What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woody Paige Thinks Hawk Will Be Fired & Calhoun Will Replace Him

it will be Mac, calhoun, or McIlwain if that is the real short list.

and, of those, i'd live with any, but i am the least excited about calhoun. big time recruiter from a big time program who is used to winning and trained under a legend = McIlwain now and Coach Mac back when we hired him out of michigan.

I would take McElwain first. I'm not 100% sure on a Mac/EB combo. Can you imagine what it would be like if Mac came in here and COULDN'T turn it around? Logan wouldn't bother me as much as others on this board, but he is definitely down on the list.

Logan is probably my number 5 on this list of five, but still love the quote on why he does not spend more time around CU. If he hates Hawk as much as I do, then he just went up a few notches in my book!

I loved the "he can recruit" quote... :lol:

On the same note, I'm not a big EB supporter, but Woody's question of "can he recruit" is the least of the questions about him in my mind. The guy has always been able to recruit...

Brent Venables' (OU DC) name seemed to be in the mix of potential HC candidates last fall... Anyone know why he is not still a potential hire?

The Dave Logan idea is ridiculous unless he would take a special teams position. Otherwise, I like the idea canning D2D IMMEDIATELY and bringing Mac back as an interim HC. Then hire McElwain or maybe Calhoun at the end of the season. Maybe keep Mac on in some flavor of assistant coach.

defiance.jpg

As this poster was mentioned in Woody's thread, it needed to get posted here.
Maybe this poster is on Woody's bedroom wall, or is a tattoo on Josh Daniel's covered arms.

I wonder if Chuck Neinas has had any contact with any of these guys, or if we're even employing his services this time around.

Brent Venables' (OU DC) name seemed to be in the mix of potential HC candidates last fall... Anyone know why he is not still a potential hire?

The Dave Logan idea is ridiculous unless he would take a special teams position. Otherwise, I like the idea canning D2D IMMEDIATELY and bringing Mac back as an interim HC. Then hire McElwain or maybe Calhoun at the end of the season. Maybe keep Mac on in some flavor of assistant coach.

Ugh, enough on the BV talk. The guy was at KjSU during their glory year (s), and didn't get a sniff...they hired Ron Princess, a friggin' position coach at UVA instead, IMO enuff said. Beyond that, the guy recruits the OK/TX ground for OU I believe and that is not where CU is going recruiting wise in the future....

The stepping stone theory is valid, but at this point I think we need to embrace that chance, since it will mean immediate success and a return to prominence. Once the brand is strong again, we can get another top coach once the next guy leaves.

As Woody states, Calhoun can have his pick...and my concern is that he would have a short stay in Boulder, using it as a stepping stone. Not sold on him as a long-term solution. McElwain is intersting, but I also am concerned about us being a stepping stone. Of course, I will take any success at this point and to step up they would need to achieve some.

Others keep mentioning Embree as well. He was definitely being pushed within the cabinet last year - I saw the "resume" they had written up to support their lobbying and it was pretty good. Haven't heard any further rumblings so I wonder if he is still as hot on their minds as he was last year. Interested in others' insights if they have them.

Ugh, enough on the BV talk. The guy was at KjSU during their glory year (s), and didn't get a sniff...they hired Ron Princess, a friggin' position coach at UVA instead, IMO enuff said. Beyond that, the guy recruits the OK/TX ground for OU I believe and that is not where CU is going recruiting wise in the future....

I think that is what makes him enticing. Get someone in here who can recruit ok/tx, something the rest of the pac won't really do. Being in the pac and hopefully adding some assistants with good cali ties will give us a shot at the two best recruiting grounds.

I don't understand the mention of Logan. He says that these are the top 5 candidates, he gets to 4, and then he throws Logan in despite the admission that no one connected with CU mentions him. Isn't Woody really saying that Logan isn't a candidate but that he and other members of the Denver media wish that he was?

FYI Superman wears Bill McCartney pajamas!

Only one coach on that list has done it before (and will do it again).

Are you talking about the guy who hasn't had a thing to do with football for 15 years and is rumored to be considering an Offensive Coordinator (Embree) who has never called a play or designed a playbook?

Yeah. That sounds awesome.

random thought but perhaps Chuck Neinas can bring us Chuck Norris. He would make a hell of a coach and recruiter.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NashBuff
I had this random thought about Callhoun as the next CU coach.

Anyone notice the number of stories about Hawk's players not getting into CU or struggling in the classroom? Calhoun has to recruit some of the best student athletes out there and he has done a good job as a head coach. Part of AFA's success might be due to the military culture up there at the academcy in COS. That brought me back to Gary Barnett coming out of Northwestern and Northwestern is an academic heavy school and Barnett succeeded out there in addition to at CU. This is why Callahon makes a lot of sense for the CU job in this situation.

