Amateur Teams Championship in Ireland, August 29-Sept. 1.

Qualifying for the U.S. Women's Amateur is not easy. Vance, a Lakewood, Colo. native, tied for second at the U.S. Amateur qualifier last month, shooting 1-under (71) at the 18-hole, 6,457-yard Walnut Creek Golf Preserve.

The field will contain 156 women who will play 36-holes in the first two days. The top 64 women will advance to match play before a winner will be crowned.

"She's a good little match player so if she can get into the match play portion that would be great," Kelly said.

FS1 will broadcast the tournament live on TV from 2-5 p.m., August 8-10. On August 11, from 8-11 a.m., FS2 will broadcast the event. The finals on August 12 will be televised live on FS1 from 12-3 p.m.

At the end of the month, Hodgkins (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) will represent her home country at the World Amateur Team Championships at Carton House Golf Course in Maynoord, Ireland. Each team plays 18-holes of stroke play for four days.
"

Last edited:
Looks like Buff and Australian women's golfer Kirsty Hodgkins is getting to represent her country at The World Amateur Team Championship being held near Dublin Ireland from yesterday through Saturday. Individually she's in a tie for 66th (out of 170 competing) 1/2 way through what looks like a 4 round tournament, while Australia overall is in a tie for 12th. Best wishes to her the rest of the way!
(Looks like the U.S. team, which is in 1st by one stroke through 36 holes, also has a local connection- it is being led on the leader board by Jennifer Kupcho (at -10, which is 3rd individually), a young woman from Westminster CO who goes to Wake Forest. Best wishes to her also.)

Live leaderboards (of course, with it being in Ireland, action is done for the day.):,
Individual - http://www.watc2018.ie/womens-individual-scores.html
Team - http://www.watc2018.ie/womens-team-scores.html

In addition to Ms. Hodgkins (see above), looks like a couple other former and current Buffs are also busy, in their case at the Colorado Women's Open.

Preview of both the season ( returning and new golfers, etc.) and upcoming tournament. Good luck to the women's team headed into the fall season.

Sounds like the women should have a fun challenge in this one:

"
By: Linda Sprouse, Associate SID
Release: September 30, 2018

BOULDER — The University of Colorado women's golf team will continue its fall schedule at the Windy City Collegiate Classic, Oct. 1-2, in Wilmette, Ill. Northwestern University will host the event.

The 54-hole tournament will be played over two days at the Westmoreland Country Club course, a par-72 layout that spans 6,360-yards.

The competition this weekend will be some of the best in the country. In addition to CU, this year's field includes Arizona, the reigning NCAA Champion, Arizona State, Duke, Florida, Iowa State, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Purdue, San Diego State, South Carolina and Southern California.

"This is like a mini National Championship," Colorado Head Coach Anne Kelly said. "I think it will be good for us to go up against that great competition again, get the competitive juices flowing, and get a sense of where we really are now."
"

Leader board - http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=16178

Buffs finish in 9th at the tough Windy City tourney.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/2/womens-golf-buffs-finish-ninth-at-windy-city-classic.aspx

"
WILMETTE, Ill. — The University of Colorado women's golf team ended the Windy City Collegiate Classic in a tie for ninth, recording a 32-over 896 here today at Westmoreland Country Club in Wilmette, Ill.

Colorado junior Robyn Choi had an impressive individual performance as she tied for third, finishing the tournament with a 3-under 231.

A trio of Pac-12 Conference teams finished 1-2-3. Southern California won the event after finishing the day with an even par 288. The Trojans' three-round score was also an even par 864 (286-290-288). Arizona State recorded a 5-over 869 (294-283-292) score to place second, while Arizona was third with a 7-over 871 (289-286-296).

The Buffs rebounded after a tough day on Monday, finishing the final round with a 5-over 293. CU moved up from 11th on Monday, to a ninth-place tie with South Carolina. Both teams were four strokes from eighth as Ohio State recorded a three-round 28-over 892.

Colorado will be back in action Oct. 19-21 at the Betsy Rawls Invitational in Austin, Texas.

NOTES: Choi's final scorecard total (213) is CU's best this season and her placing is her first top-5 finish of the season…Vance recorded her best collegiate finish with a tie at 24th; her previous best was 28th, which she did at the 2016 Pac-12 Preview…Vance's 222 scorecard is the second best in her CU career…Hodgkins recorded her first sub-par round of the 2018-19 season on Tuesday (1-under 71).
"

Interesting the different scheduling approaches between the 2 Buff golf teams. While the men have finished their fall schedule, the women still have a ways to go.

Edit - Just looked at the leader board (Ms. Choi hasn't started yet today), and the goal is "Top 25 and ties advance to Q-Series".

