What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA RB Davien Payne (Signed to Colorado)

I am going to disagree a little bit that elite speed is not necessary. Big play ability out of the RB position takes a lot of pressure off the rest of the offense. It also helps out red zone efficiency if you are scoring from outside the 20 every so often. Not that every RB we recruit needs to run in the 4.4 range, but it would be nice to have a couple guys that can be a change of pace.

Elite speed is not necessary to produce big plays from the RB position. It can be part of the mix that makes a homerun hitter, but it's not a must-have. Any mix of strong/fast/shifty that will allow a RB to get by a DB in the open field can produce long TD's. I'd rather have someone who's just fast enough not to get caught from behind by linebackers, and powerful enough to straight-up run over the other team's DB's without having to break stride. See Terrell Davis for reference.

There's absolutely no substitute for speed at WR or in the return game, but it's not as big a deal for RB's. JMO, of course.

It's not allyour about speedthe anyway - you have to be smart at the position, too. A perfect example yesterday in the Iowa game. They had a late lead, the ball, and a 3rd and about 2. Their RB ran into and then outside his blockers and was tackled for no gain. Meanwhile, his blockers won their battle - a little patience would have netted a 1st down.

Competely agree Thundering Herd. Being a Bronco/TD fan, if you recalled his first couple years in the NFL people said he didn't have home run speed. Yet he routinely would have 100 yards by half-time. It was the 5 yds, 7, 4, 12, 8, 10, yard variety that grinded clock and created long scoring drives. It wasn't until Td's 3rd/4th seasons when he really blew up and started taking some plays to the house.

Bottom line, you don't need to be a 4.4 guy to be successful. 4.6 is more than quick enough.

Competely agree Thundering Herd. Being a Bronco/TD fan, if you recalled his first couple years in the NFL people said he didn't have home run speed. Yet he routinely would have 100 yards by half-time. It was the 5 yds, 7, 4, 12, 8, 10, yard variety that grinded clock and created long scoring drives. It wasn't until Td's 3rd/4th seasons when he really blew up and started taking some plays to the house.

Bottom line, you don't need to be a 4.4 guy to be successful. 4.6 is more than quick enough.

Jerry Rice would also agree with that statement

There's a lot of guys that have made it without 4.4 speed, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should always try to get by without. I'd venture a guess that this is similar to the star ranking argument. Not every single top player in the NFL was a 5* recruit, just like not every top player ran a 4.4 40, but I'd bet a 4.4 helps your chances of getting there just like being a higher rated recruit does.

My original point was that we have had a lot of 4.6 guys at RB recently and I don't think anyone would argue that any of them have been true big play guys. It'd be great to get a real game breaker sometime soon.

I agree it would be nice to have a gamebreaker, but probably our best back in the last decade was Chris Brown and I highly doubt he was running a 4.4.

Blacken can still get him to run faster. Won't be too woried about 4.6 40 speed with a HS kid at the running back position. What i would care about is good game speed for now, we can get him faster at CU.

Blacken can still get him to run faster. Won't be too woried about 4.6 40 speed with a HS kid at the running back position. What i would care about is good game speed for now, we can get him faster at CU.

I don't buy this at all because it's relative. Every player is going to improve under a D1 strength and conditioning program. It's not like you can bring in guys who aren't as fast and your training makes them just as fast as the players other programs have.

With RBs, speed has a minimal requirement for this level. Payne meets that comfortably. The most important things I want to see in a RB for a pro style system are short area quickness, acceleration, vision, and ability to break arm tackles.

For example, Adrian Peterson would be an excellent NFL running back even if he ran a 4.6 instead of being a burner. His speed takes him to a whole 'nother level, though.

I don't want the speed without the rest, but speed can't be totally discounted. Especially in the college game where the hashes are wider and the screen pass rules are favorable to the offense, so the field is opened up. Teams attack the edges and open space a lot more. Explosive plays win football games. We need guys like Payne to carry the load and wear down a defense. But we also need to complement players like him with guys like BJ Catalon (big loss for us) who can take a screen pass or toss sweep to the house.

@Buffnik, if Blacken can't get the players, then we need another Strenght and conditioning coach. After saying that i am confident Blacken can get him to run faster, sometimes 40 times have alot to do with technique.

Nik's post sums up my feelings pretty well. Speed at RB is not the only thing you should look at, but I do not think it should be totally discounted either.

BigBang, a strength and conditioning coach can only do so much for speed.

@Buffnik, if Blacken can't get the players, then we need another Strenght and conditioning coach. After saying that i am confident Blacken can get him to run faster, sometimes 40 times have alot to do with technique.
@ bigbang2 - do you realize that other teams have S&C coaches?

I don't buy this at all because it's relative. Every player is going to improve under a D1 strength and conditioning program. It's not like you can bring in guys who aren't as fast and your training makes them just as fast as the players other programs have.