I don't think the other widely rumored canadiates out there could do as good of a job as Callahoun could do at CU.

Thoughts?.

keep letting Nash Buff post and you wont be able to tell the difference between CHuck Neinas and Chuck NOrris....

Eliminate Logan right off the bat. Not gonna happen. Of the four remaining, I'd put Calhoun behind McElwain and McCartney in order of preference. Best bet for EB would be to come in here and join Mac's staff as OC, with an eye towards moving up into the HC job once Mac goes back into retirement.

+1 to Everything written here. Although I would clarify my position as Mac #1, then McElwain.

McElwain would be my #1 choice. I'd love to see a guy who can recruit with the big boys and put together a staff of future head coaches. That's what McCartney did. That's what our next head coach needs to do. I think McCartney, if he really wants to get back into coaching, should coach BHS. The epic battle of the McCartneys would be fantastic.

I'm pretty much MCElwain, Mac, Calhoun, EB and Logan on that list....I would hope some consideration would be given to Al Golden or maybe Andy Ludwig. Maybe even Ron English.

At this point I would be in favor of letting the players draw plays up in the huddle over DH.

I know everybody here seems to be regurgitating the 'Bring Mac Back' sentiment, but does anybody honestly believe that anybody outside of CU even knows or cares who Mac is anymore...especially the 18 year old kids he is trying to recruit. Guys like Tom Osborne can do it, but I think he is pretty much forgotten about nation wide. Also, he last coached 20 years ago. If he does become our next HC I wish him the best, but I do not think he is the answer for CU. Need a fresh OC/DC or experienced HC in an established program.

I don't understand the mention of Logan. He says that these are the top 5 candidates, he gets to 4, and then he throws Logan in despite the admission that no one connected with CU mentions him. Isn't Woody really saying that Logan isn't a candidate but that he and other members of the Denver media wish that he was?

My take was that those were the names he is hearing from boosters.

Anyone have any idea who "the big booster" that Woodrow was talking about is? He said if he even described the guy, we'd figure it out. Does Jack Vickers still support the Buffs?

Are you talking about the guy who hasn't had a thing to do with football for 15 years and is rumored to be considering an Offensive Coordinator (Embree) who has never called a play or designed a playbook?

Yeah. That sounds awesome.

Well I'm not stuck on Embree but he does have more D1 and NFL (offensive) coaching experience than anyone on CU's staff and he can't be any worse at play calling than Kiesau.

Embree Bio

Regarding Mac... The guy made CU a perennial top 10-15 team by recruiting (not game day coaching as we all know) and, other than maybe the Pope, he's the only person on the planet I can think of who routinely fills 70K+ football stadiums across the country with men wanting to hear him speak. Who would you rather have representing CU in living rooms across the country, against the likes of Stoops, Saban and Meyer, given our limitations?

Last edited:
If we beat Baylor, the students should get in their cars and drive to WACO immediatly to rush THEIR field....

I actually will be getting in my car immediately after the game and driving to Waco. Maybe I'll do a one man field rush. I'll be sure to send pictures if i do.

Well I'm not stuck on Embree but he does have more D1 and NFL (offensive) coaching experience than anyone on CU's entire staff and he can't be any worse at play calling than Kiesau.

Embree Bio

Regarding Mac... The guy made CU a perennial top 10-15 team by recruiting (not game day coaching as we all know) and, other than maybe the Pope, he's the only person on the planet I can think of who routinely fills 70K+ football stadiums across the country with men wanting to hear him speak. Who would you rather have representing CU in living rooms across the country, against the likes of Stoops, Saban and Meyer, given our limitations?

I like Embree. I don't want another OC to be learning on the job. And someone being better than what we currently have isn't an endorsement. We need to set the bar higher than that.

Mac has been away from it for 15 years and he is 70 years old. Men 20 years his junior are dropping with heart attacks from this job. There is no denying his charisma and that special something he has. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Dick Vermeil. But DV hired Martz as his OC (where's our home run x's and o's staff coming from with Mac?) and Vermeil was also 64. Plus, while he hadn't been coaching he had stayed close to the game through broadcasting. When Vermeil decided to retire for good, he was a year younger than Mac is now (2 years younger than Mac will be when the 2011 season starts).

Also, we can't simply ignore the fact that a lot of people in the CU community are offended by Mac's publicly-stated beliefs and also remember a CU program under Mac that took a lot of partial qualifiers in order to win (something that couldn't be done today).

Bottom line is that I want to find the next Mac, not try to recycle the old one after his expiration date.

Back