What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO WR Sam Martin (Verbal to Miami, Ohio)

Sam is a good kid and I doubt that he likes the way that article came off. Looks to me that someone wanted to make that point and create a story of the prep board fuss. I seriously doubt he wants to bring attention to himself on this issue and be the poster boy for this debate.

Regardless, there are a handful of very good players from Fairview and Silver Creek that are on the bubble. That bubble may be P5 vs Mid-Major vs FCS vs D2. Some will outperform and some will underperform that initial forecast. Football goes from fun to a job in College and part of the trick is estimating how "into it" they will be, and how bad they want it.

Nobody should believe that player evaluation is black and white. How many Undrafted Free Agents are starting in the NFL? There's a pretty big margin for error and I think Sam has a lot of the things needed, but that there's just a question perhaps. CU's current staff has been interested in this kid, as was Bobby Kennedy. CU appears to have gone in another direction. Clearly we need speedy WR's asap. I don't think Dunston or Bobo can fly.

The Prep Board argument seems to go like this:

1. We want our kids to get scholarships at CU.
2. Anyone in the Top 20 in Colorado is as good as a player from TX or CA ranked outside the Top 100. (Disregard that those states have 300 kids go D1 every year, it's simple math - 20 is better than 150.)
3. It doesn't matter if even programs like Wyoming and CSU haven't offered a kid or even that UNCO hasn't - CU should.
4. Why? Because CU has sucked recently and they may as well suck with locals if they're gonna suck. It takes a lot of nerve to try to fix this by recruiting out-of-state prospects.

In short - **** the CO Prep Board. No one there has any interest in what is best for CU.

Sam is a good kid and I doubt that he likes the way that article came off. Looks to me that someone wanted to make that point and create a story of the prep board fuss. I seriously doubt he wants to bring attention to himself on this issue and be the poster boy for this debate.

I will recant that bolded part above as I have information now that leads me to believe this wasn't the motive. Sam must be reading those awful prep boards.

As 'Nik points out, there's some bad folks on there. One of which has since come out and admitted he's a Husker fan.

Everyone on these boards should realize that it's tough having your dreams crushed. Sam is a very good kid and this won't hurt him one bit. A man like HCMM has enough class to know that a kid just feels hurt. I'd love for Sam to be a Buff. But a kid wants to earn a schollie. Only natural.

just read through one of thre threads and someone suggested CSU had a better chance on getting Ballage and Jones than we did.

Jones - Probably, with the way Embree treated his brother. Ballage - No 'effin way. I'm hoping our coaches are still putting on the full court press. I still think there is some pressure on him to stay home.

The Prep Board argument seems to go like this:

1. We want our kids to get scholarships at CU.
2. Anyone in the Top 20 in Colorado is as good as a player from TX or CA ranked outside the Top 100. (Disregard that those states have 300 kids go D1 every year, it's simple math - 20 is better than 150.)
3. It doesn't matter if even programs like Wyoming and CSU haven't offered a kid or even that UNCO hasn't - CU should.
4. Why? Because CU has sucked recently and they may as well suck with locals if they're gonna suck. It takes a lot of nerve to try to fix this by recruiting out-of-state prospects.

In short - **** the CO Prep Board. No one there has any interest in what is best for CU.

That thread went full frittata.

Jones - Probably, with the way Embree treated his brother. Ballage - No 'effin way. I'm hoping our coaches are still putting on the full court press. I still think there is some pressure on him to stay home.

what happened with embree and his brother? Still don't think he would consider going to CSU.

what happened with embree and his brother? Still don't think he would consider going to CSU.

I believe Embree strung his brother along and ultimately didn't offer. Left a very bad taste in the families mouth. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PWO would be fine with me. If he really wants to play at CU, then that's the route he should go, and maybe he becomes Jeff Campbell 2.0. Otherwise, he should grab the Rutgers offer if it's there.

Sam Martin seems like a really good kid who has and will work hard and be a very postive part of whatever football team he ends up on. I hope he proves everyone wrong an turns into a top notch college player.

That said, I posted in a different thread that bringing in Colorado kids who don't end up playing and contributing doesn't do us or the kids any good. We need to recruit much better in Colorado but they have to be kids who can contribute and have a positive experience on the field.

Fairview isn't some hidden outpost that college recruiters don't see. They play enough other schools with potential D1 players that there is no way that multiple schools haven't seen him on tape. Apparently he hasn't stood out enough for a single one of those schools to offer. He not only hasn't gotten offers from other PAC schools but also from MWC schools have passed on him.

It would not surprise me if an MWC school or two do offer as we get closer to LOI day and their first line targets end up going to other schools. With that I would love if he came to CU as a PWO but just being a really good player in Colorado doesn't mean that he can play at the PAC level.

ASU (talked about during the bowl game by announcers) has a senior receiver that walked onto their program and not only earned a scholly, but is a starter. It can be done. Some kids just have to bite the bullet and go and earn something. Proving people wrong is much more satisfying then having it handed to you.

ASU (talked about during the bowl game by announcers) has a senior receiver that walked onto their program and not only earned a scholly, but is a starter. It can be done. Some kids just have to bite the bullet and go and earn something. Proving people wrong is much more satisfying then having it handed to you.
Kind of like Scotty McKnight, who left CU as the career receptions leader?

But the PWO question isn't a question. I'm sure HCMM would love to have Sam Martin as a PWO.

Sam is looking for a scholarship. He has several of those, so he's more likely to go to school for free than come to Boulder.

CU isn't taking a bunch of WRs this year and we got one that will join next week and participate in the spring, and I'd expect we may take 1 more now that JT is gone.

Lack of separation in the video on the first page is a major concern. Would be a great PWO. A guy that can come in, get better and earn a scholarship.

Great opportunity for him. Play well at that level, win some games, and get an education paid for.

Good luck Sam.

Nice. Glad for him. That is also my undergrad alma mater. Excellent academics, fantastic party school, very good looking co-eds, and on top of it, has had a long history of great coaches and individual players making it in the NFL (most famous of course is Ben R.)

Good for him. From what I hear that is a great school with a lot of hot coeds. Not a bad landing spot

Back