With RBs, speed has a minimal requirement for this level. Payne meets that comfortably. The most important things I want to see in a RB for a pro style system are short area quickness, acceleration, vision, and ability to break arm tackles.

For example, Adrian Peterson would be an excellent NFL running back even if he ran a 4.6 instead of being a burner. His speed takes him to a whole 'nother level, though.

I don't want the speed without the rest, but speed can't be totally discounted. Especially in the college game where the hashes are wider and the screen pass rules are favorable to the offense, so the field is opened up. Teams attack the edges and open space a lot more. Explosive plays win football games. We need guys like Payne to carry the load and wear down a defense. But we also need to complement players like him with guys like BJ Catalon (big loss for us) who can take a screen pass or toss sweep to the house.

How do you know so much about everything?

Nik's post sums up my feelings pretty well. Speed at RB is not the only thing you should look at, but I do not think it should be totally discounted either.

BigBang, a strength and conditioning coach can only do so much for speed.

Correct, but he can help shave maybe atleast half a sec of his speed. What i want is good game speed. A power runner that can run 4.55 sec speed in the 40 and that has good game speed is good enough for me.

Correct, but he can help shave maybe atleast half a sec of his speed.

Good Lord. Every post of yours only further points out how ****ing clueless you are about anything football related. You're the anti-Nik.

Correct, but he can help shave maybe atleast half a sec of his speed. What i want is good game speed. A power runner that can run 4.55 sec speed in the 40 and that has good game speed is good enough for me.

At least half a second? Do you realize what you are saying here?

That's like going from running a 4.9 to a 4.4. I'm sure that's possible though.

There is a diffrence between track/straight away speed, and football speed. You have to be fast while shifting weight, finding and getting to holes in the defense, and running with shoulders forward in preperation for contact while wearing pads.

There is a diffrence between track/straight away speed, and football speed. You have to be fast while shifting weight, finding and getting to holes in the defense, and running with shoulders forward in preperation for contact while wearing pads.

I agree with that. Kind of like how being a great power lifter doesn't translate into football strength.

But on a basic level that holds true, fast is fast and strong is strong.

This offense is going to require 3-4 RBs who can each carry the ball 10-15 times per game. It's going to require offensive linemen who can drive block, zone block, and pass block. It's going to require depth along the offensive line. It's going to require playmakers at WR and TE who can keep defenses honest. It's going to require a quarterback who can make accurate passes and sell the play action. It's going to require a lot of things. But make no mistake - if you have all those components, you cannot be stopped.

I remember watching Terrell Davis in his years with the Broncos. He got run down from behind a lot, he also had some long runs but he didn't just outrun everyone in the secondary.

The good news is that everytime he got run down from behind it meant that he had gotten behind the defense and it was just a question of how many yards he was going to get before he was stopped.

I would rather have a slower guy brought down 20 yards downfield than a blazing fast guy stopped at the LOS.

Terrell Davis was one of the best running backs the NFL has ever seen. I don't think using him as a basis for comparison is quite fair. If the Buffs could put together an offense reminiscent of the 1997-1999 Denver Broncos, I'd be giddy. But let's keep in mind the kind of offensive weapons that team had. Elway, Sharpe, Davis, McCaffery, Smith and an O-Line that had guys like Schlereth, Nalen and Zimmerman. They were a machine. We can only pray that we have that kind of offense.

I remember watching Terrell Davis in his years with the Broncos. He got run down from behind a lot, he also had some long runs but he didn't just outrun everyone in the secondary.

The good news is that everytime he got run down from behind it meant that he had gotten behind the defense and it was just a question of how many yards he was going to get before he was stopped.

I would rather have a slower guy brought down 20 yards downfield than a blazing fast guy stopped at the LOS.
I dont remember Terrell getting caught from behind alot, especially in the second super bowl year. I remember that Cowboys game and freaking Deion couldnt catch him.

TD never got caught from behind. He didn't break many long runs his first couple years in the league. His stats were sneaky though, 4 yards, 8 yards, 5 yards, 11 yards, 7 yards, 4 yards, etc. Before you knew it, he was at 100 yards before halftime. The guy had incredible vision, and cutback ability. Not only that, he hardly ever lost yards. He's get stopped at the LOS and fall forward and still get a 3-4 yard gain.

Taking TD out of the equation, Denver had lots of 4.6 speed backs. TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Drougns just to name a few. It wasn't until Shanahan drafted Portis that they had a true HR type back who could take it 80 yards each play.

Payne reminds me a little more of the finesse big backs we've seen from time to time. I don't think he's ultra powerful, but his size allows him to run through some arm tackles and things. Ron Dayne was like that and I would be completely fine with a Ron Dayne type of back.

Back