1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'11 NJ SG Kelvin Amayo (Verbal to Towson)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Buffnik, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG]
    Nia Prep HS (Newark, NJ)

AAU: Team Jersey Elite / NJ Shoreshots

Ht: 6-foot-5
    Wt: 205 lbs

Rivals rating: 3* PG
    Scout rating: 3*; NR SF
    ESPN rating: 2*-83 grade; NR SG

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona, Charlotte, Delaware, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's, Charlotte, Delaware, Towson, Western Kentucky

2. Buffnik

http://www.accessathletes.com/blog/blogdisplay.cfm?/Athlete-Chat-Kelvin-Amayo-257

3. Buffnik

[video=youtube;h7vh4SRhhGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vh4SRhhGg[/video]

[video=youtube;z_7NeDd_9Ko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7NeDd_9Ko[/video]

[video=youtube;qSw5ks_yCt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSw5ks_yCt0[/video]

Check out the crossover in the first vid, the dunk at the end of the 2nd, and pretty much everything on the 3rd.

Amayo can play the "1", "2" and "3" in Tad Boyle's system. I'm glad we offered. It looks like he has eliminated a lot of the competing offers and we're going to be fighting it out with Seton Hall and St. John's if we can convince him to leave home for college.

4. Buffnik

Amayo is still uncommitted.

He is now rated a 3* prospect on both Rivals and Scout. He's looking to take his officials after his season is over. CU is still in the mix according to a new article.

Highlights make me think he'd play the the off guard in Boyle's system. Kind of the Cory Higgins spot:

[video=youtube;Nm3jhcu_nHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm3jhcu_nHQ[/video]

If Burks leaves as expected, Amayo is probably a guy we would look at this spring.

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

any word on when this kid is going to make a decision. He would be eligible to play in the fall right? I would love to see him in Black and gold.

6. Buffnik

We only have a scholarship available if Burks goes to the NBA.

If that happens, I believe our wish list starts with the long, long, longshot at DeAndre Daniels. Then #2 is probably LeAntwan Lucket to give us a wing who can help replace all the scoring we're losing. I haven't heard much about Amayo recently.

7. tante

I don't know why but I like Amayo more than Lucket. I think Lucket plays on a team with an amazing PG that drives up his value.

8. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

DeAndre isn't coming here. I know you said long, long, longshot, but I think it's safe to say he's not coming here.

...unless you know something? Is Boyle seriously even trying for him? I would just stop recruiting him and move my energies on other prospects.

9. Buffnik

Until he signs somewhere else, I'd be communicating with Daniels on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything. No one should get his hopes up.

10. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

11. Buffnik

It's my understanding that Sabatino Chen was brought in as a scholarship player. 13 is the correct number for the scholarship limit in MBB (the women get 15).

12. Hoops Fan

Hoops Fan Club Member Club Member

It may be that Chen was given a scholarship to cover tuition for this year, since one was available. This was done in the past for the big kid from the mountains in Colorado (sorry, the name escapes me at the moment) who is now back as a post-grad walk on this semester. I personally don't see Chen as prominent D-1 talent and I would suspect that he would become a walk-on if the team could recruit the right player. I believe that Burks will test the waters by declaring for the NBA, make the rounds and then pulling out, like Higgins did after his sophomore year. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

13. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Sabation Chen had better not be on scholarship. He averaged 2 PPG for f***ing DU. I cant believe that we may have to pass on an athlete like Luckett because of this and that as a team with depth problems we could have signed another player last cycle but instead that spot went to Chen who not only sucks but isint even eligible to play. If this is true Tad Boyle just lost ALOT of good will in my book.

14. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Scholarships are only one year contracts.....they can be used in an entirely different way next year

15. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Committed to Towson (small school in Maryland known for its lax).

I assume that most of those offers listed, including the one from us, were either no longer valid or never existed in the first place.

16. Buffnik

Yeah. I think he was one of our backup plans if we couldn't land Booker.

17. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Was ruled ineligible along with three other players from NIA Prep. The NCAA sees the school as being a "diploma mill."

18. tante

wow very interesting, I really liked this kid.