What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2009 Early Big 12 Lookaheads Per "Scout.com"

cody can throw the long ball if its not windy.

And he can carry the team. I refer you to ISU 08. He got time, and DESTROYED them. I will be just fine with Cody as QB as long as the Oline works.

The true worry is not QB, it is the lines on both sides of the ball.

cody can throw the long ball if its not windy.

And he can carry the team. I refer you to ISU 08. He got time, and DESTROYED them. I will be just fine with Cody as QB as long as the Oline works.

The true worry is not QB, it is the lines on both sides of the ball.

Wasn't ISU the WORST defense in the Big 12? Are you really hanging your hat on that one? And beating a team on the last play is hardly a destruction.

I think Cody has the ability to be a good QB. But one question that hasn't been asked is if he can bounce back from last season. He took a lot of shots on and off the field. I wonder if he can regain his form he had during the 07 season.

Just for the sake of discussion, for the gang that thinks Hawkins will be our best option next season, how far do you think he can take the team if the offensive line supports him and is able to establish a respectable running game? Just curious

Just for the sake of discussion, for the gang that thinks Hawkins will be our best option next season, how far do you think he can take the team if the offensive line supports him and is able to establish a respectable running game? Just curious

lots of teams have won without a stellar qb who is smart with the ball. Cody will pick a team apart given time and talent to throw too. He is a better than average qb when he is not running for his life. CU went to a bcs game with a caretaker QB. Cody can win a game or two for us if put in a position to succeed. I think he can be far better than Pesavento.

SO fixing the damn oline is priority number One!!!

Wasn't ISU the WORST defense in the Big 12? Are you really hanging your hat on that one? And beating a team on the last play is hardly a destruction.

Just so that you may remember correctly....it took all of Cody's brilliance to win on the last play due to the offense & TH's inability to scratch their on nuts let alone move the ball against this terrible defense

If Cody has time he can make things happen....and if he has receivers that can actually go deep and make a play then the argument that he can't throw the deep ball might disappear as well

Cody made some sharp throws against nebraska when he could plant his feet and throw normally, i.e., when the line gave him time to throw. He doesn't have a cannon arm, but I think that his arm is stronger than people think.

But if the line blocks, I'm fine with whomever they start.

How far this team can go next season is dependent on a lot more than Cody, but I think Cody could be the best qb in the North next season, in fact I expect it.

Cody is not an extremely mobile qb, a guy like that just doesn't stand much of a shot with an O-line like CU had last season. However, he has a lot of accuracy on the short and mid range ball. Early in the season he was a little shell-shocked from getting hammered, but after his benching he became fearless in the pocket, he really stood in there and took some hits to get the pass off.

I don't think there is any question that the team responded better to him than Hansen last season, he is a leader and a gamer. He will almost certainly have the best grasp of the playbook, and is the most capable of making reads given the time. He has a lot of intangibles that Klatt had.

How far this team can go next season is dependent on a lot more than Cody, but I think Cody could be the best qb in the North next season, in fact I expect it.

Cody is not an extremely mobile qb, a guy like that just doesn't stand much of a shot with an O-line like CU had last season. However, he has a lot of accuracy on the short and mid range ball. Early in the season he was a little shell-shocked from getting hammered, but after his benching he became fearless in the pocket, he really stood in there and took some hits to get the pass off.

I don't think there is any question that the team responded better to him than Hansen last season, he is a leader and a gamer. He will almost certainly have the best grasp of the playbook, and is the most capable of making reads given the time. He has a lot of intangibles that Klatt had.

I'm a big fan of Cody's and of Tyler's, but I've gotta give a nod toward Reesing as the probable king of the North (16 Candles quote: Doesn't that kind of make you king of the dip****s?). The dude can throw, run and he's a leader--he's been running that offense for a while now.

Of course, I think we'll beat Kansas this year.

