What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

XJ Suspended vs UW

You know him?

I know enough about this stuff going on last year, and apparently still this year, that I can draw that conclusion. His game on the court being "me first" is strictly my opinion, from watching him at CU from day one....my take on him being "me first" off the court is fact.

I was just curious, I didn't mean to make it sound like you don't know. Seems pretty evident, that sucks, nothing wrong with rattling his chains a bit. We'll see how he handles it.

I was just curious, I didn't mean to make it sound like you don't know. Seems pretty evident, that sucks, nothing wrong with rattling his chains a bit. We'll see how he handles it.

No worries. Didn't mean to make it sound like we are buddies. Here's my take:

He's the guy on the court that is too busy banging on his chest after a dunk, and his man beats him up the floor and gets a lay up or a foul......or he's busy being the black hole on the offensive side, and mostly standing on the perimeter jacking, when he's got the skills and body to go underneath and dominate. His game reminds me of a poor man's Melo, likes to hang on the perimeter when he should be underneath, and doesn't really like to do the small things. It's no secret that there has been frustration with his game over the last few years from the staff. Just my opinion that the team looks like more of a "team" since he's been out. I thought the ASU game was one of the better games they've played (crazy I know).

No worries. Didn't mean to make it sound like we are buddies. Here's my take:

He's the guy on the court that is too busy banging on his chest after a dunk, and his man beats him up the floor and gets a lay up or a foul......or he's busy being the black hole on the offensive side, and mostly standing on the perimeter jacking, when he's got the skills and body to go underneath and dominate. His game reminds me of a poor man's Melo, likes to hang on the perimeter when he should be underneath, and doesn't really like to do the small things. It's no secret that there has been frustration with his game over the last few years from the staff. Just my opinion that the team looks like more of a "team" since he's been out. I thought the ASU game was one of the better games they've played (crazy I know).
I've got you, thanks for the insight. I hate how he hangs on the perimeter, it's frustrated me a few years. He's what, 6'7"? He can play bigger than that with his arm length and body. Well, we'll see if this did anything to send him a message.

I've got you, thanks for the insight. I hate how he hangs on the perimeter, it's frustrated me a few years. He's what, 6'7"? He can play bigger than that with his arm length and body. Well, we'll see if this did anything to send him a message.

It is why Tad has said many times that even though XJ may not want to hear it, his spot is the 4. He is a match up nightmare at the 4, sounds like he doesn't want to play it though.

I'm curious to see how this works going forward....this year is obviously already lost, but with Josh Fortune most likely stepping in next year, and Josh Scott needing to be a focal point....I don't know how this is going to work next year. I think that Wes is also deserving of some touches down low as well. I don't know if it's gonna be ideal, unless Tad can get a grip on this situation now. XJ is super talented, and should be taking a step forward with his game, he's gotta fit in better with the guys around him on the court. His off the court issues are simple, either knock it off now, or go to Europe after next season and regret not taking advantage of the chance in front of him.

I'm curious to see how this works going forward....this year is obviously already lost, but with Josh Fortune most likely stepping in next year, and Josh Scott needing to be a focal point....I don't know how this is going to work next year. I think that Wes is also deserving of some touches down low as well. I don't know if it's gonna be ideal, unless Tad can get a grip on this situation now. XJ is super talented, and should be taking a step forward with his game, he's gotta fit in better with the guys around him on the court. His off the court issues are simple, either knock it off now, or go to Europe after next season and regret not taking advantage of the chance in front of him.

LOL

He is a 40% 3pt shooter. I have a hard time critiquing his actual play on the court.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He is a 40% 3pt shooter. I have a hard time critiquing his actual play on the court.

I'm with you there. At time, Tad has to challenge him but XJ responds to it. What he is... is better than fine. He just can't be the #1 guy.

I'm with you there. At time, Tad has to challenge him but XJ responds to it. What he is... is better than fine. He just can't be the #1 guy.

That's the problem, I think he has the talent and ability to be the #1 guy, which is the most frustrating. He's a match-up nightmare, he "should" be able to take bigger guys off the dribble or knock down that 3 over them if they lay off. Smaller guy - take them down in the post. So so so much potential.

All I'm saying is I'd like him to play inside out. No he can't be the #1 guy but he's versatile enough to get easy baskets too.

I don't debate that he can knock down a 3, I think he's more effective from a team standpoint by playing inside when he's got smaller forwards on him. My biggest critique of his game is his assist total on the year (9), and his defense. I don't fault him for shooting on a team that appears afraid to shoot at times (outside of Ski), but I just would like to see more attempts going to the hoop.

I don't debate that he can knock down a 3, I think he's more effective from a team standpoint by playing inside when he's got smaller forwards on him. My biggest critique of his game is his assist total on the year (9), and his defense. I don't fault him for shooting on a team that appears afraid to shoot at times (outside of Ski), but I just would like to see more attempts going to the hoop.
Over a 1/3rd of his shots come at the rim, what should that percentage be? Looking at his shot distribution, he either shoots a trey or takes it to the rim over 2/3rds of the time.

Hmm I'd say 60 40, it gets guys in a rhythm sometimes. LeBron is an example, no I'm not comparing them but he plays his best when he's aggressive to the basket. There are plenty of others that do as well.

60% of his shots at the rim? That's 6.1% more than Scott, no way is that realistic nor do I think that is helpful to the team overall. He's a 40% shooter from deep this year, you don't want to eliminate that by reducing his 3point shots taken with that ratio.

Over a 1/3rd of his shots come at the rim, what should that percentage be? Looking at his shot distribution, he either shoots a trey or takes it to the rim over 2/3rds of the time.

I would like my 6'7, 6'8 forward who starts at the 3 to make a living inside with what's most likely a smaller player guarding him most of the time. I don't think 50% of his shots coming by the hoop/paint is out of the question. What site are you using that maps his shot attempts?

Hmm I'd say 60 40, it gets guys in a rhythm sometimes. LeBron is an example, no I'm not comparing them but he plays his best when he's aggressive to the basket. There are plenty of others that do as well.

Creates a matchup problem if he's effective doing it....then he gets a bigger player put on him that he can take to the perimeter.
XJ will NEVER take as many shots at the rim as Scott does over the course of the season. It's not going to happen and it doesn't need to happen. He's at 36.6%, that's just fine.

XJ will NEVER take as many shots at the rim as Scott does over the course of the season. It's not going to happen and it doesn't need to happen. He's at 36.6%, that's just fine.

I agree with the agree to disagree theory posted above....personally, I'd like to see Josh face up and be more of a threat from 12-15 feet shooting an occasional jumper, and XJ take more shots at the rim. When your best athlete is on the perimeter, I don't know who that benefits. If everything was working fine as is, then I doubt CU would be 9-8. Granted, there are a whole lot of other issues outside of the mentioned players such as a point guard and coaching philosophies, and whatever your view as the teams main problem.

I'd base it on what spot he's playing, so to me, the numbers would be different. We got him at the 3, yeah he'll probably be more perimeter. He plays the 4, it opens up a lot. Face up his guy or backs down a smaller guy. I just don't want guys standing around, there is a reason for the record. My main thing is use what he is, mix it up.

You know who else is shooting close to 40% from deep, yet are taking 50% off their shots at the rim?

Jhop and Thomas

Talking about what he should be doing on the court seems a bit silly right now. He needs to get back on the court first.

I'd like the Louisville style for us, I know broken record lol. We have athletes, I think you are better utilizing them being just that. Get as many easy points as possible. Push it when it's there, back it out if not and start running your O. Good point NW.

Back