What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WSU QB Hilinski dead in apparent suicide

Geez, might be a good idea to read the links that Nik and, I believe, Jens put up. There is always an answer that isn't the final one.

Wilner had a really good idea in his newsletter. I would especially like it if they tied something in with suicide awareness/ prevention. Make it so something positive results from this.

His [Hilinski's] most memorable performance at WSU came against Boise State early last season, when he replaced Falk and led the Cougars back from a 21-point deficit midway through the fourth quarter. They won in triple overtime, on Hilinski’s third touchdown pass of the remarkable game.

Which got the Hotline thinking …

When the situation settles — and if the Cougars, the conference and the Hilinski family deemed it appropriate — the Pac-12 could create an award in his honor:

The Tyler Hilinski Comeback Performance of the Year, given to the quarterback that orchestrates the greatest comeback each season.

Freshman girl at my son's high school took her life last night. 3 students in last 6 months.

As most here know I work with at risk youth in a high school setting. Sadly for some reason they tend to come in clusters. One kid takes their life and some other kid who was considering it decides to follow.

Wish I knew some answers, they just don't come to me.

Those damn librul regents in Boulder discussing this very issue at their last meeting. How out of touch.
It wasn't that it was discussed. It was how the argument was framed. Rather than talking about CU needing to show leadership in testing, prevention and innovation - it was part of a list of reasons why football is a bigger liability than benefit or at least will be in the near future.

It wasn't that it was discussed. It was how the argument was framed. Rather than talking about CU needing to show leadership in testing, prevention and innovation - it was part of a list of reasons why football is a bigger liability than benefit or at least will be in the near future.
Which is legitimately plausible.

I think there is a good chance that football won't exist as a college sport in 20 years.

Football may look different in 20 years but it will exist. We are already seeing a dramatic change in how it is coached and in the rules to reduce head injuries, there will be more changes to come.

If you are going to talk about head injuries in football then you have to recognize that while football is more dangerous it is far from the only sport in which the risk of head injuries exist. Lots of people say "I won't let my kid play football because I don't want them getting hurt. He can be a soccer player."

So something like this didn't happen
https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-...-causes-traumatic-brain-injury-190108282.html

The realities are that if we are going to have sport we are going to have some risk. The question is not eliminating risk but managing it. I knew a guy many years back who was rock climbing and ended up pulling a large rock down on his head. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet which he normally didn't do while climbing and only got hurt instead of killed.

We will see changes to football and there will be fewer head injuries but the risk will always be there and people will see play and watch the game.

And without serious changes, CFB will have to confront the liability issue.

How does a 20 year old kid have this already?

Way too much money in it for that to happen. The game might change. Other sports may gain in popularity so that football isn't 90%+ of the AD revenues and fundraising stimulus, but football going away in the near future is not plausible. We have a vice chair of our Regents who would love to see football de-emphasized to the point where coaches are paid less than a tenured professor or dropped all together. That has to be opposed because it's an opinion that is based in an outlook on the principles of higher education which does not make sense in the real world.

And without serious changes, CFB will have to confront the liability issue.

How does a 20 year old kid have this already?
Likely not from college football since QBs don't get hit in practice and he hardly entered a game. This would seem to be an issue with youth and prep football in this case.

How so? I don't understand this line of thinking. The information is out there and VERY public. Injury waivers have to be signed to play the sport at every level and I'm assuming they are now being implemented with language that is specific to CTE and basically saying "you can not sue if you get CTE down the road". I honestly don't see the financial liability that Universities would incur because of a brain injury that may or may not develop due to playing football.

How so? I don't understand this line of thinking. The information is out there and VERY public. Injury waivers have to be signed to play the sport at every level and I'm assuming they are now being implemented with language that is specific to CTE and basically saying "you can not sue if you get CTE down the road". I honestly don't see the financial liability that Universities would incur because of a brain injury that may or may not develop due to playing football.
Outside of negligence on the part of the university to follow guidelines for CTE safety and the concussion protocols, I assume you are correct. The liability would come, I believe, from things like how Brady Hoke handled that in-game concussion of his QB at Michigan several years ago.

I'm sure the class action suit in the NFL was just an aberration and certainly could never happen to the NCAA.

I have some beach front property in Kansas I'd like to talk to you about.

Way too much money in it for that to happen. The game might change. Other sports may gain in popularity so that football isn't 90%+ of the AD revenues and fundraising stimulus, but football going away in the near future is not plausible. We have a vice chair of our Regents who would love to see football de-emphasized to the point where coaches are paid less than a tenured professor or dropped all together. That has to be opposed because it's an opinion that is based in an outlook on the principles of higher education which does not make sense in the real world.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-football-youth-decline-met-20170904-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...st-decline-in-history/?utm_term=.5255330c3e3c
https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/medical-study-reveals-cte-48-53-deceased-college-football-players

Football at any level is not invincible. How's it's inconceivable that football could become a liability if changes aren't made is ostrich head in the sand type thinking.

Where did I say that changes didn't need to be made? That was exactly how I said the discussion should be framed rather than calling for burning it down as our esteemed Regent is doing.

Where did I say that changes didn't need to be made? That was exactly how I said the discussion should be framed rather than calling for burning it down as our esteemed Regent is doing.
And a misrepresentation of the twitter thread I read.

If I missed it please provide a quote from the specific regent where she specifically says football needs to be abolished from the university entirely. Otherwise what is represented on twitter is a discussion about the risks it poses to the university. A thoughtful conversation to have.

I'm sure the class action suit in the NFL was just an aberration and certainly could never happen to the NCAA.

I have some beach front property in Kansas I'd like to talk to you about.
The NFL Lawsuit was/is about the NFL knowing about CTE and the long term health effects and never disclosing it. As I said, the information is out there and you can be sure players are signing waivers going forward at just about every level.

Back