1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14 Schools turn profit from Athletics in 2009 - What about CU?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Del, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Del

Del Member

As I'm sure most of you saw a recent report shows that only 14 NCAA schools turned a profit in 2009 for athletics. All the articles I saw mentioned UT, Tennessee, Mizzou and a couple of other schools but I could not find the complete list. I remember reading in the Denver Post and Daily Camera that Mike Bohn said CU Athletic dept made a small profit this past year so I was wondering if CU would be on the list??? Has anybody found the complete list? I think it would be interesting to see who made it.

2. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

3. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

Here is a link to the report showing CU made money:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/pdf5/653748.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

Revenue of $49.85 million
    Expences of $48.2 million
    NI of $1.65 million

I am not sure if any of teh NI was ear marketed to pay back the $8 million they borrowed back in 2004/2005, or what the net balance on that loan is.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

The loan should be part of expenses, right? ALlbuff accountants?

5. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

From a corporate accounting perspective only interest on loans would be included in expenses. Principal payments would not (see balance sheet).

However, I have no clue what the accounting looks like at a public institution.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Are we sure that was 2009 data? It looks like it was sent/posted in October of 2009. That makes me think it was the 2009 reporting of 2008 data.

I'm starting to think that maybe the original article was incomplete because the details on 2009 profitability are simply not available yet.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Whatever, go Bohn. He has done a bang up job at 99% of what hes supposed to do. Now if only the effing coaches would start winning :lol:

8. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I agree. I don't really care about profit, etc. Just win baby!

9. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

We made a $1.65? Hey, we can go to 7-11 and buy a Big Gulp!!

10. Buff_since76

In 2009 there is a $21 million expense for ‘expenses not allocated by sport or gender’. I have no idea if this includes principal repayments. Since the terms of the loan arrangement were never made public the loan could require annual principal, or payment at maturity. As for priors years, here is how the AD had done:

Revenue: $42.3 million
    Expense: $39.7 million
    NI: $2.6 million
    Other expenses total of $16.7 million

Revenue: $52.6 million
    Expense: $48.4 million
    NI: $4.2 million – separately they list facilities improvements for some of this money (the track & field upgrade and locker rooms for football and basketball)
    Other expenses total of $21.2 million

11. Buff_since76

There isn't much information out on this. From what I can tell reports are submitted in September and published in October. I was unable to find anything indicating whether they are reporting prior academic year actuals, or current year budget.

12. Del

Del Member

Thanks for the info 76! - and I agree with SnowBuff that Bohn has been doing a great job on all fronts minus FB HC but I don't blame him for the hire because Hawk looked like a great get in 05 - even SI wrote an article about how everybody wins with Dan Hawkins.

I think when we look at the big picture you have to be pretty proud of the department being able to scratch out a profit with all of the things that have gone on the past few years with the "scandal" losing record, ****ty economy and trying to compete in a pro sports town. I would hate to be a program like ATM who has lost 16million or CAL that has been pumping money into the athletic dept from the general fund. -- Go Buffs!