What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WTF ram "fans"

I agree with Sacky I think that the school has really done a poor job connecting with alumni in general and especially for athletics, the out of state thing also factors in if I lived in CO I would hold season tickets ad go to most games, hell I do here for UCLA.

I live out of state and have season tickets. just use the ones you want and give/donate/sell the remaining tickets

I live out of state and have season tickets. just use the ones you want and give/donate/sell the remaining tickets

you know thats a solid idea, right now I just give the AD $$, think they would rather have the 2 tickets/seat license sold instead?

Regular tickets to the games now are what, $50 a piece? So to buy tickets for a family of four is $200! I don't know about you, but I don't generally have $200 to spend on a 3 hour football game, especially when I can watch it at home while playing WoW for free.

Fixed it for you, Slade.:smile2:

Bottom line is, gotta win games to fill the stands around here. Sucks, but its the truth. You would think with the number of alums both CU and CSU have in the area both stadiums would be sold out for every game.

It's not just alums that CU and CSU need to target. My dad went to Iowa State for undergrad and Auburn for grad school. He's now a big fan of the Buffs, and has been since he moved out here 25 years ago. There have to be more people like him out there. But your fans (at most on Ramnation) seem to want nothing to do with these types of fans for some reason. Seems odd to me.

It's not just alums that CU and CSU need to target. My dad went to Iowa State for undergrad and Auburn for grad school. He's now a big fan of the Buffs, and has been since he moved out here 25 years ago. There have to be more people like him out there. But your fans (at most on Ramnation) seem to want nothing to do with these types of fans for some reason. Seems odd to me.

That has always seemed strange to me. They run off people who didn't go there but would turn into fans if cultivated a bit. The whole 'you're not a fan because you didn't go there', especially from LF's golf buddy Smitty continually amazes me. I'll take anyone who wants to be a Buff fan, no matter where they're from.

That has always seemed strange to me. They run off people who didn't go there but would turn into fans if cultivated a bit. The whole 'you're not a fan because you didn't go there', especially from LF's golf buddy Smitty continually amazes me. I'll take anyone who wants to be a Buff fan, no matter where they're from.

Ya know, I don't really consider you a buff fan since you did not go to CU.:smile2:

There was an article about the CU season ticket holder base last year..(I cannot find it now) and 40% of the season ticket holders were not CU alum.

I think a lot of people are more than willing to adopt the local team. Remember there are many people that graduate from schools without Div. 1A football teams - Mines, Western State, Mesa, etc. A couple of the most rabid fans and biggest donors I know are not CU alums.

He'd prefer to have a full stadium. If selling you the ticket will mean somebody will probably use the seats, he'd rather do it that way. There's ancillary income that is generated from ticket sales that is absent with a donation to the athletic department. Stuff like parking and concessions.

There was an article about the CU season ticket holder base last year..(I cannot find it now) and 40% of the season ticket holders were not CU alum.

I think a lot of people are more than willing to adopt the local team. Remember there are many people that graduate from schools without Div. 1A football teams - Mines, Western State, Mesa, etc. A couple of the most rabid fans and biggest donors I know are not CU alums.

I've wondered about that in the past. I'm a lifelong CU fan and I did graduate from CU (as did my parents, so it was just about a given that I'd go there too). But, if I ever moved to say, MN (where my wife's family is from and where I lived for a period of time), would I adopt the Gophers as my second team? Probably. Would I go to their games (once they move out of the awful Metrodome)? I might hit a few each season, but I highly doubt I'd get season tickets, just because I'd rather stay at home and watch CU games on TV. But, maybe it's different for those alum (or just football fans) where "their team" isn't on TV much if ever?

Not to mention-- the tickets are EXPENSIVE AS HELL!!!

Even student tickets are expensive these days.

The entire season's worth of tickets were $10 when I was in school. Granted, that was almost 20 years ago, but still!

Regular tickets to the games now are what, $50 a piece? So to buy tickets for a family of four is $200! I don't know about you, but I don't generally have $200 to spend on a 3 hour football game, especially when I can watch it at home for free.

Bingo. Plus donations. Plus Parking. Plus food. Try $300.

I remember the $10 tickets as well.

Fort Collins has the same problems; lots of people moving into town with no ties to CSU, the town, or even the state. Fort Collins has been successful at creating jobs by attracting businesses. I think a lot of their alums live in Denver and just don't want to make the trip.

