What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#18 CU WBB v CSU, Thursday 7 pm

Callie Kaiser is a sophomore. Our sophomore class is Kennedy Leonard, Alexis Robinson, Ariana Freeman(Tr), Mackenzie Ellis.. Also in that recruiting class was RFr Monica Burich. I don't see any spot in that class where Callie Kaiser would have been an improvement. That class is the best the Buffs have recruited in years.
I agree with part of your statement. Without question that class is the best that CU has had in quite a while. However, I think a very strong argument can be made that Kaiser is every bit the player that Robinson, Freeman and Ellis are, but not as good as either Leonard is now or what Burich is and will be.

I agree with part of your statement. Without question that class is the best that CU has had in quite a while. However, I think a very strong argument can be made that Kaiser is every bit the player that Robinson, Freeman and Ellis are, but not as good as either Leonard is now or what Burich is and will be.
Kaiser may be as good a player as Alexis Robinson is right now but I think Alexis has a better game for Coach JR's style and without Alexis on the roster I'm willing to bet that the Buffs do not get that 2018 verbal from 5* PG Mykasa Robinson.
Kaiser vs Ellis ... for me this is no contest. The Buffs weak area is the frontcourt and that's where they need help. Ellis helps there. Kaiser could not.
Kaiser vs Freeman ... this one is probably a toss-up at this point.

Good game for the Buffs. Anyone else wondering why CU didn't recruit Callie Kaiser?? I mean 17 points on 7 for 8 shooting.

Callie Kaiser was a good recruit for a mid-major program like CSU. They've had a lot of success the past couple of seasons in the regular season, winning a ton of games. Playing forward/wing for Broomfield as a high school senior she managed 15 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists per game Alexis Robinson put up 14 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists per game as a high school senior. Both are 5'10, but I don't think they are comparable players or capable of playing on the same competitive level.

Alexis is a very talented point and shooting guard, probably a lot more talented than most people probably suspect. Alexis plays off guard alongside Kennedy Leonard, who typically runs the point, and Kennedy has good court vision and has 58 Assists this season in 9 games. However, its just incredible that Alexis Robinson plays without the ball and has managed to find 37 Assists on her own in 9 games, and while playing 2 minutes less per game than Kennedy. Kennedy averages 6.4 Assists per game with the ball, running the CU offense, while Alexis finds 4.1 Assists per game playing off the ball, and having to first receive a pass before she can set up a teammate. A difference of just 2.3 Assists per game between the two is just pretty incredible. I truly don't think most people realize how good of a point guard Alexis Robinson really is.

However, Alexis brings a lot more to the table as a combo guard than just being a good distributor and elite shooter (shooting nearly .400 for three pointers, and 80% on Free Throw attempts). Alexis is a veritable defensive force in her own right. For a player that is only 5'10" she's a force to be reckoned with in terms of blocking shots. She doesn't patrol the paint, but a couple of times every game you'll see Alexis come over on help defense and absolutely send one into the stands. She is a huge difference on defense. While Kennedy often matches up with the opponents primary ball handler, Alexis averages only 1.3 steals less a game than Kennedy, and Kennedy is a great ball thief, quick to jump passing lanes or pluck an opponent. Alexis was one of the most highly rated recruits on this roster for a reason. She's just a great all around ball player, and one of the best players on this Buffs team.

