What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WR Smith, RB Scott both want more opportunities

Rodney Stewart is irrelevant right now in case you haven't noticed - he's hurt? What does he have to do with DS getting 10 touches after Rodney broke his leg?

The fact you think Scott is one of the top two players on offense says it all to me. What exactly are you basing that on?

Yes, I realize Stewart is hurt now. Scott will get his shot to step up. But spare me the BS that Scott has clearly been one of the top two guys on offense this year when it is pretty clear he hasn't even been the top RB.

The fact you think Scott is one of the top two players on offense says it all to me. What exactly are you basing that on?

Yes, I realize Stewart is hurt now. Scott will get his shot to step up. But spare me the BS that Scott has clearly been one of the top two guys on offense this year when it is pretty clear he hasn't even been the top RB.

You are 100% correct.:thumbsup:

I wasn't talking about performance [maybe because he hasn't been given a chance to perform] I was talking about potential/talent/ability/whatever. But I suppose I should commend you on your ability to argue semantics. Rather impressive...

I wasn't talking about performance [maybe because he hasn't been given a chance to perform] I was talking about potential/talent/ability/whatever. But I suppose I should commend you on your ability to argue semantics. Rather impressive...
what performance? the showing up 10-15 pounds overweight performance? Being obviously hurt in every game after EWU until Mizzou? I would argue he was OVERutilized through the majority of the sched due to his inability (or unwillingness) to play through the dings.

Josh Smith is the *only* legitimate receiving threat on this team. I don't care if he fumbles or drops occasionally. He will learn and get better. Throw him the damn ball.

I cannot try to understand these packages the staff uses. I agree that Josh should be on the field more.

Here's my opinion on Josh. Everyone, including opposing DC's, know Josh Smith is our only threat at WR. That's obvious. Don't you think that's a big reason Josh hasn't been getting the ball? I'm not sure if he's being doubled, but they are definitely keyed in on him. Without another threat at WR for CU, Josh isn't going to see a lot of opportunities coming his way. So when he does, like the wide open drop he had Saturday, he needs to make the play. Especially when he's chirping to the media.

Guess what? THEY'RE RIGHT!

Give DS the ball. Jesus christ - it's not rocket science. He is outstandingly talented and for some STUPID coaching reasons he is only touching the ball 10 times a game maximum.

Josh Smith is the *only* legitimate receiving threat on this team. I don't care if he fumbles or drops occasionally. He will learn and get better. Throw him the damn ball.

Not using the two best players on your offense is one other sure-fire way the coaching staff has found to lose -- and it's not as if they haven't found other ways to lose either.

JS is an athlete right now. He's not even close to being a football player. Everytime the opposing team kicks off(which is way to often) I want to cover my eyes when he touches the ball. Fumbles and dropped passes are not part of the learning process it is basic **** that by this point he should have figured out.

Yes I agree - Josh is not free of mistakes by any means. He fumbles too much and his decisions on kickoffs are deplorable. He does not run great routes.

These are all mental mistakes IMO - he can learn to run better routes, hold o to the football with a little more care, and make better decisions on kickoffs.

Can our other receivers learn how to run faster, be taller, and have more agility? No.

This season is already in the toilet and the playing time we have remaining should be used to better develop our most talented players in preparation for next year.

CU is not really in the position to put our most talented players in the doghouse because of disagreements with the coaching staff. That sort of hard-line attitude works fine when you are deep with talent but when you are exactly the opposite, all it leads to is failure, which we are witnessing in spades right now.

From my perspective, with the possible exception of Simas [who knows if he will ever play a snap at CU, we do not have a good history of getting this type of player on the field], Josh is the only big time receiver on our roster. We all appreciate what players like McKnight and Crawford bring to the table but they simply don't have the tools to get it done [sounds eerily similar to the debate about another position on offense, heh...] in the way Josh does. Is he there yet? Definitely not. But he should be on the field getting better.

Oh yeah, Josh is getting a lot better. Look at his performance last season compared to this year. He will be a big playmaker for us imo. He just needs someone else to take some of the heat off of him imo. Whether that's the running game or another receiver(Simas).

:lol:

I suppose you don't care about on-field production and consider that my argument is all about "semantics," but I will take on-field production any day of the week.

Being the best is all about performance. Speedy outplayed him until his broken fibula, so he got the carries. It's that simple. I'm thinking that if he outplayed him on the field he probably outplayed him in practice, too. So why should Darrell have gotten more carries the last few games? Especially since he was hurt, and according to Darrell Scott himself it was keeping him from performing.

Whatever. I think he should have been on the field way more this year than he has been. You guys disagree. Whatever. He hasn't been given the opportunity to play as much as he should and that's all that matters to me. It has nothing to do with Rodney Stewart.