You know tickets are really a disposable income item. This state is full of vagabonds that would rather make less money so they can live in Colorado than accept a higher paying job somwhere else. Hell, I know people that have turned down jobs for more money in Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix, LA because of that. That factor will come some people from buying tickets.

Traffic is another issue. You live in Denver you have to go up 36, Indiana, or 93 to get into Boulder. A lot of Denverites sit in enough traffic as it is so only the most diehard are gonna buy tickets and ride in the traffic. You lose the casual fan you might have had if they played in Denver or if traffic was not a factor.

Last edited:

The license plates are another good example. You have to be an alum and get a letter from the alumni association (after joining or paying whatever fee) then go back to the DMV and buy the plate. I keep forgeting to have my **** together for this each year when the plate renewal comes up. I'm just too damn busy.

If it were me I'd simplify the process; you'd have the opportunity to pay the fee and have it go directly to CU from the DMV regardless of wether you were an alum or not. One stop. I bet you they would probably come close to doubling the number plates and donations out there. What does CU care where that money comes from?

I can't take credit for this. They do it that way in Florida for all the schools as well as the education funds, marine sanctuaries funds, challenger memorial, etc.

Last edited:
Bingo. Plus donations. Plus Parking. Plus food. Try $300.

I remember the $10 tickets as well.

Fort Collins has the same problems; lots of people moving into town with no ties to CSU, the town, or even the state. Fort Collins has been successful at creating jobs by attracting businesses. I think a lot of their alums live in Denver and just don't want to make the trip.

I think it's great that there are fans there who can afford that kind of thing. I simply cannot. So every fan has to decide what their priority is. For some fans, spending the money for tickets, donations, parking, food, etc. just doesn't add up anymore. I really wish I could afford to drop $250 every weekend for a college football game. But in this world of fixed income, I just can't.

You know tickets are really a disposable income item. This state is full of vagabonds that would rather make less money so they can live in Colorado than accept a higher paying job somwhere else. Hell, I know people that have turned down jobs for more money in Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix, LA because of that. That factor will come some people from buying tickets.

Traffic is another issue. You live in Denver you have to go up 36, Indiana, or 93 to get into Boulder. A lot of Denverites sit in enough traffic as it is so only the most diehard are gonna buy tickets and ride in the traffic. You lose the casual fan you might have had if they played in Denver or if traffic was not a factor.

I'll say maybe on your first point.

The second point is rubbish. Nearly every college in America has a drive from the closest metro area of at least 30 minutes. Hell, most of them are an hour away from the larger cities and those places have no trouble getting people to the stadium. Maybe it's an anomaly, and Denverites are the only people that have had enough of traffic. :huh:

I'll be the first to admit that CU games are expensive. It's an expensive hobby. When you add the donation, ticket cost, parking, and all the beer, food, etc for the tailgates, it adds up. Having said that, it's still less expensive than going to Bronco games or having season tickets to the Rockies, Nuggets or Avs.

If the Broncos were a total dog **** team it would be a different story. By dog ****, I mean like Detroit Lions or Phoenix Cardinals kind of bad. So bad that there's virtually no chance that they'd ever win anything - ever. In a situation like that, the Buffs and Rams would have better following. Football is a fun game to watch. The game sells itself in many ways. But that's not the situation. The Broncos are a good team and they probably will be for a long time. The result is that both CU and CSU have to do everything they can to generate fan loyalty and passion.

I'll say maybe on your first point.

The second point is rubbish. Nearly every college in America has a drive from the closest metro area of at least 30 minutes. Hell, most of them are an hour away from the larger cities and those places have no trouble getting people to the stadium. Maybe it's an anomaly, and Denverites are the only people that have had enough of traffic. :huh:

USC and Miami don't sell out and they are right in town.

I bet there is a formula for predicting this; something like southern states of medium to high density with not much else to do have better attendance. Name a school in the western mountain region with an attendance/sellout record. How big, what city, etc. Is there really that much of a difference between Clemson and Nebraska? How come UCLA, Utah, or Washington don't draw as well?

I'll be the first to admit that CU games are expensive. It's an expensive hobby. When you add the donation, ticket cost, parking, and all the beer, food, etc for the tailgates, it adds up.

Definitely an expensive hobby, but for me and my wife, that is virtually where all of our entertainment dollars go from Aug-Dec. And that's how we justify spending what we do. Not having kids seems to help the finances out too :smile2:

I'll be the first to admit that CU games are expensive. It's an expensive hobby. When you add the donation, ticket cost, parking, and all the beer, food, etc for the tailgates, it adds up. Having said that, it's still less expensive than going to Bronco games or having season tickets to the Rockies, Nuggets or Avs.