Looking at the leader board, looking very good for Buff junior Robin Choi, as she finished her final round at even par, keeping her at -2 for the tournament. She currently is listed in a tie for 17th, with all the other players still on the course late in their rounds. (The line to finish in the top 25 and advance to the next qualifier currently stands at -1.)

1st, Robin Choi did advance to the next round of qualifying, ending in a tie for 21st at -2, with even par ending up being the "cut" line.

Then, an article on the remaining 3 tournaments on the Buff's fall schedule-

And, finally, a link to the leader board for the tournament hosted by Texas in Austin starting today-

(Note- looks like the Buffs will get a chance to give their depth some nice experience in
"real tournament" golf as Ms. Choi, assume due to her just-completed qualifier, isn't in the Buff lineup noted in this tweet.)

Direct link to leader board - http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=15866

(From the Buff preview article- "Longhorn Network will provide coverage of the tournament in a tape-delayed package on November 9, from 7-9 p.m. CT.")

Buffs finish in 4th at the SMU tournament.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/30...ourth-at-smu-trinity-forest-invitational.aspx

"
DALLAS — The University of Colorado women's golf team put together another steady round on Tuesday to finish fourth at the SMU Trinity Forest Invitational.

Illinois continued to dominate the field on Tuesday and won the tournament by nine strokes with an 8-over 272. The Illini shot an 11-over 299 in the third round after recording a 1-over 289 and a 4-under 284 on Monday in the first two rounds, respectively. Tennessee finished the tournament second with a 17-over 881.

The Buffs, who were fourth after the first two rounds, held on to their position after shooting a 15-over 303 in the final 36 holes. Conditions were tougher today with stronger winds, which was reflected in the team score as seven of the 12 teams had scores in the 300's.

"We improved from last year and again that is a little short-handed," coach Anne Kelly said. "They are trying their hardest and are working on the right things. It'll come around. We are not at our best yet, but we will get there."

The Buffs will wrap up their fall slate with the Pac-12 Preview, November 5-7, in Kailua Kona, Hawai'i, at the Nanea Golf Club.

NOTES: CU's 896 is tied for the second best score of the fall. CU also recorded an 896 in the Windy City Collegiate Classic (Oct. 1-2)…The stroke average for the third round of the tournament was 76.47; CU averaged a 75.75 stroke average in the final round…The Buffs had the fourth most pars in the tournament with 166; the most was UTSA's 170…This is the third time this fall that Kirsty Hodgkins has recorded a score under 220.

BUFFALO INDIVIDUALS
RankNameScore
T4.Kirsty Hodgkins74-72-72—218
T21.Haley Nist76-73-73—225
T24.
T29.
Gillian Vance
Malak Bouraeda
75-75-76—226
74-74-79—227
T49.*Kelsey Webster79-75-80—234

Elle Otten
(*—played as an individual)
81-80-83—244
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, junior Robin Choi will I believe be starting the second 4 round portion of qualifying for the LPGA at Pinehurst (#7) tomorrow. (Assume this is typical for qualifying, but not typically following golf at this level, this (8 rounds) is the longest tournament I've ever heard of.)

After the 1st 4 rounds (which ended on Saturday), she has some work to do, as she's at +13 in a tie for 87th, and the leaderboard says "Top – 45 and ties will qualify for 2019 LPGA status". The qualifying line is at +6 right now. Best wishes to her moving up, and in any case I'm sure she's getting great experience against great competition. (I'd call myself a pretty casual LPGA fan, but recognize at least 4-5 players who must be tour veterans needing to earn their card back.)

Also, although Buffs' social media haven't mentioned her that I'm seen, so I'm not sure it's the same golfer, but i do see on the leader board there's a Jenny Coleman who's sitting in a tie for 51th at +8 after the 1st 4 rounds, so is only a couple shots below the qualifying line with 4 rounds left to move up. I know there was A Jenny Coleman who is a #ForeverBuff (https://cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4 , senior year was 2014). Best wishes to her also moving up (especially if it's Buff Jenny Coleman).

Congrats to Ms. Choi. Impressive accomplishment, comeback and (I assume) great set up for her professional goals!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/3/womens-golf-choi-qualifies-for-lpga.aspx

"
By: Linda Sprouse, Associate SID
Release: November 03, 2018

PINEHURST, N.C. — After eight rounds at the LPGA Q-Series in Pinehurst, N.C., University of Colorado junior Robyn Choi finished tied for 45th to qualify for LPGA status in 2019.

"I'm very proud of Robyn," Colorado Head Coach Anne Kelly said. "After a rough start in the first two rounds, she really collected herself and came back to qualify."

