What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CO OT Jake Jones (Signed to Wyoming)

His height just doesn't really scream O line to me but more of a D line guy. He's got the weight for an 18 year old and can definitly bulk up to 300.
He's plenty big for the OL. What exactly do you want? Everyone to be over 6-5? He could bulk up to make a fine interior OL, or even a Tackle. Bahktiari is the same size as Jones and that didn't stop him from playing tackle.

Now if you want to get into the whole "How long are his arms" argument, I can't really tell from his tapes. Maybe the recruiting guru Buffaholic will step in and set us all straight.

Here's Rivals OG rankings for 2011. http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/fo...s/rank-2655;_ylt=AgqYmROKtrO.ZDrxZwpaGt3ArZB4

Here's the OC list for 2011 http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/fo...s/rank-2656;_ylt=AiGbdOG2O2BLBJ8.hQ.JNarArZB4

Last edited:
He's plenty big for the OL. What exactly do you want? Everyone to be over 6-5? He could bulk up to make a fine interior OL, or even a Tackle. Bahktiari is the same size as Jones and that didn't stop him from playing tackle.

Now if you want to get into the whole "How long are his arms" argument, I can't really tell from his tapes. Maybe the recruiting guru Buffaholic will step in and set us all straight.

Here's Rivals OG rankings for 2011. http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/fo...s/rank-2655;_ylt=AgqYmROKtrO.ZDrxZwpaGt3ArZB4

Here's the OC list for 2011 http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/fo...s/rank-2656;_ylt=AiGbdOG2O2BLBJ8.hQ.JNarArZB4
Huh I always thought the O Line was around 6'6" or so. Guess I'm so used to seeing Solder being so big.

Huh I always thought the O Line was around 6'6" or so. Guess I'm so used to seeing Solder being so big.
Keep in mind there is a lot more that goes into scouting these guys than just their Ht, and weight. Maybe Nik or Boulder Buff can be more specific.

Here's something online that basically sums it up.
Size
Ideal size is one of the things that vary from position to position. At the tackle positions, generally you are looking for a guy in the 6-4 to 6-7 range around the 300-to-325 pound mark, preferably with long arms to lock onto defenders. When it comes to guards, you’re looking for basically the same thing, although shorter players with a lower center of gravity and more body mass can be a better fit for the position.

Because of the value of a center who can get to the second level in the NFL, mobility is an important asset, so generally, the elite ones are smaller than their counterparts at guard and tackle. Of course, the ideal size of a lineman can also vary from team to team depending on the type of blocking schemes used. Some teams rely on smaller, quicker players in zone blocking schemes while others prefer bigger linemen in more of a power-blocking game.

Best asset for an OL is long arms. Usually that goes along with height. You're not going to see too many guys recruited to the OL at the CU level of football who are under 6'3".

That and having great agility/feet is what really separates BCS level players. Even on the D3 level, OLs are 300 lbs.

My memory is bad, but didn't Ryan Olsen switch to the DL while he was here in Boulder?
Yeah, I could see Jones making the same switch or switching to guard, I don't think he'd be able to handle speed rushers he's not that athletic. But like Olson has a mean streak.

Going to Wyoming. Thats three in one day for the pokes. Congrats to him and good look with the Laramie winters.

Back