What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CA WDE Tava Finau (SIGNED to COLORADO)

tenor.gif

Rivals has a visit update. Sounds like he had a great time.

Surprising to me, but CU is recruiting for the "4" technique at DE. He looks like he has gotten bigger, though.
tgann3xy6bmyenrqumog

https://colorado.rivals.com/news/finau-has-excellent-experience-at-colorado
I understand what you're saying, but what I see that they're trying to do here is go to a truly "Pure" 3-4. where the D Line plays in two 4's and a 0 at the NT. It is SO much harder for offenses to read this alignment, and the defense can wreak havoc by slanting and stunting ....because it makes it that much harder for the OLine to anticipate blocking angles. It is for sure the preferred base set of a lot of "old school" defensive guys. But what is required is that the interior have good lateral movement and can create separation with their hands in order to 2 gap plays when needed, and be effective with slanting. I think Finau shows excellent ability within that mold, and has the frame to get up to 280 fairly easily. I am VERY excited about this pick up. Just my 2 cents.

I understand what you're saying, but what I see that they're trying to do here is go to a truly "Pure" 3-4. where the D Line plays in two 4's and a 0 at the NT. It is SO much harder for offenses to read this alignment, and the defense can wreak havoc by slanting and stunting ....because it makes it that much harder for the OLine to anticipate blocking angles. It is for sure the preferred base set of a lot of "old school" defensive guys. But what is required is that the interior have good lateral movement and can create separation with their hands in order to 2 gap plays when needed, and be effective with slanting. I think Finau shows excellent ability within that mold, and has the frame to get up to 280 fairly easily. I am VERY excited about this pick up. Just my 2 cents.
For those that need a little help to fully understand what Buffalo Bill is saying at a deeper level (like me), I found this link
4-tech would be over an offensive tackle. A traditional 3-4 defensive end lines up over an offensive tackle while the nose tackle aligns over the center.
upload_2017-9-21_10-10-30.png
Numbers are the technique played and the letters are the gap.

For those that need a little help to fully understand what Buffalo Bill is saying at a deeper level (like me), I found this link

View attachment 23670
Thanks for the link, and you're right, maybe I was a bit too technical for some. I am bored so I feel compelled to go into a bit more detail for the sake of clarity.

From the tackle in towards the center, the alignments of a D lineman are the even number (0, 2, 4) being defined as straight up (or eye ball to eye ball as some might say). If the same position "shades" to the gap inside (think your crotch lined up with his inside hip) it is defined as 2i, or 4i. If you shade outside, it is the odd number 1, 3, 5 (all of this is shown in the picture above). Most defenses/D coordinators these days play the D lineman in various shades because they think it makes it easier to help their guys to get into position, and not get hooked or sealed by an O lineman from the gap that they are supposed to be filling. Problem with this is that good QB's and/or O Coordinators, will use these alignments to their advantage because a lot of times it gives away what the Defense is trying to do (and have done in the past/tendencies)....and then run a play that should be more effective.

The reason that the "Old School" guys have always liked the 4, 0, 4 alignment, is that you aren't giving anything away to the offense pre snap, and then the D Line will step one way or another based on their assignment.....think the Defense dictating movement/angles more than the offense. The reason that a lot of D Coordinators don't do this any more is two fold 1) they want to simplify for their players, and 2) they don't trust their players to be able to move from a heads up position to the gap they're supposed to be in without significantly increasing their risk of being reached/cut off by the O lineman.

The next step in this progression is to align in a 4, 0, 4 and have the D Line two gap (not step one way or another at the snap).....but this takes personnel with superior ability/strength.

I think Finau could be a perfect fit for this position with a bit more maturity.

TL;DR A "pure" 3-4 alignment with two 4's at DT/DE and a 0 at NT is the greatest poker face a Defense can use to disguise what they're doing. But almost no one can, or wants to use it because reasons.

Last edited:

View attachment 23670
Thanks for the link, and you're right, maybe I was a bit too technical for some. I am bored so I feel compelled to go into a bit more detail for the sake of clarity.

From the tackle in towards the center, the alignments of a D lineman are the even number (0, 2, 4) being defined as straight up (or eye ball to eye ball as some might say). If the same position "shades" to the gap inside (think your crotch lined up with his inside hip) it is defined as 2i, or 4i. If you shade outside, it is the odd number 1, 3, 5 (all of this is shown in the picture above). Most defenses/D coordinators these days play the D lineman in various shades because they think it makes it easier to help their guys to get into position, and not get hooked or sealed by an O lineman from the gap that they are supposed to be filling. Problem with this is that good QB's and/or O Coordinators, will use these alignments to their advantage because a lot of times it gives away what the Defense is trying to do (and have done in the past/tendencies)....and then run a play that should be more effective.

