What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO OLB Carlo Kemp (Signed to Michigan)

I wasn't real angry about his commitment to Michagan until I read the Carlo Kemp recruiting story in today's Post. What got me angry was the whole "The Paganos are the first family in Colorado football" statement. The second was his mom's statement that "I was worried that if he went to CU he'd be viewed as the savior."

How full of themselves are these people? His having CU on his final list comes across as patronizing. As if "Well, I liked Notre Dame better but kind of had to put CU on the list for good old grandpa" was doing CU a favor. And then there was his "maybe there is something up there I haven't seen" statement. How damned patronizing!

But worst of all was the "first family of Colorado football" crap. Give me a break! I know those were the writer's words but you know they damned well they believe it. Listen, if you are the "First family of Colorado football" you damned well better take pride in EVERYTHING about Colorado football and that includes your flag ship university!!!

Last edited:
I wasn't real angry about his commitment to Michagan until I read the Carlo Kemp recruiting story in today's Post. What got me angry was the whole "The Paganos are the first family in Colorado football" statement. The second was his mom's statement that "I was worried that if he went to CU he'd be viewed as the savior."

How full of themselves are these people? His having CU on his final list comes across as patronizing. As if "Well, I liked Notre Dame better but kind of had to put CU on the list for good old grandpa" was doing CU a favor. And then there was his "maybe there is something up there I haven't seen" statement. How damned patronizing!

But worst of all was the "first family of Colorado football" crap. Give me a break! I know those were the writer's words but you know they damned well they believe it. Listen, if you are the "First family of Colorado football" you damned well better take pride in EVERYTHING about Colorado football and that includes your flag ship university!!!
"And get off my lawn!"

Happy Sunday, DBT.

Fairview, bruh.

Well, you have misread the Pagano family. They are nice, humble, neighborly people. They do not call themselves first family or anything like that. You are angry at people for something they never said.

Be honest with yourself, any Colorado prep player that goes to Colorado is built up by local CU fans. It is natural when you have a small number of players from a small pool to hold them to a higher standard for no other reason than where they grew up.

You've fallen into the aged old trap, a trap even older than you, to find fault in the minutia of anothers words and actions because you feel scorned by something they did. Carlo Kemp is leaving, let him go. Maybe he will be successful at U of M, if so then wish him well. Maybe he will do like so many other CO preps that leave and are never heard from again. Maybe he will transfer to CU in a year or two like others seem to do every few years.

Do yourself a favor and release this inner anger that you are directing at an 18 year old young man and his family. Be honest with youself that it is not this young man and his family that is burning you up but rather something else.

Well, you have misread the Pagano family. They are nice, humble, neighborly people. They do not call themselves first family or anything like that. You are angry at people for something they never said.

Be honest with yourself, any Colorado prep player that goes to Colorado is built up by local CU fans. It is natural when you have a small number of players from a small pool to hold them to a higher standard for no other reason than where they grew up.

You've fallen into the aged old trap, a trap even older than you, to find fault in the minutia of anothers words and actions because you feel scorned by something they did. Carlo Kemp is leaving, let him go. Maybe he will be successful at U of M, if so then wish him well. Maybe he will do like so many other CO preps that leave and are never heard from again. Maybe he will transfer to CU in a year or two like others seem to do every few years.

Do yourself a favor and release this inner anger that you are directing at an 18 year old young man and his family. Be honest with youself that it is not this young man and his family that is burning you up but rather something else.
This is good advice, Big Jim.

I would've been fine if he'd taken CU out of it at the beginning and just said "I want to go out of state" rather than, in the article, saying he really wanted to visit Notre Dame but took his last visit to CU "to make my Grandad happy." That was patronizing. Just don't visit at all.

I would've been fine if he'd taken CU out of it at the beginning and just said "I want to go out of state" rather than, in the article, saying he really wanted to visit Notre Dame but took his last visit to CU "to make my Grandad happy." That was patronizing. Just don't visit at all.

If you do not want to feel patronized, then do not follow CU football.

DBT, You are getting trolled by the newspaper.
Ha! Maybe. I don't know why he bothered having us as a final 3 if he didn't have any intention of considering us. That was his quote. He should've just visited Notre Dame like he wanted to.

So, here is a question: Would you prefer a top in state kid who has no intention of coming here string us along through the process just to "be polite", or be straight with us from the beginning?

Wow. Go back to the beginning of this thread.

Anyone who had any awareness of the Kemp recruitment was saying that he was locked on going out-of-state and that remaining in the conversation as a viable destination would be an uphill battle for CU. Well, it turns out that MacIntyre and staff built a good relationship, had him up to campus a lot, and that it just wasn't going to be enough.

