1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'11 CO OT Justin Hansen (Verbal to CSU)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Sexton Hardcastle, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG]
    Longmont HS (Longmont, CO)

Ht: 6-foot-5
    Wt: 265 lbs
    Forty: 5.14 secs

Rivals rating: 3*-5.5rr; unranked OT
    Scout rating: 2*; #135 OT
    ESPN rating: 2*-74 grade; #145 OT

Reported Offers: Colorado State, San Diego State... CU reportedly offered a grayshirt scholarship

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Sexton Hardcastle

Re: '11 CO OT Justin Hansen

Scout has him listed at DE, but I think he ends up on the OL.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

No doubt.

And hopefully he develops this year because he sounds high on CU.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

I thought that was pretty obvious too. :lol:

I wonder why Scout would place him at DE?

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The 2010 instate class was hyped up, but seems to be a pretty average class now. The 2011 class has several legit national-level recruits though IMO. We win some games this year and we could be looking at an elite 2011 class. As Nik says, Hansen seems to like us quite a bit.

6. Sexton Hardcastle

I can't believe how average this class has turned out. Yes, there is some talent in the state. But nowhere near the way they hyped it up last season.

7. Duff Man

Yeah, pretty weird to me as well. I think 2011 may actually be a year that lives up to the hype. I know all three Mullen kids are getting early national attention, and it seems like Hansen/Austin will get looks from lots of schools as well. You're talking potentially 4-5 4* prospects in one year. Who knows about the depth of the class, but that could be a helluva foundation to start the class. Man, we need to win some games this year.:smile:

8. Buffnik

Hansen's liking CU, Nebraska and Notre Dame right now. Long time until NSD, but I like our chances. His Longmont team is having a heck of a season and is still alive in the state playoffs.

(As an aside, I'm kind of surprised that Longmont's QB, Jake Johnson, is still looking for his first offer. Hopefully he walks on at CU. Great athlete.)

In the new Rivals article on Hansen today:

Hansen has been to Boulder to watch the Buffaloes play multiple times this fall.

"It is a nice place," he said of CU. "I really like it there, it is cool. And it is close to home."

KingPants likes this.
  9. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

By reading between the lines it appears that ND and Neb are his top 2

10. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I really wish Colorado kids had an anti-Nebraska policy :sad1:. If they want to go out of state, okay, but go somewhere else!@!@!@!

11. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

what lines are those? he sounds pretty high on CU so far.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

For some reason a lot of Longmont and Loveland area kids are attracted to kNU. I think a part of it is that the HSs in the area have coaches and teachers from there.

The area also has a lot of families living there who have moved from (escaped) Nebraska but maintain an allegiance to the one thing from the state worth remembering.

13. Buffnik

Scout now listing as "OL" not "DE". Got it right, now. :thumbsup:

14. Duff Man

Still waiting for his first offer, but he should get some looks this Spring.

15. Buffnik

I found this new article by Ringo on Scout very interesting: Head-scratcher

Apparently, Hansen's recruiting is being hurt a lot by the offense that Longmont runs. It's a Double Wing that doesn't employ either traditional man or zone blocking scheme. Recruiters are having a difficult time evaluating Hansen.

"Even though I may be doing my job, one of the coaches initially thought I was just being lazy," he said. "It's a bit different for them. They're not used to it and it throws some of the schools off initially.

"It's weird how that works. I figured it wouldn't make a difference, but I was wrong."

Hansen sounds like he's pretty high on CU also. He's open, but I got the impression he would love a CU offer.

16. Buffnik

Rivals has an update on Hansen: http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094852

Worth reading the whole piece. Cliff's Notes are that CU has not offered yet and will meet with Hansen tomorrow (Thursday) to potentially give him an offer. Hansen is planning to camp at Washington and Utah, then make his decision.

17. Buffnik

Hansen attended the CU big man's camp and did not receive an offer from the Buffs. He has therefore pledged to CSU.

18. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Must not have showed very well at the camp. Looks like he sees the CSU offer and jumped all over it. Close to family. Good luck to the kid.

19. Buffnik

That's what I was assuming, and it seems like it would be dead wrong. The Rivals guy for CSU reported that CU and Washington did offer Hansen, but it was a grayshirt opportunity.

I went through this on Rivals, but I'll repeat it here. It really looks like Hansen got caught up in a numbers game with CU. Due to the small senior class, it appears that our 2011 recruiting class will only be around 15 guys. We will graduate 2 OLs and we've already got 2 OLs committed for 2011 scholarships (Simon as a JC transfer and Lewis as a grayshirt from the 2010 class). That means that CU probably doesn't want to take another OL in this class unless he's a true blue chip type guy (like Austin, Hegarty, etc.).

However, our junior class is around 25 guys with 8 of them being OLs. We'll take a full class in 2012. So what has happened here is that the Buffs wanted Hansen, but because of numbers need him to agree to delay his enrollment by a semester. I hope he doesn't take the grayshirt offer as a slight or something, because it's not. Alex Lewis probably has the most pro potential of the OLs recruited for 2010... and he's the one who grayshirted. If we lose Hansen, I understand, but from a bottom line standpoint accepting a grayshirt would not delay his progress or timing to start competing for playing time in the least.

I'm going to hold out a slim bit of hope here and hope he comes around by National Signing Day.

20. Duff Man

He has been moved to the DL at CSU.

Burrito Palazzo likes this.
  21. Buffnik

Wow are they thin on the DL. I wondered whether Hansen was athletic enough for the OL.

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I know you didn't mean it this way but thin is the word. They have two DL on their roster for last year who are over 290 (298, 293) and the rest are under 270. The 298 graduated. He is the 293 so they have virtually no size inside. It looks like they will be starting two DEs who are under 250. Their LBs are very small as well.

They are going to have a hard time not getting run over by normal sized offenses this year and if one of their big inside guys goes down they are in deep ####.

Hansen looks pretty skinny in the recruit photo but they must have put some weight on his quickly.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  23. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

this guy is like every other Colorado kid: he made CSU his safety school