1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'11 OH FB Trevon Pendleton

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    ScoutingOhio

[​IMG]
    Portsmouth West H.S. (West Portsmouth, OH)

Ht: 5-foot-11
    Wt: 231 lbs
    40: 4.62 secs

Rivals rating: 3*-5.6rr; #2 FB
    Scout rating: 2*; unranked MLB
    ESPN rating: 2*-71 grade; #11 FB

Reported Offers: Air Force, Ball State

2. Buffnik

There's a new Rivals article that says Pendleton is hearing from CU. Here are a couple excerpts:

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1169911

3. Buffnik

Highlights:

[video=youtube;L9j0S3uqzmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9j0S3uqzmA[/video]

4. cutaekwondo

cutaekwondo Member

why does it say in the highlite vid at the beggining that he is 5'7" 163 lbs. RB/LB?

5. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

in the upper right it says 2009

6. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

So you're telling me he grew 4 inches and 70lbs in 1 year?

7. Buffnik

His current size was camp verified.

8. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

thanks for clearing that one nik :lol: and sorry for making you need to :lol:

9. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That kid has some nice feet and good balance. He reads holes well.

But those videos -- it looks like a bunch of middle schoolers playing!

10. cutaekwondo

cutaekwondo Member

yea didn't notice that date there. thanks. Going of his photo I would believe 231.

I agree with his competition out there. Not good at all. Not saying anything against Pendelton but, just sayin.

11. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

no commitment yet by Trevon Pendleton, but noticed that his two offers were from Ball State and Air Force.

Ball State just took a fullback commitment (Horatio Banks) this week. Recruiting can be tough when you gamble.

12. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Very small school and not the best competition down there.

13. buffalofart

buffalofart Member

JE and EB need a stud fullback for their offense like the good old days. I hope they grab one who they think will work for them. An advantage in recruiting is that the spread doesn't use a fullback so there must be a load of Peyton Hillis types out there who want to play.

14. AlferdJasper

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dec. 28th 2010 Rivals Update:
    The injury may have scared away a few teams, but other schools recognize the talent Pendleton has and are still very much involved. Prior to the injury Pendleton had two scholarship offers, Ball State and Air Force and those offers are still there. We asked him what other schools are involved.

"I have been talking with Cincinnati quite often and I also have been in contact with Michigan State, Colorado and Toledo. I have been talking with Coach Salem and Coach Tressel, they like me as a fullback."
    Pendleton's primary issue is that most teams do not use a FB and other teams do not see him as a true running back prospect. Rivals.com obviously sees the value of Pendleton as a fullback prospect and has him ranked the #2 player in the nation at that position.
    Found some end-of-season awards and accomplishments, but no recruiting updates yet.

Despite going out midway in his senior season with a broken leg, Pendleton was still named First Team Southern Ohio Conference. Story

He was also named to the Ohio All-State team for defense.

Another Ohio preps forum included this post:
    Congratulations to Trevon Pendleton on winning Div. 4 Southeast district defensive player of the year and on getting 1st team all-state. I'm glad that the voters recognized his ability even though he only played in 7 games. Great accomplishment for a great player and person.

MVP at the National Underclassman Combine.

[video=youtube;IrZqe0M31s0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZqe0M31s0&feature=related[/video]

15. AlferdJasper

I'm just going to keep posting the good stuff on Trevon I find until he becomes a buff, or gives in to the dark side and commits somewhere else.
    Is it possible that he did not create a senior highlight video for his first 7 games before the injury? I can't seem to find it. Nothing.

Great opening play on this vid. (Named best athlete on the field at this combine.)
    [video=youtube;8-q92A8qaZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-q92A8qaZM&feature=related[/video]

Quite a work ethic.

[video=youtube;0tSSPdcgp1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tSSPdcgp1U&feature=related[/video]

In the gold shorts - I'm taking this as a sign.
    [video=youtube;6slNXwgrAI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6slNXwgrAI8[/video]

16. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

No visits. Means nobody wants him or is not yet cleared by NCAA Clearinghouse. Odd to have an Air Force offer and not be a good student, so maybe just a delay there.

17. Buffnik

I think there's a pretty good chance that CU took an extra guy among all those linebackers and big safeties this cycle with complete intention of moving one of them to fullback.

18. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

19. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

20. AlferdJasper

I found a little more on the injury that may be encouraging coaches to take Pendleton's recruitment slowly.

From the Eastern Ohio Preps Site
    From October 16, 2010:

Later that night, Oct. 16

Oct. 17th:
    Later, new thread, same board:

Dec. 21, 2010
    January 29th, 2011

AJ note
    : could not find anything to confirm a visit anywhere.
    No chatter about a visit on non-premium Cincinnati boards, none that I could find, anyway.

Pendleton's recruitment remains in limbo.

Cincinnati seems very unlikely at this point (unless it's a PWO spot), as the Badgers claim to have filled their class.