The reason that the "Old School" guys have always liked the 4, 0, 4 alignment, is that you aren't giving anything away to the offense pre snap, and then the D Line will step one way or another based on their assignment.....think the Defense dictating movement/angles more than the offense. The reason that a lot of D Coordinators don't do this any more is two fold 1) they want to simplify for their players, and 2) they don't trust their players to be able to move from a heads up position to the gap they're supposed to be in without significantly increasing their risk of being reached/cut off by the O lineman.

The next step in this progression is to align in a 4, 0, 4 and have the D Line two gap (not step one way or another at the snap).....but this takes personnel with superior ability/strength.

I think Finau could be a perfect fit for this position with a bit more maturity.

TL;DR A "pure" 3-4 alignment with two 4's at DT/DE and a 0 at NT is the greatest poker face a Defense can use to disguise what they're doing. But almost no one can, or wants to use it because reasons.

I just learned so much I never even knew existed. Thanks guys, that's pretty cool!

Welcome.

He looks like a GAM, no waiting for him to put on 15lbs of muscle to be able to handle P5 players. Hunch that we don't see him sitting on the bench for long waiting his turn.

Welcome Tava!

I'm not sure if this is the place for further questions regarding defense. If not then feel free to move it.

A few more simplistic questions regarding the 5 interior defenders:
Assuming the Offense only has 1 TE then the weakside "4" technique defender only has single gap responsibility?
Assuming the 2 ILB's have gap coverage as well, then is total gap coverage communicated pre-snap by the D or is it each individual's responsibility to "read" the formation and play and guess correctly?
If you have a dominant "0" NT that can truly cover both A gaps then it appears that gap responsibility becomes much easier for the other 4 players. Is this why a dominant NT is so crucial for the success of a 34 defense?

Thanks and I'll hang up.

Welcome Tava!

I'm not sure if this is the place for further questions regarding defense. If not then feel free to move it.

A few more simplistic questions regarding the 5 interior defenders:
Assuming the Offense only has 1 TE then the weakside "4" technique defender only has single gap responsibility? Depends on the offensive alignment. For instance, assuming there is a fullback and 2 Wr, typically the 4 would still have to two gap and the OLB would set the edge (this is in case the Fullback comes down to block the "free" OLB, thus essentially taking the place of where the TE would have been). There are many many iterations of this. If there is no FB and 3 WR, then the 4 might just need to take the inside B gap.
Assuming the 2 ILB's have gap coverage as well, then is total gap coverage communicated pre-snap by the D or is it each individual's responsibility to "read" the formation and play and guess correctly? The ILB's read the blocking schemes and fill the gaps that are not closed by the interior. There should be absolutely NO guessing :). What's important in this scheme is the DL's ability to "squeeze" gaps. For instance, if the NT is in a 0, and the center tries to reach him to his right, the NT needs to be able to physically control the center by pushing him into that right A gap and use him to effectively close it down....then react back to the A gap on his left if there is a play coming there. While at the same time, if he is doing this, and starts to feel the guard to his left engage him....then he is now being double teamed. The NT immediately needs to drop anchor and not allow himself to be moved. The ILB are reading all of this and filling in where the gaps are opening up. Might seem confusing, but all this is sorted out and anticipated through film study/practice and knowing the other teams tendancies.
If you have a dominant "0" NT that can truly cover both A gaps then it appears that gap responsibility becomes much easier for the other 4 players. Is this why a dominant NT is so crucial for the success of a 34 defense? Yes. But this is mostly due to their ability to eat up blockers. If the NT is being double teamed or triple teamed, and the OL is not getting any real movement out of the NT, then that NT is occupying 1 or 2 extra blockers that should be blocking an ILB. A good NT will keep the "playmakers" clean in all of the chaos.

Thanks and I'll hang up.

See above

Good frame. 254 seems light for DT in a
3-4 scheme. Time for Wilson.
"They are talking about changing their defensive scheme," Finau said. "Instead of using the defensive lineman as a stud, sticking the offensive linemen up, we're planning to move and shift the linemen throughout the plays. I think it will be a four-man front."

"They are talking about changing their defensive scheme," Finau said. "Instead of using the defensive lineman as a stud, sticking the offensive linemen up, we're planning to move and shift the linemen throughout the plays. I think it will be a four-man front."
Wat?

Back