What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wow. Just wow.

So Buffnick after reading the Denver post sports clipping what grade do you give Hawkins on landing instate kids ? I gave him an Incompleat as I dont think he gave it his all, and quit.

Post didn't change anything for me.

We targeted 6-8 position players and got 1. That's a failure.

My issue with the Post article is they made it sound like CU did not try very hard to recruit the in-state kids. They did, for the ones they targeted. Hinder, for example, specifically mentioned in interviews how cool some of the custom-made recruiting materials CU sent him were. As I've been saying, it's a problem with execution and results... not with effort. If a Colorado kid wasn't hearing from CU much, it's because CU wasn't all that high on him.

The Post made it out like CU coaches were lazy and/or incompetent with how they went about recruiting and that's simply not the case. These are the same guys who landed Kasa, Major, Givens, Miller and numerous other Colorado preps over the past 4 years... maybe the best ever job of recruiting the state until the 2010 class. Between CU not being enamored by a several of the top 10 ranked Colorado preps and striking out on others, it turned out bad.

Post didn't change anything for me.

We targeted 6-8 position players and got 1. That's a failure.

My issue with the Post article is they made it sound like CU did not try very hard to recruit the in-state kids. They did, for the ones they targeted. Hinder, for example, specifically mentioned in interviews how cool some of the custom-made recruiting materials CU sent him were. As I've been saying, it's a problem with execution and results... not with effort. If a Colorado kid wasn't hearing from CU much, it's because CU wasn't all that high on him.

The Post made it out like CU coaches were lazy and/or incompetent with how they went about recruiting and that's simply not the case. These are the same guys who landed Kasa, Major, Givens, Miller and numerous other Colorado preps over the past 4 years... maybe the best ever job of recruiting the state until the 2010 class. Between CU not being enamored by a several of the top 10 ranked Colorado preps and striking out on others, it turned out bad.

So I've heard in this thread that CU targeted Hirschman over Hinder and Crabb (among others) over Bonnell. I can buy that. As I've said, in Hirschman's case I couldn't agree more with the decision. Here's my problem with that... what if Nick committed elsewhere? What if Crabb or another OL committed elsewhere? Wouldn't it have been nice if Hawk had at least established some inroads with Hinder and Bonnell? Wouldn't they at least have been worth looking at as backup plans? Are we to believe that Hawk's recruiting time was so completely booked up that he couldn't have made even one trip down to see Bonnell? Squeezed in a few phone calls to those guys, just in case? Or that they saw those guys as totally not worth paying any attention to?

And how about Onyeali or Smith? No interest? We signed an in-state kicker (Castor) but Smith, the parade all-American wasn't of any interest? Onyeali was good enough for ASU but of no interest to CU? It's hard to accept for any of these kids. But it's damn near impossible to believe it's a good excuse for the fact that all those kids felt ignored.

So I've heard in this thread that CU targeted Hirschman over Hinder and Crabb (among others) over Bonnell. I can buy that. As I've said, in Hirschman's case I couldn't agree more with the decision. Here's my problem with that... what if Nick committed elsewhere? What if Crabb or another OL committed elsewhere? Wouldn't it have been nice if Hawk had at least established some inroads with Hinder and Bonnell? Wouldn't they at least have been worth looking at as backup plans? Are we to believe that Hawk's recruiting time was so completely booked up that he couldn't have made even one trip down to see Bonnell? Squeezed in a few phone calls to those guys, just in case? Or that they saw those guys as totally not worth paying any attention to?

And how about Onyeali or Smith? No interest? We signed an in-state kicker (Castor) but Smith, the parade all-American wasn't of any interest? Onyeali was good enough for ASU but of no interest to CU? It's hard to accept for any of these kids. But it's damn near impossible to believe it's a good excuse for the fact that all those kids felt ignored.

Agree with this and you need to not piss off the high school coaches because at some time you are going to want a kid at one of these high schools. You cannot ignore the top 10 in your own state. Just not good politics.

Junc,

I hear what you're saying.

Here's what I can tell you about the guys you brought up along with the other top prospects from Colorado this year:

Bonnell: wouldn't even accept an invite to the CU camp or the Nike camp on campus. but we did offer and tried to work through his dad even after he was committed to Stanford.

Onyeali: brought him to a game on an unofficial and he spent his time bad-mouthing CU and its facilities to other recruiting prospects. but we did offer.

Smith: offered, tried to get him, looked like we had him, the Weasel stepped in and pulled him to UCLA (which happens to be near where his kicking coach calls home)... so we moved on to Castor

Hinder: our #1 target early in the process, it became clear very fast that he was enjoying the attention but was a Cal lock. once word of that got out, he committed to Cal. CU moved on to Nottingham, who committed to UCLA. so we looked at a few guys (rejected the 4* CSU got) and chose Hirschman on the recommendation of QB coaching guru Bob Johnson.

