1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'12 CA PF Skylar Spencer (Signed to San Diego State)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by JRK1212, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247Sports

[​IMG]
    Price HS (Los Angeles, CA)

Ht:6'8
    Wt: 205

Rivals rating: 3*; #34 PF (#126 overall)
    Scout rating: 3*; #30 C
    ESPN rating: 3*-89 grade; #37 PF
    247 rating: 4*-90 rating; unranked PF

Reported offers: Colorado, California, Gonzaga, Marquette, San Diego State, UCLA, UNLV, USC, Washington

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  2. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

HS teamate of Askia Booker.

[video=youtube;mtWbxKDRA2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtWbxKDRA2g[/video]

[video=youtube;hzr2VgVdFmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzr2VgVdFmQ[/video]

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

rivals link broken.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

you can build a really good college program by having 4 or 5 6'7" to 6'9" athletic guys. You put a couple of guys like dre on the floor and you have a good team. Mizzou built a top 25 team with this formula.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Fixed.

There are definitely some good prospects on CU's board for 2012. I remember back in the preseason that Cali High Sports mentioned Skylar as a potential junior of the year for the state this season.

6. Buffnik

Completely agree. And it's not unreasonable to say that it should be 6 or 7 guys that fit that profile. We are talking about players that can play 3 positions for you, whether it's the 2-3-4 or 3-4-5. I like having a couple true centers, a couple true points, and a mix of 3 or 4 shooters/slashers for the wing. After that, I want the rest of the roster to be in the Dre/Relphorde mold (6'6" to 6'9").

7. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

sure. Florida followed this model sort of and won back to back. However...I think it's hard to actually achieve this in recruiting - finding and signing quality players like this. I'm not sure why you want a true center as opposed to just a good four, which is enough in college, depending on your system and the center that you have.

I'd rather just get the best basketball players you can find, and who cares about what mold they are. If you can't find a way to get the best utilize your talent, then go back to HS coaching. Spencer is an outsetanding prospect, the type of player that CU needs to get in order to establish itself on the next level. I was hoping for him and Zena, but with Scott and Gordon coming, I hope we get one of them.

8. Buffnik

I'm a big believer in what a center does for your defense. Having that guy on the back line does so much for your defensive field goal%. Both because of the shots he blocks/alters and because he allows the other guys to play more aggressively knowing they have help if they get beat.

And on offense, it can force double teams when the ball enters the post while also putting a big body on the floor for setting screens. It opens up the floor for everyone else.

I realize that a 4 can do a lot of those things, but it's not the same as having a 5 who can do those things. Big front lines are incredibly difficult to deal with.

9. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

The Flying Illini were a good example.

10. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I did watch a lot of Illini basketball while I was in college over five years ago and I liked their uptempo stuff.

11. Buffnik

Skylar is favoring Gonzaga.

12. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I dont know how much faith in this. Not saying he is going to CU or that he is not really favoring Gonzaga, but so many times I have read that someone was favoring going to a certain school, then when it comes time to sign, some school not even listed signs them. And I am not talking about some guy who gets a North Carolina offer in the last min.

I imagine he took a trip to Gonzaga, said good things, then their fan boards and media went nuts about it, making it look like he really wants to go there.

I put little faith until at least they verbally commit.

edit: I am not faulting you at all for posting this, thanks for all the info you provide

13. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

According to Scout he has "low" interest in CU and his favorites are SDSU and Washington although he hasn't actually cut his list down yet.

14. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

According to TheSlipperStillFits.com (who lifted it from Scout),

15. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Final two are Washington and San Diego State.

16. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Committed to San Diego St.

17. ShockerHoops

ShockerHoops Well-Known Member

He took a visit to SDSU the same day, Cleanthony Early took on there too. He's a target for us, so I think it helps our cause that Spencer signed with SDSU, as they played the same position. Its a nice pick up for SDSU.