What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

You Can't Win at Altitude - DEBUTS TOMORROW NIGHT

Agreed. They need megaphone or something because if they were yelling, I couldn't hear them.

^^This^^

Our supercheerleader dude would be a good call for this. (Or the blond in the dance squad who lines up on the far left.)

Also, I think "you will lose at altitude" is easier to say/understand and has a better ring to it. But if it's done, it's done. This is gonna be great.

It'd help if the ****ing drummers would stop jacking around during the chant too. The people around me kept asking "What are the students yelling?" and "what do those signs say?" but the drummer wouldn't stop messing around.

Keep it up, it WILL work.

I like the "You will lose at altitude" better too, but glad to hear that no matter what the incarnation, the new chant definitely seems to be off to a good start - I only wish I was there to help bring it along some more...

'You will lose at altitude' is much better - it rhymes and is easier to say/understand phonetically. I mean you have to work to pronouce the 'T' at the end of can'T. And in chant-form, people will think we're saying 'You can win at altitude'

Change it?

Biggest things that need to happen are the following:

1. We need to get the band directly involved, we can't compete with them, they're too loud. ideally, they should lead the chant... them yelling "You", the students responding back with "You"... then the band with "You Can't"... followed by the students, etc... the band is organized and excellent at starting up chants and they're very loud, if they can lead, the students will figure it out and follow along.

2. It needs to happen RIGHT before the tip when the stadium is fairly quiet... it'll also quiet down if the chants are in unison and loud enough, once people start to get it... it will build.

3. The students just need to learn the rhythm and when to jump...we need to insert some people into certain sections so people can follow their lead. It'll get going, have faith, impossible to get this correct the first time around.

1. We need to get the band directly involved, we can't compete with them, they're too loud. ideally, they should lead the chant... them yelling "You", the students responding back with "You"... then the band with "You Can't"... followed by the students, etc... the band is organized and excellent at starting up chants and they're very loud, if they can lead, the students will figure it out and follow along.

2. It needs to happen RIGHT before the tip when the stadium is fairly quiet... it'll also quiet down if the chants are in unison and loud enough, once people start to get it... it will build.

3. The students just need to learn the rhythm and when to jump...we need to insert some people into certain sections so people can follow their lead. It'll get going, have faith, impossible to get this correct the first time around.

Personally I think it would work better if everybody was dead quiet (Maybe get the people in the front to go "SHHHHHH" until it quiets down) and then just have 1 guy lead it.

Agreed. There is no way this was going to work on the first try. It will probably not work next time either. Keep it up, though.... It'll be good once it gets going.

Saw a lot of angry looks when they tried to start it in the second half. They need to understand, we are under orders from athletics/marketing to play and what we have to play before the halves. In order to get this to work though you are right, you will have to find a way to get us involved/not playing. We tried to point out what you guys were doing to the director but he has a job to do. The first time before tip off actually was impressive for a first run. It fell apart at the end because they didnt quite get the rhythm, but I like what I heard.

The problem along with no one hearing it... no one know the tunes that its supposed to go in!

Do I understand correctly that this is the same rhythm as "I Believe"?

I'm on board with the "You will lose at altitude" also. That sounds purely badass.

Thanks, TZISKIN. Hope to catch some games next season.

The meter to altitude is difficult for a chant. Also, your sign holding leaders up front need to get in some practice of when to hold up their signs.

That was a major, major fail at the OSU game. Who trys to start a chant when the 50 person band 10 feet away is playing a song? How did these kids get into college? I've been told many times on here that i'm not wise, but hypothetically if I was wise I might try coordinating this with the band and PA system and would try to get info about the chant into the email thats sent out to all students before games.

That was a major, major fail at the OSU game. Who trys to start a chant when the 50 person band 10 feet away is playing a song? How did these kids get into college? I've been told many times on here that i'm not wise, but hypothetically if I was wise I might try coordinating this with the band and PA system and would try to get info about the chant into the email thats sent out to all students before games.

Those reasons for the fail have been acknowledged. Thanks for being a **** about it.

:lol: it didnt take you long to get into the red did it...