Spond: got him to verbal CU early in the process (around May). strong on CU until the concussion. CU's record hurt us here. as did him having a lot of time to think about what the academic prestige and alumni connections of a place like Stanford or Notre Dame could mean for his future if he suffered a career-ending hit.

Hemschoot: CU was the first to visit his school, first to offer and first to host him on an official visit. we lost out to Stanford and its medical school.

Martin: liked CU and our coaches, but wasn't crazy about his time in Colorado. decided he wanted to go back to California.

Mister Jones: his academics never got where they needed to and it became apparent he wouldn't get through CU admissions so he committed elsewhere. likely a JUCO.

Moudy: never considered CU and jumped at the Nebraska offer as soon as they made it.

Colter: wanted to play QB and wanted elite academics. Northwestern offered both after he first had committed to Stanford.

Bell: interest was mutually lukewarm. CU didn't recruit him that hard and he wanted to blaze his own trail out of state. CU and Bell looked at each other as backup plans.

Slavin: got him despite Tennessee trying to steal him away after their coaching change.

I think that's the list of the top Colorado preps this cycle. It's disappointing how this shook out. I believe if CU goes even 6-6 by beating CSU and Toledo to start the season and getting 1 more in the Big 12... that we probably would have pulled 4 or 5 of these guys instead of just 2. Spond for sure and probably Hemschoot. Like I said before, it was not a good year for us in-state. But there are also reasons why CU either didn't recruit some of these guys hard or didn't have much of a shot at them no matter what recruiting tactics it used.

Well, the Post article certainly made it look differently, I'll take your word for it though Nik. I suppose at the end of the day it really isn't the end of the world, the in state class this year was pretty weak. It seems to me like Bonnell was just covering himself for the locals when he had to explain why he wasn't going to play for the home town team. Pretty weird how he spoke for the other guys too, Hinder especially seemed like a Cal lock from day 1. Onyeali... he really did that? I can't blame Hawk for not wanting that guy around.

I just hope Hawk isn't making any more coaches hate him and CU than there already seem to be. I really want those Mullen guys next year.

One other question that it would be interesting to know, when did the attention to many of these guys fall off? It sure looked like Hawk was getting canned for about 2 months. I would assume recruiting attention suffered during that time, why bust your ass if you're about to get shown the door (this goes for the entire staff)? It sure seems like even letting off the gas for a week or two can mean the difference between getting a recruit and the kid going elsewhere. Hawk gets blamed for results on the field, but I think the admin has to take at least some of the blame for creating a situation where everyone, including the staff, thinks the staff is gone and then changing their minds at the last minute and retaining. Now it's December and the staff has got to go into scramble mode to lock down any players they can.

One other question that it would be interesting to know, when did the attention to many of these guys fall off? It sure looked like Hawk was getting canned for about 2 months. I would assume recruiting attention suffered during that time, why bust your ass if you're about to get shown the door (this goes for the entire staff)? It sure seems like even letting off the gas for a week or two can mean the difference between getting a recruit and the kid going elsewhere. Hawk gets blamed for results on the field, but I think the admin has to take at least some of the blame for creating a situation where everyone, including the staff, thinks the staff is gone and then changing their minds at the last minute and retaining. Now it's December and the staff has got to go into scramble mode to lock down any players they can.

That's a great point. And I hate to make accusations, but it sure seemed like Hagan was the only guy doing any recruiting for a while there, didn't it?

You don't think he's trying to win? :confused:

I don't think he knows how. I can try brain surgery all I want, that doesn't make me any good at it.

yoda.jpg
Do, or do not. There is no try.

what a damn joke.....called a few time's wtf...and i never saw hawkin's omg !!! he has no clue wtf he is doing.. i say fire he's ass for that reason.

The middle part of this story will make your eyes bleed.

Seriously, how can this be explained away???

We. Are. So. Fuçked.

Doesn't even begin to describe how bad this is. Wow. In state kids who ask DH no questions after contact. Can you say dead man walking? :rofl: Then 4 or 5 of the best in state kids go completely un-contacted. Thank you Phil and Bruce. Whichever of you screwed us.

Hemschoot: CU was the first to visit his school, first to offer and first to host him on an official visit. we lost out to Stanford and its medical school.
If Hemschoot committed to Stanford because of its medical school, my guess is that he will never attend medical school. :lol:

If Hemschoot committed to Stanford because of its medical school, my guess is that he will never attend medical school. :lol:

:yeahthat:

I can totally understand choosing Stanford over CU. It's Stanford for cryin out loud. Who wouldn't want to go to school there? But their medical school will be there for a CU grad just the same as it would be there for a Stanford Grad. That's a straw man.

Back