I'm a big fan of Cody's and of Tyler's, but I've gotta give a nod toward Reesing as the probable king of the North (16 Candles quote: Doesn't that kind of make you king of the dip****s?). The dude can throw, run and he's a leader--he's been running that offense for a while now.

Of course, I think we'll beat Kansas this year.

Oops--forgot about Reesling, Cody will not be the top qb in the North next year:sad1:

That kid is the definition of a gamer.

Cody made some sharp throws against nebraska when he could plant his feet and throw normally, i.e., when the line gave him time to throw. He doesn't have a cannon arm, but I think that his arm is stronger than people think.

But if the line blocks, I'm fine with whomever they start.

I'd be willing to bet that CU led the B12 in passes tipped at the LOS. LilHawk is not going to grow 4 inches over the summer. It sucks to say this and I feel really bad when I do, but if I take my desire for Cody to do well out of the equation and just look at it objectively it's clear that Cody is about the best you could hope for from a guy who's not supposed to be a starting D1A BCS QB. I love everything about this kid, I'd adopt him if I could, but he's just not got what it takes (arm strength, size, speed) if we want to go for 10 wins or more at the D1A BCS level.

I'd be willing to bet that CU led the B12 in passes tipped at the LOS. LilHawk is not going to grow 4 inches over the summer. It sucks to say this and I feel really bad when I do, but if I take my desire for Cody to do well out of the equation and just look at it objectively it's clear that Cody is about the best you could hope for from a guy who's not supposed to be a starting D1A BCS QB. I love everything about this kid, I'd adopt him if I could, but he's just not got what it takes (arm strength, size, speed) if we want to go for 10 wins or more at the D1A BCS level.

Okay, okay we get it. You got a thing for Cody. No sweat.

Sigh. he is a more than capable QB. he just can't do it on his own. If we get a solid Oline, he will break every single QB passing record on the books.

Stewart is the starter. No doubt. He's proven that he can come back from injuries.

Not like he's injury prone either.. he broke his leg on a horse collar that'd break most people's legs. A full offseason to recover, he'll be by an far #1.

I'm not going to declare the end of the world if Cody is the starter. But Hawk himself said that their expectation is 10 wins. I personally don't think Cody has 10 wins in him. I'm not being harsh on him, just realistic. He's a great kid, but he's got a lot of talent around him now, and I don't see him being able to fully utilize that talent. He won't be able to throw the long ball to Simas & Smith. He won't be able to run any kind of option. He's not a threat to run the ball. As was pointed out previously, he can't do the quick 3-step drops because of his size. Even though he might know the playbook, there's limitations to what plays he can execute. Hansen doesn't have those limitations. His only limitation is experience. Something he got last year.

I will not be satisfied with 7-8 wins next year. The schedule is too favorable to squander on an 8-win season.

Is the schedule really THAT much easier than last year´s just because we swap FSU/EWU with Wyoming/Miami OH? Apart from those 2 we´re playing the same teams we played in 2008 just with the venue swapped.

Guess it all comes down to what you expect and what you´d be happy with. I don´t know if I´d be happy with 7-8 wins, but anything less than that and I´d be really disappointed.

Is the schedule really THAT much easier than last year´s just because we swap FSU/EWU with Wyoming/Miami OH? Apart from those 2 we´re playing the same teams we played in 2008 just with the venue swapped.

Guess it all comes down to what you expect and what you´d be happy with. I don´t know if I´d be happy with 7-8 wins, but anything less than that and I´d be really disappointed.

MU, KU, and NU all at home, and having MU without Maclin, Coffman and Daniel AND having A&M at home all contribute to making next year a much easier schedule. OSU and UT would be tough games regardless of venue, so having them be road games isn't that big of a deal.

MU, KU, and NU all at home, and having MU without Maclin, Coffman and Daniel AND having A&M at home all contribute to making next year a much easier schedule. OSU and UT would be tough games regardless of venue, so having them be road games isn't that big of a deal.

