1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'11 AZ OT Tyler Johnstone (Verbal to Oregon)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by zbuff, Mar 9, 2010.

1. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hamilton H.S. (Chandler, AZ)

Ht: 6-foot-6
    Wt: 260 lbs
    40:

Rivals rating: 3*-5.7rr; #16 OT
    Scout rating: 3*; #53 OT
    ESPN rating: 3*-78 grade; #51 OT

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Duke, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, Washington, Washington State, Boise State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, San Diego State, TCU, UNLV, UTEP

SIAP, didn't see him in a search. Evidently a talented kid with a big frame to fill out. Feel free to move this info into a "real" thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4975485

"I am going to look for that football family feel," said Johnstone, who is receiving interest from Oregon, Oregon State, Colorado and Virginia. "You've got to look at the academics. I am going to look at the engineering program because that's what I want to go into."

2. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

3. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Teammates LB Tyler Rutt and OL Christian Westerman also list CU.

4. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Having played my HS football in AZ, I can say for sure that kids who grow up in the desert want to get out often times. Their first choice is often something coastal (get away from the heat) and still be on TV for Mom/Dad. SoCal is only a 5 hour drive.

But some kids despise that whole Californing Dreaming mentality and thus will be more attracted to the Mountains. Snow is a real draw when you grow up without any. Getting these kids here during the months where it's green in Boulder is key. Desert landscaping gets really monotonous and being surrounded by green is an amazing feeling when you don't see it often. Get these kids to a camp here in July and they will come here. Going back home after a week in Boulder would seal the deal.

Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas are fast growing population areas that are becoming more important to recruiters. CU can be a factor there. Especially if we Pac-10ize.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

He's got a good frame and the scouts like his athleticism, but he needs to put on a lot of good weight (50-70 lbs) before he'd be ready to compete at the BCS level. One thing working strongly in his favor is that he was All-Region as a Long Snapper.

And something working strongly in CU's favor is that he made a point of saying in the ESPN article that he's looking for a top engineering program.

Possible greyshirt since he's got a lot of weight to pack on, but definitely should be on CU's radar imo.

Johnstone is teammates with Christian Westerman, one of the top OTs in the West. Colorado has offered Westerman and I'll have a profile up shortly.

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

FYI, we have no shot at Westerman. None.

7. Buffnik

Rivals reports that CU has stepped up with Johnstone's first scholarship offer.

8. Buffnik

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Hamilton is a powerhouse in the Phoenix metro area.

10. Buffnik

Johnstone's recruiting has completely blown up. Just about everyone in the West has offered him now.

11. Buffnik

Good news: Rivals is reporting that we're pretty much a lock to make Johnstone's top 5. Link

"(Offering first) helps out a lot and it shows they were willing to stick their neck out for me," Johnstone said. "I love the coaches there. Boulder is a nice place to live so they're probably going to make my list as well."

:thumbsup:

But we've got to watch out for Oregon and also hope that USC doesn't offer.

Another interesting bit about Johnstone is that he was an All-Region Long Snapper in 2009. He could help us there, too. Here's a highlight tape of him (he moves really well):

[video=youtube;ArSTS4nJey4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSTS4nJey4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSTS4nJey4&feature=related[/video]

12. Buffnik

Damn Duck

13. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

**** a duck

14. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

Must have changed his mind. Not only does Oregon not have a "top engineering program," they have none at all. Very strange.