I don't think it is a huge coincidence that CU's team has been most successful when the running game has flourished.

We were willing to give Stewart 20+ carries. Now those carries should go to Darrell Scott.

Whatever. I think he should have been on the field way more this year than he has been. You guys disagree. Whatever. He hasn't been given the opportunity to play as much as he should and that's all that matters to me. It has nothing to do with Rodney Stewart.
so you don't care that he was hurt and professed to not wanting to play, and for example took himself out of the Kansas game? Cause guess what, Hagan was on your side, but Scott didn't want to play dinged up.

I think after reading the comments he made after the most recent debacle it's pretty clear that he is healthy now. Obviously, that hasn't been the case for a significant portion of the year.

Quite frankly, DS is the only hope I have for this program offensively at the moment. I would like to see him do well here. A lot of posters here and on the other board seem to harbor some strange dislike for him for reasons unknown.

Hopefully he will play well and often against ISU.

I think after reading the comments he made after the most recent debacle it's pretty clear that he is healthy now. Obviously, that hasn't been the case for a significant portion of the year.

Quite frankly, DS is the only hope I have for this program offensively at the moment. I would like to see him do well here. A lot of posters here and on the other board seem to harbor some strange dislike for him for reasons unknown.

Hopefully he will play well and often against ISU.
I dislike him speaking to the media as a ****ing true frosh. STFU until you have accomplished something besides showing up to camp out of shape and expecting a starting job.

And then once you have accomplished something, STFU to the press because you present a united front outside of the family.

Umm... did you even read his comments? There was nothing out of line in what he said. But yes, he should be crucified.

Maybe we should just kick him off the team right now and find one of Dan Hawkins other children to play running back. And then we can give him another extension when he loses some more games.

Darrell Scott and Josh Smith are NOT the problem. In fact, they very well may be the answer.

But f* that. Drive them off the team and CU football can suck for another five years.

I dislike him speaking to the media as a ****ing true frosh. STFU until you have accomplished something besides showing up to camp out of shape and expecting a starting job.

And then once you have accomplished something, STFU to the press because you present a united front outside of the family.

SCOTT wasn't the one doing all the bitching,josh "I think i'm as good as jeremy Maclin " was.

Umm... did you even read his comments? There was nothing out of line in what he said. But yes, he should be crucified.

Maybe we should just kick him off the team right now and find one of Dan Hawkins other children to play running back. And then we can give him another extension when he loses some more games.

Darrell Scott and Josh Smith are NOT the problem. In fact, they very well may be the answer.

But f* that. Drive them off the team and CU football can suck for another five years.

When a true freshman and a sophmore goes to the press instead of keeping it in house sends the wrong message inside the locker room imo. Going to the press is never the answer. No matter how good you are.

Yes I do agree with that - it is inappropriate.

It is also extremely indicative that the players and coaching staff aren't on the same page at all. Quite frankly I'm surprised that this took this long.

I think a certain level of responsibility for this situation needs to be assigned to J-Fly and DS, and a certain level to the coaching staff.

I know it's cliche to blame the staff for everything ad nauseum but I think that, to a certain extent, Hawkins needs to get on the same page with these guys and get this sort of media stuff under control. Hate to use the term "lack of institutional control" - or whatever else you want to call it - but this sort of stuff shouldn't be happening.

Personally, for me, the bigger issues are the ones that these sort of incidents indicate rather than the comments themselves. For the players to come out and comment in this nature to the media means that there are severe rifts between them and the staff.

I also think DS and Jfly probably have quite a few more microphones shoved in front of them than the rest of the players on our team.

I don't see this situation ending well, to be honest. Complete meltdown may be on the way and we may see some transfers. Here's hoping in all sincerity that that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
This article is a huge deal. I think this is a pivotal moment in Hawkins tenure here in Boulder. If he can't deal with this and players start transferring...it might signal the end. I hope Hawkins is taking care of this issue, there is no excuses why it has gotten this far.

Yes I do agree with that - it is inappropriate.

It is also extremely indicative that the players and coaching staff aren't on the same page at all. Quite frankly I'm surprised that this took this long.

So you know it's wrong. Yet you are surprised it took this long. Doesn't speak to highly of your opinion of DS and JS as team players.

P.S.

I will not refer to JS as J-fly until he earns it. Fumbles sounds about right to me.

So you know it's wrong. Yet you are surprised it took this long. Doesn't speak to highly of your opinion of DS and JS as team players.

P.S.

I will not refer to JS as J-fly until he earns it. Fumbles sounds about right to me.

As far as I am concerned at this point a rift between the coaches and players is more likely to be a coaching issue than anything else, considering they have done absolutely nothing this year to inspire confidence in their ability to do... anything? right.

P.S.

:lol::lol: Fumbles... luv it

Back