1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'10 TNFR G Sabatino Chen (Committed to Colorado - PWO)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Buffnik, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG]
    Monarch H.S. (Louisville, CO) / University of Denver (Denver, CO)

Ht: 6-foot-3
    Wt: 178 lbs

Rivals rating: not rated
    Scout rating: not in database
    ESPN rating: 50 rating; #174 SG

Reported Offers: Denver (signed), Northern Colorado, American, Dartmouth, Harvard

2. Buffnik

Chen was born in Boulder, but ended up going to high school in Louisville. 2nd team All-State in Colorado as a senior for Monarch, leading his team to the 2nd round of the state playoffs while averaging 20 ppg. As a junior, Chen had been honorable mention 5A All-State while leading the state in assists with 8 apg.

Recruited heavily by Tad Boyle at Northern Colorado, Chen ultimately chose DU.

In 2008-09 as a freshman at DU, Chen played in all 31 games. He led the team in rebounding 3 times, assists twice, and steals 5 times. Shot 43.5% from the field and averaged 2.2 ppg.

In 2009-10 as a sophomore, Chen played in 29 games. Averaged 80% from the charity stripe, 56.9% from the field, and 33.3% from 3=point range, and averaged 2.7 ppg. He was also a Sun Belt honor student.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18600&ATCLID=1523416

3. Buffnik

Chen is considered a well-rounded player who can jump through the gym, has a pure shot, and is an unselfish passer. He brings excellent rebounding for a guard.

He is practicing with the Buffs now during the informal summer games at the gym. Chen will transfer to CU as a walk on and will sit out the 2010-11 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He will have an opportunity to earn a scholarship down the road.

Welcome to the Buffs, Sabatino! And welcome home!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

:gobuffs:

4. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

ill be glad to take him

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Saw him a couple of times on televised games. Good all around player. He's not going to be a star at this level but when I saw hime playing I thought he would be a really good role player for a school like CU. He can do some things on offense, nice shot, good ball handler, decent passer, keeps the ball moving. Also is the kind of player who can really bother people on the defensive end, willing to leave a lot of sweat and some skin out there to help his team.

This is another really positive addition, I'm liking Tad Boyle as our coach more all the time.

SpacemanSpiff likes this.
  6. Buffnik

Rivals article update (much more in full article):

Chen is not sure yet if he will be joining the Buffaloes' program as a walk on or as a scholarshiped athlete. He will redshirt next season and then have two years of eligibility remaining.

"I am definitely an energy player, that is what I will add to their program," Chen said. "I can play at a fast tempo and I am a good defender. While I am redshirting, I am going to be focused on getting a little stronger and improving my three-point shooting."

Article also mentioned that Boyle likes playing man-to-man defense. That, by itself, will improve the team's toughness while putting guys in better rebounding position.

7. simba

simba New Member

U guys know your players.... been following alot of these boulder county preps for awhile.... not sure if you guys know that chen as a freshman, led the DU in offensive rebounds, both a good indicator of his skills, and DU's lack of an interior anything.... also not sure if you guys caught the seattle game on FSN, DU was down by 16 w/ like 10-12 minutes left and Chen went on a major roll w/ like 10 pts, handful of rebounds, steal, block and the game winning assist to Andrew Hooper for a 3 pointer w/ a second left(that made ESPN's top 10 plays of the day)! The DU players totally broke from the princeton offense to win that one....there's no catching up if your down by double digits if you stick to the princeton offense!
    I think you're right, he will bring alot at the guard position, especially defense and rebounding which is really needed. Either as a role player or more, he's definitely an asset, even sitting out a year, chen and the transfer from utah will give the practice squad a level of competion sorely needed to get the team ready for the season....GO BUFFS!!!

buff4bcs1985 likes this.
  8. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

welcome to the site :thumbsup:

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Haven't heard anything about Sabatino lately but looking forward to seeing him on the floor as a Buff.

Has always been the kind of player who is willing to take on whatever roll the team needs him to do to win. I think he may be a little overmatched athletically at this level but his hustle and court sense could make him a contributor in limited playing time. He plays the kind of defense that irritates guys and throws them off their game.

10. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

And while I'm bumping things.... pre-glorious hair Chen. Woah...

11. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

No kidding, if you look close you can see his biceps have their own bicep.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Rep to this Nostradamus!