Callie Kaiser is a great basketball player, and its hard to make a CSU roster as a US player as Williams prefers tall international players usually around 6'0" that can handle and pass the ball like a Point Guard, and shoot the ball like a Shooting Guard and post up like a Small Forward. In Mountain West competition which no one will confuse for Pac-12, Big-12 or ACC play, Callie only averaged 9 minutes a games as a Freshman. You can't begin to fairly compare the role and impact that Alexis Robinson had for the Buffs (in the Pac-12 no less). Robinson started 20 games for the Buffs and averaged 26 minutes per game, was 4th on the team in Scoring, PPG, and Attempts, and FG made per game, 4th in 3 pointer percentage while 3rd in Attempts and Made. Robinson was 5th on the team in Rebounds, and 2nd on the team in Assists and drew the 3rd most FT attempts, was 3rd on the team in Steals and 4th on the tam in Blocked shots. I don't think its even possible to effectively communicate just how core the contribution Robinson made to the Buffs as just Freshman. Callie Kaiser is a great basketball players and a local Colorado product, and she should have a great career for the Rams. However, there is always a huge talent divide between the Buffs and Rams and it isn't fair to the Buffs players or the Rams players to compare, really. Let CSU players have their success in the Mountain West. Let the Buffs players have their success playing in one of the most brutally competitive conferences in all of NCAAW. I don't see Williams ever getting a player of Alexis Robinson's caliber. Quite frankly, part of the reason the JR Payne turnaround is so effective is because the Buffs are lucky to have her. Callie Kaiser would struggle to find minutes on the CU roster, and doesn't face the level of competition in the MW that she would see in the Pac-12. At CU her numbers would be considerably affected by strength of opposition. Playing Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State, Hawaii, Air Force and Utah State are just not the same as playing Stanford, Washington, UCLA, Cal, Utah, or Oregon or Oregon State.

Who knows, maybe Callie Kaiser develops into a first team All-American. However, until she does I think projecting her onto the CU roster requires a fair consideration of who CU really has on the roster, and who the Buffs actually play against. Callie Kaiser found a good fit at CSU, but she's barely playing 14 minutes a game and averaging 5 points and less than two rebounds per game. I just don't think she would be a realistic recruit for a Pac-12 program, and while Colorado has had some recent struggles this team has been in the national top-15 conversation more recently than not, and isn't that far out as we speak. There is great basketball being played in mid-major schools, just great basketball.

However, we've seen great local prospects transfer from a mid-major to a major conference. Kailey Edwards from Legacy transferred from Denver to Boston College in the ACC, and we recently go to see her play a ton of minutes in the Omni Classic in front of her local fans. Kailey Edwards was recruited by Colorado, but Linda couldn't get her to sign. There was a game a couple of years ago where Denver played a Mountain West opponent in Utah State I think. Kailey dropped 31 points and had 8 rebounds against MW competition, and literally took that game over. It was a sight to behold. In the ACC I think her career high is 11 points in a game, and she's more of a defensive stopper. I've seen Kailey Edwards play and I've seen Callie Kaiser play, I wouldn't begin to compare Kaiser to Edwards, let alone to Alexis Robinson.

With Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson in your backcourt, and Lauren Huggin & Haley Smith in your frontcourt along with Burich and Ellis, where exactly would Kaiser's role be? Freeman is a better penetrating scorer and is the same size as Kaiser. She's not going to take Correal or Beard-Fails role, and Eleanor Jones might have more potential than any player on this roster. I don't see Kaiser playing for the Buffs, but I hope she becomes a start for the CSU lambies. I always like to see local kids play in-state.

I still think the one the Buffs missed on was Kailey Edwards, if we had to bemoan an in-state prospect that got away that CU was recruiting and didn't want to sign under the previous staff. I think she could have been developed to become a real talent. As it was her career kind of was halved, and she lost valuable development and playing time with the transfer. Even though Johnson had recruited her to DU, she wasn't one of his BC recruits, and he has different priorities at an ACC school than giving his old mid-major recruit big minutes.

Last edited:
Enough talk comparing players from the Lambies roster to the Buffs.

