What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CO QB Brock Berglund (Signed to Kansas)

You're kidding right. Our roster is definitively devoid of talent right now. Most of Hawk's highly ranked recruits flamed out.

Flamed out doesn't have anything to do with getting them committed. My point is that Hawk was able to get highly rated hs/transfer players to commit to CU. He beat out folks like ND, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

I thought hawk's staff couldn't recruit?

Kiesau was specifically responsible for:
Kasa
Jefferson
Simmons
Ussery
Hirschman
Celestine
Simas
Smith
Hansen
Mahnke

Looking back Grimes was a decent recruiter as well.

I can think of three national recruits that he landed. One of which grew up miles from campus. Three guys in five years doesn't make him a great recruiter. It means that even blind squirrels find nuts sometimes.

Flamed out doesn't have anything to do with getting them committed. My point is that Hawk was able to get highly rated hs/transfer players to commit to CU. He beat out folks like ND, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

Well, at least we won't play him at KU. So the hauntings will be limited to reading about his Big XII exploits. That's a minor consolation.

Daaah,

CSU pulled in a better class than we did last year after they also went 3-9. That's pretty much all there is to say about recruiting under Hawkins.

Regarding Embo & EB, the last 2 years they were on the CU staff we pulled in top 20 classes. EB was then Recruiting Coordinator at UCLA. Tui is recognized as one of the top 3 Poly/Samoan recruiters in the nation. If Kennedy joins, as expected, we'll be adding a UT Recruiting Coordinator.

You're very wrong on this. Just wait and see.

I can think of three national recruits that he landed. One of which grew up miles from campus. Three guys in five years doesn't make him a great recruiter. It means that even blind squirrels find nuts sometimes.

You're kidding right? You can think of only 3 national recruits that Hawk landed? By national are you saying kids from out of state or kids recruited from around the nation? Both definitions would be wrong, as he Hawk landed many national recruits:

DScott, Kasa, MTM, Major, Miller, Rippy, Webb, Obi, Polk, Givens, Katoa, Rippy, and Simas come to mind. I consider all of these national recruits - they received multiple scholly offers from outside the Rocky Mountain region. They might not all have been 4-5 star, but they were recruited nationally. I would also consider Cunningham and Moehler big recruits.

Hate Hawk all you want, that's fine by me. However, he did not leave CU with a bare cupboard. I have constantly said that we have talent on this squad - it's just managed and coached wrong. Hawk got some decent players, just not enough of them or at some certain positions. His coaching was what really got his team in trouble, not the players' abilities. I'm not saying we have enough talent to win the conference, but we do have enough to be respectable.

Daaah,

CSU pulled in a better class than we did last year after they also went 3-9. That's pretty much all there is to say about recruiting under Hawkins.

Regarding Embo & EB, the last 2 years they were on the CU staff we pulled in top 20 classes. EB was then Recruiting Coordinator at UCLA. Tui is recognized as one of the top 3 Poly/Samoan recruiters in the nation. If Kennedy joins, as expected, we'll be adding a UT Recruiting Coordinator.

Hawk's recruiting was horrible last year because he was fired but somehow resurrected himself from the dead. Of course you aren't going to be able to recruit if you are fired.

And I'm all for waiting and seeing. That's what I'm saying. That was what the sold a bridge comment was about above. I'm really tired of predictions and expectations. I want to see some results.

Daaah,

but come one - CSU was coming off a bad season with a coach that has only been there a year. CSU still could tell recruits that they are on the way up - CU couldn't. When you have four bad seasons in a row, and your coach is on the hot seat after leading his program to a decline, what can you sell a recruit? PT only goes so far, and CU's legacy is really 2nd tier nationally, if that.

Yes, Hawk's last recruiting effort struggled, and even his second to last one wasn't that great. That shouldn't detract from his recruiting abilities though. Hawk was a decent recruiter - not the best, but yes, he was still good. He is not EB in terms of recruiting, but who is? I think recruiting will go up under the new regime, but that shouldn't mean fans should criticize Hawk's recruiting. He was decent at it...now his coaching and management...a different story.

Santa said he'd bring me a good incoming class this year. I believe him. I have been nice this year.

I meant 5-stars. We landed Scott, Katoa and Kasa.

You are wrong. The cupboard is bare. Among our skill players, Richardson (and Clemons, but he transferred in) was the only highly regarded recruit. Our backfield is especially woeful. We relied on the uber-development of an undersized 2-star recruit (Speedy) and a converted WR (Jefferson). That's embarassing for a school known for its RB's. Our QB position is also one of the worst among AQ schools. Our O-line has talent, but thats about it. It is no surprise that we've won 8 games the past two years. Thanks Hawk.

