1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'12 VA PG Jerome Hairston (Verbal to Towson)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Goose, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247Sports

[​IMG]

Liberty Christian Academy (Salem, Virginia)

AAU: East Coast Fusion

Ht: 6-foot-3
    Wt: 180 lbs

Rivals rating: 3*; #23 PG (#121 overall)
    Scout rating: 3*; #19 PG
    ESPN rating: 2*-88 grade; #32 PG
    247 rating: 4*-91 rating; #17 PG (#87 overall)

Reported offers: Colorado, Liberty, Richmond, UNC-Ashville

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Goose

Plan is Coming Together for Jerome Hairston

His cousin is former Wake Forest star and current Toronto Raptor James Johnson. Hairston was born in Wyoming and moved to Virginia to get more exposure.

3. Goose

MaxPreps 2009-2010 Profile:

Some conflicting reports on if he has a Liberty offer or not. I imagine he does, but haven't seen it on one of the "major" sites, so I didn't list it at the top.

4. Goose

ScoutHoops:

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Apparently, we're in really good shape here. I kept hearing about a prospect from Virginia we think we're going to get, but I didn't know who it was.

Thanks, Goose.

... and I found a good article from June 13th that confirms his level of CU interest:

Since winning the Hoop Group Southern Jam Fest, Jerome Hairston and his AAU team, East Coast Fusion has been on the road competing at different tournaments always battling to get to the top.

“We played in Richmond, we did okay as a team but weren’t in good enough shape to pull it out,” said Hairston of their second place finish. “We played at the Bob Gibbon’s where we lost in the quarters.”

On assessing his own game Hairston said he played well in the tournament, at times though winded and having to conserve energy seeing as the team was playing without some of its players, Hairston said he stuck to penetrating to the hole and dishing out because his shots wouldn’t fall.

Overall Hairston has performed well in all the tournaments he has played in during his junior year of high school so much so that the 6’3” guard from Salem, Virginia has caught the eyes of some Division 1 colleges.

UNC-Ashville offered, Providence, Colorado, South Carolina, Clemson and George Mason are all in contact,” said Hairston.

As to which schools are the frontrunners Hairston said, “My favorites are probably Colorado, South Carolina and [UNC]-Ashville. Mainly because of the relationships those coaches have worked to get me.”

Hairston says he’s hoping to choose and sign with a school during the first period of signing this upcoming season. He has visited UNC-Ashville already and will be heading down to Clemson Universities practice facilities to practice with his new high school team, Christ School, an all-boys college preparatory school.

With a big summer ahead of Hairston he says he’s always trying to be in a gym or a park working on his game.

When discussing which part of his game he was trying to work on, Hairston said he’s working a little bit of everything.

“Defense, stamina, I’m always looking to better my handles but lots of stuff without the ball.”
    Hairston and East Coast Fusion will be competing in various tournaments in the month of July including the Hoop Group Jam Fest in West Virginia.

http://www.hoopgroup.com/hoopgroup/...-continues-to-soar-for-east-coast-fusion.php/

6. Goose

Nice. Good to hear that the staff is optimistic on him. We're REALLY loading up on PG's.

7. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

This 2012 class is looking to be pretty EPIC, Nice to see what Tad can do when given the time to recruit. I was impressed with what he found for 2010, really like our recruits for 1011, and now 2012 has some serious talent coming in.

8. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Boyle and his staff are working their ass off recruiting players this year.

9. Buffnik

Abatemarco was an outstanding hire. Not only for what he can do and who he knows, but also because he can impart all that to all the young coaches that Boyle has on staff. This came together about as well as it could for CU.

10. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

That's a lot of PGs...I'm not saying pass on a player like this, but we could use another big and a wing too.

VA is interesting to be recruiting. Tons of talent in the area, but it's sort of out of the way for our recruiting efforts...Abatemarco does have some ties there, but it's been a long time...not complaining, just surprised. Good job to the staff!

11. Goose

12. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I'll check this kid out if I get the chance. Good chance he'll be in the area either playing in a tournament at John Paul Jones Arena or playing at Blue Ridge School, Miller School or St. Anne's-Belfield

13. Goose

Hairston is now a 2*-88 grade prospect on ESPN.

14. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I was curious about this, you hear about guys moving up in the rankings a bunch, so that had to mean that people were moving down, but you just dont hear about those guys much

15. Goose

Hairston's intriguing to me. There's not a whole lot of info or footage out there on him, and some places are sky high on him while others aren't. Hopefully some more info will start to come out from him soon.

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Basketball recruiting baffles me. How can one service have him as a 2*, while two others have him a 4*?

17. Buffnik

It really is all over the place. Frankly, all four that we use ratings from (Rivals, Scout, ESPN, 247sports) prioritize football scouting and their basketball analysis can be spotty. More than stars, I care about comments from their actual scouts from seeing them recently in person.

18. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

yes, but I've always liked Scout for bball recruiting. For elite prospects, check out

http://www.rscihoops.com/

I agree with you - comments and video are very telling, as well as how they do during the summer circuits when playing against other elite competition (summer can also be misleading too due to the style of play). I take the "guru" opinions for a lot - Bob Gibbons, Oetinger, and other definitely know their stuff.

19. CVilleBuff

Have to admit the offer list is a little strange for a 4 star as of right now

20. CVilleBuff

Has an offer from Liberty University (Lynchburg, VA) according to Rivals, ESPN and Liberty's fan site.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  21. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

He's leaving VA. Will be at Christ School in NC next year.

22. CVilleBuff

No fun. I checked the Christ School schedule and they do play Oak Hill in Salem...so there's a chance damnit

23. CVilleBuff

24. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

So does his move to NC mean possible offers from ACC teams?

25. CVilleBuff

VT and UVA are the only ACC schools to show any interest at all thus far. I tend to think VT is his best chance for an ACC offer. UVA is putting together a fantastic 2012 class that lacks a PG as of yet, but I have my doubts

26. Goose

Scout dropped him from a 4* to a 3* in their latest rankings. He also went from the #16 PG to #18.

27. CVilleBuff

4* PG James Robinson from DeMatha surprised yesterday and picked Pitt over UVA. Wouldn't be surprised if UVA started giving Hairston more of a look now

28. YngC

YngC Club Member Club Member

Now #115 on Rivals.

29. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Hoops section at ab is sucking you in eh? :wink2: Glad to see ya poppin in.

30. Goose

I'm starting to get more and more excited about this kid. #88 overall on 247sports. So everyone except for ESPN is pretty high on him.