I really enjoyed the CSU game. I was surprised there weren't more people in attendance, but with the weather I can see most people up there near Wyoming might not want to make the trip down the 287 and the Diagonal. I thought the Buffs started out really slowly, and for awhile I felt like CSU was putting on a mid-major clinic in offensive efficiency. I'm still not sure what adjustment JR Payne made, or if the Rams just were caught up by the law of averages over the course of the game. I'd still like to see that game replayed if the Buffs couldn't take three pointer attempts. Take away Leonard's huge night and her 7 threes, and the other Buffs three pointers, and make the Buffs play half court against the Rams athletic length and I think it would have been a terrifically enjoyable game. As it was, I just felt like at times the Rams had really good ball movement and their European players showed the ability to run, pass and score, but just not quite at the same level as I would have thought. I was just very surprised at the number of unforced turnovers the Rams put themselves into, making a pass that just sails out of bounds or such. The Rams just had too many empty possessions that didn't result in an actual field goal attempt, and that is the difference in this game.

I'd love to see Williams continue to develop the Rams program. The Buffs were about as low as they are even going to get last season, and the Rams needed a great last second shot to get the win over the Buffs. I'm not sure this rivalry will be a rivalry going forward. Where JR Payne is going to take the Buffs I'm not sure Williams can follow. I just can't see him getting the recruits to a mid-major program like CSU. I was bitterly disappointed that the Big-12 didn't vote to expand this last fall. I still think it would benefit the Big-12 to have CSU in their conference to broaden their geographic footprint and encroach westward towards WCC and Pac-12 recruiting territories. I'd love to see what Williams could do with Big-12 recruits. However, this just doesn't feel like a competitive rivalry. Last's nights game was fun to watch but really when was the outcome of the game ever really in doubt after the first period? The best part about contentious in-state or regional rivalries is that they are competitively balanced. CSU vs CU just isn't really a matchup that I see CSU winning in the foreseeable future. This team is only going to improve under JR Payne. I don't see too many seasons like last year ever taking place here ever again.

Besides the turnovers CSU committed, the other factor in the Buffs winning was 3-point shooting. CSU, 2-14, CU 10-26.

CSU did indeed move the ball well in the half-court. And they were able get way too many easy looks at the basket, shooting 61% in the first half. The Buffs gave up a total of 32 points in the paint and that just can't happen in conference games if they want to find success. CU played man defense more of the game and it seemed to be all or nothing. They would give up an easy basket or create a turnover. This was an issue earlier in the season as well. Obviously it hasn't hurt them to this point.

Monica Burich - she had a big influence on the game particularly in finding spaces in CSU's zone and then either scoring or finding an open teammate. I felt she was instrumental in keeping the offense flowing. For me she's been a bit of a surprise as I didn't know what to expect. She looks to be gaining confidence as the season moves along. My guess is that she'll prove to be a key player this season.

As for Alexis, she is a very good athlete who can find her teammates with the ball very well. If she were a point guard on a team without Kennedy on the the team she'd be averaging more assists. Regardless, she needs to be recognized in her own right. When her shot isn't on the rest of her game helps carry the team.

We all know CU is lacking in the post. That will hurt CU in Pac 12 play. We don't have the players to compete in the post when we get to conference games. The other teams are just too good in the post. We have to hope the guards can make up for what we lack in the post.

We all know CU is lacking in the post. That will hurt CU in Pac 12 play. We don't have the players to compete in the post when we get to conference games. The other teams are just too good in the post. We have to hope the guards can make up for what we lack in the post.

3pt shooting is the great equalizer. Buffs have a chance if we can keep teams off the offensive glass. I strongly believe the key to success in conference play will be our defensive rebounding.

Definitely. If the Buffs can keep the 3 point shot falling, that can really help us. We simply don't have great post players so we will be relying on our young guards. They will get more great experience this season.

I hope you're kidding. She isn't close to any of them. Again, she's the 4th player off the bench for an avg team like CSU. Her numbers vs Power 5 before our game:

Vs UW: 9 min, 0 pts, 0-1 FG, 0 pts, 0 asst/reb
Vs Neb: 7 min, 0 pts, 0-1 FG, 1 reb, 0 asst
Vs OU: 15 min, 4 pts, 0-3 FG, 4 reb, 2 asst

Again, she had the game of her life Thursday night. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Back