90+

That is how big our band is. One of the largest/loudest/proudest basketball pep bands in the nation.

they had been coordinating with the band... it was a trial run

Correct. Before the 2nd half started, that was not discussed with us or marketing, they just tried it on their own. We are specifically told by marketing when we have to play something. We would love to participate in the cheer and we want to start a new tradition and work with the students however, we are there not only to watch basketball. We have a job to do as well

The chant didn't go well tonight either. I do want to say that the student section is AMAZING!!! I have to give it to the WHOLE crowd tonight. While the student section is the heart, the rest of the crowd is doing a great job of getting loud when it counts. I am really proud of all the fans going to these games!!!

Back to the chant. I love the words but it just doesn't seem to quite flow like "I believe". Something more like "Altitude, it sucks for you" flows a little better but I know the words might not be the best. Maybe do the chant like this. AL...ALTI....ALTITUDE...Al-titude, it sucks for you! Al-titude it sucks for you!

I don't know why we just don't do the "I believe" chant. I know we want to be original but you have to admit "I believe" is an amazing chant. It's simple but powerful. It flows. It's positive.

Who ever is coordinating this though, don't give up! Good chants are AWESOME! What ever you decide, keep trying and hopefully it will catch on.

Sounds to me like the "can't" is still not coming thru and sounds more like "can" which we certainly do NOT want to be telling the opponent. Maybe a switch to what has already been suggested "You will lose at altitude"

Sounds to me like the "can't" is still not coming thru and sounds more like "can" which we certainly do NOT want to be telling the opponent. Maybe a switch to what has already been suggested "You will lose at altitude"
C'mon ... it's not like the other team is really paying attention to the words, or is going to gain some sort of encouragement from our student section. The whole point is to get a coordinated thing going that looks and sounds great. It could be any random set of words that fit into the rhythm.

In all honesty, the students know what is being said, our team knows what is being said, their team knows what is being said, and the announcers know what is being said. The only people that dont know are the visiting teams fans and they probably dont give a **** anyway.

I've watched the student section go from merely clapping their hands to the fight song in the David Harrison years, to this awesome group of kids who are making basketball games even more fun to go to. These past two years have been awesome but I think it can get better. I think there need to be that next step in student leadership that makes the student section truly unified and terrifying to opponents.

The biggest thing is unity. The cheer doesn't matter. Getting everyone to do it at the same time is the important thing.

1: Midnight Basketball Rally- When practice opens up for basketball for the first time in the Fall, there is a "midnight" rally to kickoff the basketball season. This would be a good time to gather the students before the season starts, outside a game environment and practice chants, cheers and stratagies for the up coming year. There can be a big difference in 20 students doing a cheer ad getting it to catch on and 200. Another Quick fix option is to go over the cheers pre-game with the students who do show up 45 mins before tip off. They care enough to show up early so get them on the same page.

2: A Leader: If you watch SDSU do their I believe chant there is one guy, facing the students, leading it. I love the cheerleaders involvement but when signs and many people are involved it's easy to screw up. One person needs to yell the cheer while the cheerleaders hold the words up so everyone learns them. After a few games, the signs won't be necessary, which is the point I think the student section is almost at. Also give the man a megaphone.

3: GO BUFFS: The event center has done the GO BUFFS call and response cheer enough times to understand what is going on. If the student section ever yelled out GO I'm 99% sure the stadium would respond with BUFFS. So let's do it when one of those second to last time outs is called and the band just playing whatever to fill those 30 seconds.

4: The Mighty Arrow- Opponent free throws during the beginning of the season started off pretty coordinated with the students waving their arms to throw off opponent free throws but have become muddled as of late. My solution is some on with a large arrow shaped sign that indicates whether the students should start left and go right, or vice versa. It can be pointed down to indicate the students should pound the seats then jump. It can be pointed up to have everyone just wave frantically.

This is my two cents. We are quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with in the PAC-12 and this would put us at the top.

I think it would really **** with a free-throw shooters head if the whole crowd behind the basket swayed back and forth as it they were on a rocking boat. try that during Beirut/beer pong and itll totally **** with your opponent

Back