You're kidding right? You can think of only 3 national recruits that Hawk landed? By national are you saying kids from out of state or kids recruited from around the nation? Both definitions would be wrong, as he Hawk landed many national recruits.

You are wrong. The cupboard is bare. Among our skill players, Richardson (and Clemons, but he transferred in) was the only highly regarded recruit. Our backfield is especially woeful. We relied on the uber-development of an undersized 2-star recruit (Speedy) and a converted WR (Jefferson). That's embarassing for a school known for its RB's. Our QB position is also one of the worst among AQ schools. Our O-line has talent, but thats about it. It is no surprise that we've won 8 games the past two years. Thanks Hawk.

Hawk brought in Clemons and Richardson as WRs. He also brought in Polk and DScott.

Hawk brought in Clemons and Richardson as WRs. He also brought in Polk and DScott.

I am with you hawk and co seemed to be able to recruit when they tried, I don't think they could coach or develop talent worth a damn, and they seemed to miss major character red-flags...but recruit they could.

Yes, we have some holes - RB depth and QB to name the obvious. The cupboard is NOT bare though, and to say this is just as moronic as Hawk saying that the place was burned to the ground. We have some talented kids in the program - just not a whole lot of depth. Some of the kids need some coaching as well.

Additionally, it's not like GB was bringing in lots of 5 stars as well. I think that Hawk is actually a better recruiter than GB...just a lot worse of a coach. Also, don't get too caught up in 5 stars either.

I am with you hawk and co seemed to be able to recruit when they tried, I don't think they could coach or develop talent worth a damn, and they seemed to miss major character red-flags...but recruit they could.

That's all I'm saying. Lots of the talent he recruited left or didn't develop or whatever else. But he was able to get people here despite the flaming piss pot that CU was after the scandal.

Agreed. Recruiting is not Hawk's problem. Coaching is his problem. And more specifically, coaching on the road.

That's all I'm saying. Lots of the talent he recruited left or didn't develop or whatever else. But he was able to get people here despite the flaming piss pot that CU was after the scandal.

I agree, up until the point he was fired/unfired he got folks in the door very well, hell he even had talent (PT gates) that he couldn't even get in the door.

Huh? Those guys came from other schools that had out-recruited us because the cupboard was bare.

You should take a deep breath and let it go - Hawkins brought in 50-something rated classes on average. If you think that's great, you envision a very different CU football program than I do.

Huh? Those guys came from other schools that had out-recruited us because the cupboard was bare.

You should take a deep breath and let it go - Hawkins brought in 50-something rated classes on average. If you think that's great, you envision a very different CU football program than I do.

Sigh. Transfers don't just magically appear out of nowhere like in EAs NCAA 10.

so, can anyone say what BB did a year ago that turned EB off?

I don't think it was one thing. And it wasn't one sided. It was mutual. We didn't pull his offer, but we sure didn't fight for him when KU came calling.

I don't think it was one thing. And it wasn't one sided. It was mutual. We didn't pull his offer, but we sure didn't fight for him when KU came calling.

OK, that's fair. But what was the "incident" that everyone is talking about that occurred during his junior year?

OK, that's fair. But what was the "incident" that everyone is talking about that occurred during his junior year?

I think Junc has a link around here that lists some of his alleged incidents. One of them, frankly, is effing awesome :lol:

Kansas officially signs its new quarterback

By David Ubben

Only a few weeks ago, quarterback Brock Berglund was committed to in-state school Colorado.

Now, he's Kansas' third early signee ready to enroll this semester.

"He has proven that he is a winner," Jayhawks coach Turner Gill said in a release. "He not only has great football skills, but he possesses great vision and tremendous leadership abilities."

Berglund won a pair of 4A state titles at Colorado, and was previously the Buffaloes' highest-rated recruit. The mobile 6-foot-4 passer is the nation's No. 13 dual-threat quarterback, and a big move for Kansas, which struggled at quarterback for most of 2010.

Running back Darrian Miller and offensive lineman Dylan Admire, both Kansas City-area natives, signed with Kansas early last month and will also be available for spring practice.

Berglund will have to beat out Jordan Webb and Quinn Mecham to earn playing time, but for a quarterback, the extra 6-7 months he'll be on campus compared to the rest of the fall-arriving freshman could prove valuable.

Originally posted by ESPN.com - Big 12 Blog
Click here to view the article.

Back