What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO QB Luke del Rio (Verbal to Alabama - PWO)

I will suggest here that Del Rio Pappy doesn't like Kiffen and vice versa.

I think you are probably correct.

It's been said that Luke went to Bama because he wants to be a coach in the future. Don't think dad considers Kiffen a good person to learn from.

Will be really interesting to see where he goes. Let's hope NOT CSU.
Why would he go to CSU? Sparkles? I would think, as highly rated as he was, he would want to go to a BCS school. I think we can rule out CU, since there seemed to be little interest the first time around.....

I bet bringing in the #4 QB and #1 QB in back to back classes had more to do with it.

In hindsight, not a bad idea for him to have walked-on at Bama and now be labeled as a "Bama QB Transfer" to another school. Someones fanbase will be over joyed to have him on a scholly.

Rumors hes looking at the Beavs... Seems weird with Kline looking to transfer there too

This transfer is now on the front page of ESPN. Going back on what I said before. This worked out great for him.

Rumors hes looking at the Beavs... Seems weird with Kline looking to transfer there too

Much like JDR probably doesn't like Lane Kiffin, I imagine this may have a lot to do with him trusting that Mike Riley is a hell of a coach who knows what he's doing. One more year of Mannion while Luke sits and then he's got 3 more to play if he wins the job in 2015.

Why would he go to CSU? Sparkles? I would think, as highly rated as he was, he would want to go to a BCS school. I think we can rule out CU, since there seemed to be little interest the first time around.....

I doubt he would but CSU is one of 3 offers that he had out of High School.

He was never going to see the field down there. No NC in the future now, so he is gone. notice my earlier post about this kid.

Who is his dad friends with on the Oregon State staff? Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Mike Riley and new OC John Garrett (Jason's brother) are both familiar with JDR from their time in the NFL.

Mike Riley and new OC John Garrett (Jason's brother) are both familiar with JDR from their time in the NFL.

Thanks aik, I knew that he was making his decisions on coaching connections and has a desire to coach in the future. Riley is a good coach to learn from, he has definitely had that team winning above their talent level.

QB Luke Del Rio is eligible immediately at Oregon St (transfer from Alabama). He has 4 years to play with no RS.

Can somebody explain any possible rule that allows this - no sit-out year for a voluntary transfer -, but Josh Ford can't get a sixth year with his history of injuries? Is it because Josh doesn't have a family member with connections or am I just being cynical again?

Can somebody explain any possible rule that allows this - no sit-out year for a voluntary transfer -, but Josh Ford can't get a sixth year with his history of injuries? Is it because Josh doesn't have a family member with connections or am I just being cynical again?

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but he was a walk-on at Alabama.

Probably because he was a walkon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh lost a year of eligibility as a walk-on.

This. And Josh's participation before transferring was less than Del Rio's because he spent a good part of the time injured as well. Luke was healthy and as far as I know a normal participant in practices and team activities the full year.

Love the ​consistency of the NCAA in administering their rules.

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but he was a walk-on at Alabama.

Sorry, makes no difference in NCAA's (posted) rules and bylaws. You enroll somewhere, you lose a year. Period.

well, except for the obvious exception such as this one.

The walk-on QB who played at Texas Tech last year, and transferred to OU this spring was denied immediate eligibility by the NCAA. He did actually play in games at Tech though, so maybe that is the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, there's an exception in the NCAA rules that allow immediate eligibility for a transfer if the following conditions are met:

1. The player was not actively recruited by the team (Alabama did not recruit him)
2. The player was not on scholarship. (Alabama did not have him as a scholarship athlete)
3. The player did not participate (He wasn't even on the three deep at Alabama)

As you can see Josh Ford didn't meet those conditions, nor did the Texas Tech QB.

Reactions: aik
Apparently, there's an exception in the NCAA rules that allow immediate eligibility for a transfer if the following conditions are met:

1. The player was not actively recruited by the team (Alabama did not recruit him)
2. The player was not on scholarship. (Alabama did not have him as a scholarship athlete)
3. The player did not participate (He wasn't even on the three deep at Alabama)

As you can see Josh Ford didn't meet those conditions, nor did the Texas Tech QB.

Interesting. Thanks.

My thing is that I'm frustrated with the NCAA. The rules are often unfair to the student-athletes, so when there is a ruling that is fair (as in Del Rio's case), it looks like special treatment.

One change I would love to see is a new walk-on rule:

Allow walk-ons to be recruited. If offered a scholarship somewhere else, the player can leave without any penalty and can play immediately -- unless the current school matches the scholarship offer. If the current school offered a scholarship, the player would then have the option of staying at his current program under scholarship or transferring with the "one year residency while not playing" standard penalty.

Beyond that, I want to see 4-year scholarships. It's complete bull**** that schools only have to make a 1-year commitment to a player but the player has all sorts of penalties if he decides to change schools after the end of his 1-year scholarship contract is fulfilled. The deck is unfairly stacked. Programs want loyalty from players. Well, just like any other organization, the best (really, only) way to gain loyalty from people is to give loyalty. Make scholarships 4 years and it will be good for everyone.

Interesting. Thanks.

My thing is that I'm frustrated with the NCAA. The rules are often unfair to the student-athletes, so when there is a ruling that is fair (as in Del Rio's case), it looks like special treatment.

One change I would love to see is a new walk-on rule:

Allow walk-ons to be recruited. If offered a scholarship somewhere else, the player can leave without any penalty and can play immediately -- unless the current school matches the scholarship offer. If the current school offered a scholarship, the player would then have the option of staying at his current program under scholarship or transferring with the "one year residency while not playing" standard penalty.

Beyond that, I want to see 4-year scholarships. It's complete bull**** that schools only have to make a 1-year commitment to a player but the player has all sorts of penalties if he decides to change schools after the end of his 1-year scholarship contract is fulfilled. The deck is unfairly stacked. Programs want loyalty from players. Well, just like any other organization, the best (really, only) way to gain loyalty from people is to give loyalty. Make scholarships 4 years and it will be good for everyone.

Nothing in here to disagree with. Would make it fairer for the athlete and better for college football.

My only issue would be that the SEC type schools would find a way around the 4 year scholly requirement. All the sudden the kid who isn't performing on the field suddenly isn't passing any classes, even though he had A's and B's when he was playing well.

I might also put in a window to transfer without penalty in the first 1-2 years if a head coach is fired.

Back