February 4, 2011
    Hammon Fills Final Spot for UW

UW's only FB on the roster is a senior in 2011.

No pun intended, but that injury was a tough break for a rising star. I'll be following to see where he lands and how he overcomes this bad bump in the road.

21. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

"His surgery was performed by the top orthopedic surgeon in the Midwest.. He told trevon that his will and determination and persistence will determine If he ever plays football again."

This makes it sound like he'll has a job ahead of him just to get back in pads, let alone back to his former athleticism.

22. Buffnik

I wish him the best, but I'd expect the Buffs to take a pass on him. If we were willing to take these types of risks with injured player, we would have signed Dorian Brown.

23. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

He has a lot going against him. Plays a position that can ofter be filled with a walk-on or a guy who is a tough athlete byt buried in the depth chart at another position. He is also coming of a huge injury with no guarantee that he will ever be able to contribute on the field again. He also missed a big part of his senior season making evaluation difficult.

He may be another guy who gets an invitation to try it as a PWO but I would be surprised if he gets a schollie offer since this team has much bigger needs at some other positions and candidates who have a lot less questions hanging on them.

If Air Force wants him that might be a great match. They don't have the schollie limits that other schools do, don't mind waiting for a kid to develop, and offer a great education. If he decides to go that way he needs to jump on it pretty quick, new cadets start in early June.

If he likes CU and his academics are good enough for the AFA he should be able to get an academic schollie to cover most of his cost and take a shot as a PWO.

24. Buffnik

I don't believe you can be a walk on and receive any financial aid. If you're on the team, I'm pretty sure you have to either be on an athletic scholarship or totally paying your way.

25. MtnBuff

This wouldn't be the case as the Ivy league schools rely on kids under academic schollies and other kids have come in on academic schollies and walked on for sports. I think that the rule is that the academic schollie has to be completely indepenent of athletic considerations and the kid has to meet the requirements for the academic without regard to athletic ability. There also may be a provision that if the kid plays then he has to forfeit the academic but I am not sure of this. I have known kids who have gone to school on academic schollies and participated at a varsity level on non-revenue sports that offer athletic schollies.

A problem with walking on while under academic schollie however is that the varsity sport makes meeting the obligations of keeping the academic very hard. Many scholarship athletes carry a lighter load in the semester in which they put in the most time for their sport (football players in fall semester) while a lot of the schollies require full time enrollment and maintaining grades which is also hard when dedicating significant hours to a sport.

26. Buffnik

Ivy doesn't offer athletic scholarships. That exempts them from the equation. Same way the service academies are in a special category (since everyone is on scholarship).

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this one. This could be so easily abused that I can't imagine the NCAA would allow programs to bring guys in as walk ons, put them on academic or need-based scholarships, add them to the football roster, and then not have them count against the 85 man scholarship limit.

27. MtnBuff

I looked at the NCAA website which makes it clear as mud. They state that athletes in scholarship sports are allowed to recieve other need based financial assistance such as pell grants and academic based aid. They then state that some forms of aid are not acceptable and that the athlete and/or his parents should contact the NCAA or the school. Looks like the typical NCAA deal, you can do it if you jump through the hoops.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=9b2e1b804e0dc6e694f8f41ad6fc8b25

Also some interesting statistics on how few scholarship athletes actually go on to make money as pros. In football it is 1.8%, basketball 1.2%. This combined with their statistic stating that about 2% of high school athletes recieve an athletic scholarship for college means that the odds for a HS kid ending up getting rich from football or basketball are pretty slim.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  28. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

A player on ANY scholarship (need, merit, academic, looks, athletic, whatever) counts against the 85.

29. AlferdJasper

You can't start substituting academic financial aid in order to boost the number of players on a team. There are obvious flaws in that, since every athlete with a good GPA could be persuaded to get an "academic" scholarship and increase the number of subsidized players.

Students who are at school on academic scholarships and choose at some point to play a D1 sport may be asked to GIVE UP the academic financial aid, or an amount to bring them into compliance. Sucks, doesn't it? But at many institutions, there would be a large percentage of student/athletes who could qualify for academic scholarships just to get accepted. (Think Pac12, think Michigan, think Northwestern.) NCAA felt it needed to stop the loophole of bringing in additional athletes under "academic" aid, since it could be so easily abused.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/48534-Stoudt-s-Recruitipedia

Understanding Financial Aid
    http://collegesportseligibility101.ceiathletics.com/Financial_Aid.html

There's another precedent for this: if an athlete in another sport - let's say Track or Basketball - decides to play football, his scholarship is counted against the football team, even if he was originally recruited and signed in another sport. You can't collect scholarships from TWO Division 1 sports, and if you play football, you ALWAYS count against football, so the coach needs to really want your contribution to take you from another sport if you are already on scholarship.

link to source
    note: I don't want to get too far off track in a recruit thread, so if anyone wants to split this one off, no sweat from me. But CU is not going to be able to supplement the football team by using academically gifted kids as walk-ons. (Unless they pay their own way.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011