If the Broncos were a total dog **** team it would be a different story. By dog ****, I mean like Detroit Lions or Phoenix Cardinals kind of bad. So bad that there's virtually no chance that they'd ever win anything - ever. In a situation like that, the Buffs and Rams would have better following. Football is a fun game to watch. The game sells itself in many ways. But that's not the situation. The Broncos are a good team and they probably will be for a long time. The result is that both CU and CSU have to do everything they can to generate fan loyalty and passion.

The Broncos also identify better with the blue collar fan that lacks a degree in higher education. They've captured those dollars quite effectively. Those people have never been to Boulder, wouldn't go if you paid them, but their dollars are just as green.

The Broncos also identify better with the blue collar fan that lacks a degree in higher education. They've captured those dollars quite effectively. Those people have never been to Boulder, wouldn't go if you paid them, but their dollars are just as green.

Don't kid yourself. The "Blue collar" fans you refer to aren't in the stands at Invesco on Sundays.

USC and Miami don't sell out and they are right in town.

I bet there is a formula for predicting this; something like southern states of medium to high density with not much else to do have better attendance. Name a school in the western mountain region with an attendance/sellout record. How big, what city, etc. Is there really that much of a difference between Clemson and Nebraska? How come UCLA, Utah, or Washington don't draw as well?

Well, Miami is a smallish private school with a ****ty off campus stadium, with it soon to be a ****ty pro off campus stadium. USC will never sell out the Colosseum, same way UCLA will never sell out the Rose Bowl.

While SC and UCLA don't sell out, they are almost always in the 25 in the country in attendance. Washington is usually top 20 and regularly fills their 72,500 seat stadium. BYU also is always near capacity (65,000) and Oregon does as well. *

I don't know why Utah does not draw well.

*From NCAA attendance figures

Last edited:
It's funny too, as much as we bang on Colorado not drawing fans, CU in the last 5 years (as far back as I could get the complete NCAA numbers) has been between 30-40 in total attendance, averaging around 50,000 plus or minus each year.

Guys USC does sell out the colesium 11 of the last 12 games are sellouts and the drew 91k of a possible 92.5k for the Idaho game. USC does a wonderful job connecting with the alumni, the breed the USC family message within their ranks. Living here in LA the USC culture is unreal I would be happy nay ecstatic if CU go to 50% of the following SC has, its like the Donkey's junior with the trojans right now.

link to SC stats from OC newspaper:
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/usc-football-first-1837373-idaho-looked

Both my father and I attended CU; my son is there now. Now living in Boise State Country I can say that it is easy to pick up a local team - say like Boise State. It is easy to go to the games and they are all the talk. Winning definitley helps.

I have also lived in Okla City and Austin. Football there is part of the culture. The grannies are talking about the games on Sunday morning. CU and CSU have competition from Denver pro sports as well. Not so in Norman, Lincoln or Austin.

Both universities have to compete against the lifestyle in Colorado (do it don't watch it) and pro sports. Also in Texas you are born a Longhorn, Red Raider or Aggie. Families are very loyal to their schools - if they went there or not. I don't see that in Colo as much.

Colorado stats:
year Average attendance
1998 47,419
1999 47,863
2000 49,990
2001 47,475
2002 49,214
2003 50,431
2004 47,895
2005 50,409
2006 46,048

Last edited:
Guys USC does sell out the colesium 11 of the last 12 games are sellouts and the drew 91k of a possible 92.5k for the Idaho game. USC does a wonderful job connecting with the alumni, the breed the USC family message within their ranks. Living here in LA the USC culture is unreal I would be happy nay ecstatic if CU go to 50% of the following SC has, its like the Donkey's junior with the trojans right now.

sure does help when you lay a tarp over 8000 seats (colesium seats over 100K)

why don't they pull the tarps and sell all of the seats?

Well, I'll go out on a limb and say that USC's recent, ummmm, success in college football over the past 5 (?) years has just a little bit to do with those 91k sellouts :lol:

Not to take anything away, but SC selling out and having those attendance numbers is new in the last 3 years or so. They've also "closed off" a bunch of obstructed view seats to decrease the total capacity. That said, having crowds in the 90,000 for the last few seasons goes to show you that fans like winners, especially fans in Lala land.

Back