I'm not upset at this one. I am disappointed, but only in context of how great it would have been if Kemp had opted to play at CU. It went down as expected, with CU getting quite a bit more run that I'd thought would happen.

Hope the kid does well as long as he is not playing CU. These highly ranked recruits have a very tough decision and many have connections/loyalties outside of the state. We do need to give them a reason to stay here and in some cases we have. Like Nik said, I am surprised that we were in this as long as we were. It was such an uphill battle but MM and the staff pushed hard. We need to find a way to win some of these battles going forward.

I just went back to the article to see who wrote it since CU, apparently, does not warrant a full time beat writer like the Rams do. It was written by non other than Niel Devlin, which makes sense since he is the high school beat writer.

I just went back to the article to see who wrote it since CU, apparently, does not warrant a full time beat writer like the Rams do. It was written by non other than Niel Devlin, which makes sense since he is the high school beat writer.
Love the Adam Sandler movie where it is referred to as "taking a Devlin."

A damned if you do, damned if you don't situation from the start: you have to recruit him, but think of all the time that was wasted that could have been spent recruiting more realistic potential commits.

Very few people say they regretted going away for college. Many people say I regret not going away for college. I think he made the right decision for him. I will say that Colorado kids do not have a good recent history of going to the big 10 and succeeding. Kemp might end up at Colorado in a few years.

If the Mom is worried about expectations she does not have to now. I looked at a Michigan message board and 18 people commented on his commitment and video. 46 have commented on a thread called "why I hate twitter".

Fairview, bruh.
This.

Those of who know Fairview - and the Paganos in particular - are not surprised in the least. Fairview kids regularly go elsewhere. Boselli, Lockwood, Kemp... I'm sure this is nothing more than a continuation of an established trend.

This.

Those of who know Fairview - and the Paganos in particular - are not surprised in the least. Fairview kids regularly go elsewhere. Boselli, Lockwood, Kemp... I'm sure this is nothing more than a continuation of an established trend.

Add Kenny Bell to the list. Sam Martin would have been a Buff if offered and we did get Aurthur Jaffee.

Weird part is Fairview is coached by a McCartney.

Hypothetical question. If Jim Harbaugh or Brian Kelly were the coach of CU do you think gets out of town?

This coach and staff can't recruit, their highest rivals class rank is #63. Assuming Watts flips, only 1 rivals 4 star, Shay Fields during this whole period.

Very few people say they regretted going away for college. Many people say I regret not going away for college. I think he made the right decision for him. I will say that Colorado kids do not have a good recent history of going to the big 10 and succeeding. Kemp might end up at Colorado in a few years.

If the Mom is worried about expectations she does not have to now. I looked at a Michigan message board and 18 people commented on his commitment and video. 46 have commented on a thread called "why I hate twitter".
The whole "if he went to CU he'd be viewed as the savior" thing bugged me. It sounds kind of narcissistic to me. Fans would be ecstatic if he had chosen CU but I don't think he'd have been viewed as "our savior." Amen.

The whole "if he went to CU he'd be viewed as the savior" thing bugged me. It sounds kind of narcissistic to me. Fans would be ecstatic if he had chosen CU but I don't think he'd have been viewed as "our savior." Amen.

100 percent agree. I do think he could have made a "tide is turning in the instate recruiting" argument. But not a savior.

There might have been higher expectations for him at CU than at Michigan or Notre Dame, but that has nothing to do with him being a local kid and everything to do with him being a high profile recruit at a program that doesn't have nearly as many as UM or ND.

Isn't this the other side of the coin when in-state recruits are told that if they go elsewhere they'll be "just another guy"?

Some players want that.

Isn't this the other side of the coin when in-state recruits are told that if they go elsewhere they'll be "just another guy"?

Some players want that.
Yeah, I suppose. It's hard not to get a little upset when a difference maker type player (not a savior) from in state chooses to go elsewhere. It's probably worse being a Colorado fan since we have such a small pool of those types of kids every year. To lose one hurts a lot more than it would if it were a Cal or Texas school. I need to keep my emotions in check, haha. Good luck being just another guy, Carlo.

Yeah, I suppose. It's hard not to get a little upset when a difference maker type player (not a savior) from in state chooses to go elsewhere. It's probably worse being a Colorado fan since we have such a small pool of those types of kids every year. To lose one hurts a lot more than it would if it were a Cal or Texas school. I need to keep my emotions in check, haha. Good luck being just another guy, Carlo.
Jesus, Ol' man! You're tremendously butthurt about this.

Back