1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 wins?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DustyRhodes, Dec 16, 2008.

1. DustyRhodes

DustyRhodes Active Member

did Hawk really say something about CU getting 10 wins next year?

confirmation anyone?

link?

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I would suggest looking for a whole 30 seconds at least before posting a thread :smile2:

3. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

4. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

It sounded like a prediction to me.

5. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter which; he's set the bar at ten wins, which frankly is a reasonable albeit ambitious goal. The only real longshot next year is the Texas game. The WVU, OSU, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska games will be very tough but winnable. The ISU, A&M, KSU, CSU, Wyoming, and Miami games should be wins.

There is no reason, barring another injury massacre, why Hawk shouldn't set the standard for his fourth season at CU to be competing for the conference title.

6. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

A poster on Rivals who was at the banquet said he didn't predict it, but said it was the goal for next season.

I'm always leary with B.G. Brooks as he can do a good job of taking things out of context. If Hawk had predicted it the Camera would have had something on it as well.

7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

OK, that was just my impression from reading the article. But I could see where it could have been put out of context in the article. And yea, I also found it odd that this wasn't in the Camera.

8. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Hawkins doesn't have much to lose with making those kinds of comments.

I think he needs to have a good year next year or he's going to get sh!tcanned.

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Define "good".

I don't think he need to have a particularly good year to keep his job. His contract was just extended. Another 5-7 year would have the natives very restless, but he wouldn't get fired.

10. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Good = winning record + bowl game.

Anything less than that and I think he probably gets fired.

His buyout after next season is only $500k.

11. sackman

Let's hope we don't have to find out. I personally think that anything between 5 & 7 wins will be a disappointment, but won't be grounds for dismissal. Anything less than that, and he's probably gone. My expectations are a minimum of 8 wins. With the schedule setting up the way it does, and the number of players that we have coming back, 8 wins should be a very attainable goal.

12. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

IMO anything les than 7-5 in the regular season is unacceptable. I'd really like to see 8-4 or 9-3, but given the last three years it seems foolish to expect anything more than baby steps.

13. sackman

Again, define "unacceptable". By unacceptable, do you mean that Hawk and the staff should be replaced if they don't win 7 games? I, for one, would be really, really disappointed if we don't win at least 8 games, but I'm not sure firing him would be the appropriate step to take.

14. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. The schedule is about as favorable as can be and if there is ever a time to prove something next year has to be it in my opinion...I'm of the opinon that we would have to take a serious look at another head coach or at a least some new assistents/shakeups if we can't scrap out 8 Regular Season wins next year

15. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Honestly, even if the Buffs go 1-11 next year, CU can't afford to dump DH. The real world answer is that CU has to ride this pony for a while. If we can DH early, getting a quality replacement would be a real challenge. Caoches aren't just lining up to come here because we aren't a factory.

So bottom line is 7 W's or I fall off the DH wagon. That is really all I mean, and I doubt anybody will lose any sleep over my position, just one man's opinion....

16. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Should Hawkins thump UT in Austin, he's good by me at 7-5.

Should CU lose to UT? Then CU will need to recover with solid wins against CSU, NU and on the road in the B12.

A few hard fought performance in Morgantown and at least being competitive against Mizzou would make a nice change.

17. buffwoman526

buffwoman526 Club Member Club Member

I have always been of the opinion that you have to give a coach 4 years barring any ethical/criminal issues of the coach. I am starting to change my mind to 5 years given one of the conversations in the "Is it time to worry about recruiting rankings" thread which pointed out that Hawk did not have much time to work in recruiting his first class.

I am eating my words with discussions about TW at this time last year with DD, but I also see a meltdown of epic proportions similar to UW impossible for the Buffs at this point.

I have high expectations for next year assuming the injury bug does not bite us in the ass again, but I also feel he should get the five years.

JMO

18. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

Without Daniels that shouldn't be a problem. What Oklahoma was to him, he was to us.

I just confused myself with that sentence.

19. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

I think that 8-9 wins should be the expectation next year. We have lots of returning talent, albeit young talent. IMO, youth cannot be used for an excuse anymore. Most of the starters will have been in the program 2-3 years, which is enough time to get acclimated to the college game, to college life and the playbook. I sure hope we see positive contributions from players like Givens, Scott, Simas, Major, Hanson, Miller, Tuioti-Mariner, Katoa (eligibility barring), Deehan etc... If all of those players play at or above expectations, then I think 10-11 wins could be the result. If those players are injured or perform much below expectations then it could be another long year.

20. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

I think the schedule sets up for a very good record next year. We catch Mizzou, Kansas, A&M and KnU at home. Combined with CSU, Wyoming at home, Miami OH, and ISU, I see at least 8 wins. We win in Morgantown and at KSU and you get 10. Not impossible. I think our team will be much improved on O and the D will drop off some. Looking at it realistically, Hawk is not off in saying that 10 wins should be the goal.

21. BuffSurveyor

BuffSurveyor Club Member Club Member

10 Wins!..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........We'll see!

I guess that's why they play the game.

22. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

As I have said before many times, 2009 is the year targeted by Hawk to be a breakthrough. His prediction of 10 wins is in line with that thinking. He is rolling the dice, but I would bet on him.

23. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

I don't know why folks are talking about even the remote possibility of 10 wins when both lines are suspect. One due to injury and youth and the other due to talent or lack thereof.

I see either a lot of hurt feelings or a lot of torches and pitchforks this time next year

Seven solid victories and five (even if they only play Texas tough for one half) competitive losses is progress

2010 people.......2010

24. Idot Buff

Call Hawk and tell him, then.

25. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

main reason I see it is scheduling....2010 doesn't have nearly as favorable of a schedule when you have to travel to Cal, MU, OU, KU & kNU...not to mention home games vs. Georgia & TT

26. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

Hawk knows already

But part of his job is keeping a positive spin on things......

I'm not under the same obligations.....

27. Idot Buff

Dude...you are carrying the Buff flag like all of us...you have an obligation!

28. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

In 2010 you'll hopefully have mature horses to play that schedule

2009 you'll see that transition for youngling to adult......but there will be bumps along the way. I think you'll see a suprise victory (OSU, MU, or UNL)......but also a suprise defeat (CSU, ISU, KSU)

29. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

I carry the Buff flag every where I go. Any of my buddies that have experienced my cancellation of Saturday activities to watch the Buffs know the deal

But I've also stopped listening to the positive propaganda ("this is the strongest and fastest group of kids we've had......") and started looking more objectively at my squad. Some things I like.......some things I don't. I like the near future....just not next year near.....

Oh and move Ben Burney to free safety

Idot Buff likes this.