Choi finished the tournament with a 10-over 586. The first two rounds saw her shoot a pair of 7-over 79's, but in the third round, she recorded a 5-under 67. She finished the first week of competition with a 4-over 76 for a combined scorecard of 301 (13-over).

The second half of the tournament was much better for Choi. She recorded a 2-over 74 in the fifth round and a 3-under 69 in the sixth round. She earned her third round in the 60's with 4-under 68 in the seventh round and capped off the tournament with a 2-over 74. She shot a 3-over 285 in the final 72 holes.

Over the course of the eight rounds (144 holes), she recorded 22 birdies, 93 pars, 26 bogeys and three doubles.

CU will play its final tournament of the fall slate, Nov. 5-7, at the Pac-12 Preview in Hawai'i.
"

The last tournament of the fall season starts tomorrow, as the women's golf team has to rough it out in Hawaii-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/4/womens-golf-buffs-to-finish-fall-slate-at-pac-12-preview.aspx

"
BOULDER — The University of Colorado women's golf team will wrap-up its fall schedule this week at the Pac-12 Preview in Kailua Kona, Hawai'i.

The tournament will be played at the Nanea Golf Club, a par 73, 6,372-yard course. All 12 Pac-12 programs will be in attendance and results will be available here.

The Buffs have been playing short-handed for the last two tournaments while junior Robyn Choi played in the LPGA Q-Series, but Choi is hopeful she will be able to return to the line-up on Monday, Nov. 5.

"Robyn may be back in the line-up if things work out and she can make the flight from North Carolina to Hawaii," head coach Anne Kelly said. "She really wants to come back and support her team."

ROBYN CHOI UPDATE: With Choi's 45th place finish at the LPGA Q-Series, she earned LPGA status for 2019. If desired, she could postpone her professional career until the end of the 2019 NCAA spring season. No official decision has been made at the time of this release.
"

Live leader board - http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=16149

Buffs looking for their most impressive tournament finish of this fall's season- one round to go.

Nice strong finish to the fall season by the Buffs as they finish in a tie for 3rd (with #1 USC) above 5 higher rated Pac teams (4 in the top 13) in Hawaii.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/7/womens-golf-buffs-finish-pac-12-preview-tied-for-third.aspx

"
KAILUA KONA, Hawai'i — The University of Colorado women's golf team earned their highest finish at the Nanea Pac-12 Preview on Wednesday afternoon, tying for third.

The Buffs recorded a 1-over 293 in the final round to add to their previous rounds of 290 and 293. Overall CU finished the tournament with an even 876, which is the CU 54-hole par 73 record, and were just two strokes off the winner, Arizona (874).

Prior to this year's third place finish, CU's best had been fourth. The Buffs tied for fourth in 2015 and recorded a 19-over 895.

"The team really fought hard and came very close to the win!" head coach Anne Kelly said. "This event show just how competitive the Pac 12 is! It was a team effort and closing birdies by Malak (Bouraeda), Haley (Nist), Kirsty (Hodgkins) and Robyn (Choi) made a big difference.

"Overall ball-striking was very good; we just need to putt a bit better. I'm very proud of our team and the effort they have given this fall. I think everyone needs a little break, especially Robyn who has played 22 rounds in the last 26 days or so and has traveled at least 5,000 miles. We will get a bit of work done in the off-season and then go hard in the spring."

The Buffs are now finished with their fall schedule. They will return to the links for their first spring competition, the Northrop Grumman Invitational, Feb. 3-5, at the Palos Verdes Country Club.

NOTES: The Buffs' 876 on the Nanea Golf Club course is the CU record for the best 54-hole score on a par 73. The second best mark of 884 came in 2010 at the Dick McGuire Invitational, while the third best score is 895, which CU recorded at the 2015 Pac-12 Preview…This is the second time Hodgkins has led CU at the Pac-12 Preview…The other time was in 2016 when she recorded a tie for ninth place after shooting a 9-under 220...Hogkins 215 is also the second best scorecard for a Buff on a par 73, while Choi's 216 is the third best par 73 score…Hodgkins, Choi and Nist each recorded 11 birdies during the tournament, which tied for ninth overall…As a team, CU had 46 birdies, which was fifth in the tournament.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Final results - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/7//Nanea_Pac_12_Preview_Round_3.pdf

Last edited:
Had a feeling this was a good possibility- looks like junior Robin Choi , after qualifying (as some of the above posts chronicled) for the pro tour, has decided to start her pro career immediately, so she won't be with the Buffs this spring semester (or of course next season),

Best wishes to her- hope she TEARS IT UP the LPGA!!!

Hailey Schalk commited to the Buffs. Only a HS junior and 2x Colorado 3A state champ.

46082798_10209985337508778_5442587376444506112_o.jpg

Back