With Hawk´s stellar road record, I might actually agree. I really didn´t think of our struggles on the road when I composed my other post.

As I said earlier in the thread, the QB position scares the crap out of me. I don't have supreme confidence in either CH or TH right now. I really hope one guy steps up and proves me wrong (preferably sooner rather than later), but I am not counting on it.

As I said earlier in the thread, the QB position scares the crap out of me. I don't have supreme confidence in either CH or TH right now. I really hope one guy steps up and proves me wrong (preferably sooner rather than later), but I am not counting on it.
I understand feeling worried, but Cody has proven he can be a caretaker at worst. There are other areas that we have far less information on.

If we don't win more than 5 or 6 games next year I don't even want to think about how we're going to do the following year with game against Cal and Georgia and our Big 12 schedule we need a good solid season this fall.

:sad1:

I'm OK with Cody if TH and MB can't beat him out this spring/fall. I really hope one of them does but until that happens I am getting used to the fact that Cody is the starter (and I think we can get to 8-9 wins with him). I believe TH has the goods but just has to put it together this spring/fall and in games. I would like to see MB but concerned he didn't make more strides in last year's competition.

So, assuming CH is the starter (or whoever it is) - we really need to see the following:
1) Cohesive OL that avoids the injuries - key to any QB or RB success
2) A few running backs who can prove they can tote the rock successfully AND block. It doesn't help us when you can predict the play by the RB we have in the game., or when the QB is on his a$$ regularly because of missed blocking assignments.

Wide receivers are a whole other topic but we need to add more speed, better blocking, and stop dropping the ball. Maturity is needed in this area. Did I mention eligibility?

I'm OK with Cody if TH and MB can't beat him out this spring/fall. I really hope one of them does but until that happens I am getting used to the fact that Cody is the starter (and I think we can get to 8-9 wins with him). I believe TH has the goods but just has to put it together this spring/fall and in games. I would like to see MB but concerned he didn't make more strides in last year's competition.

So, assuming CH is the starter (or whoever it is) - we really need to see the following:
1) Cohesive OL that avoids the injuries - key to any QB or RB success
2) A few running backs who can prove they can tote the rock successfully AND block. It doesn't help us when you can predict the play by the RB we have in the game., or when the QB is on his a$$ regularly because of missed blocking assignments.

Wide receivers are a whole other topic but we need to add more speed, better blocking, and stop dropping the ball. Maturity is needed in this area. Did I mention eligibility?

post #30 of this thread..... just sayin I think you are pretty accurate with your analysis here...

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=400856&postcount=30

Nobody else has stepped up yet. Cody is still the starting QB for CU. Hansen has a loooooooong way to go. Same with Ballenger.

I'm not going to be happy if we get to next fall and Hansen and Ballenger (especially) still have a long way to go. Ballenger has enough time in the system that if he's not ready to go there is a problem with the coaching staff's ability to identify talent or their ability to develop players.

I agree that Cody is the man until somebody steps up and takes that title from him. I also agree that it all starts up front. I do, however, believe that Ballenger and Hansen have more raw talent than Cody does (size, speed, arm strength, etc). If they coaching staff can't coach them up to make the most out of that potential, then it does not bode well.

I'm not going to be happy if we get to next fall and Hansen and Ballenger (especially) still have a long way to go. Ballenger has enough time in the system that if he's not ready to go there is a problem with the coaching staff's ability to identify talent or their ability to develop players.

I agree that Cody is the man until somebody steps up and takes that title from him. I also agree that it all starts up front. I do, however, believe that Ballenger and Hansen have more raw talent than Cody does (size, speed, arm strength, etc). If they coaching staff can't coach them up to make the most out of that potential, then it does not bode well.
raw talent includes decision making. When not addled by repeated pounding, Cody has shown that he generally makes good decisions (for a frosh/soph). Neither of the other two have shown that YET.

raw talent includes decision making. When not addled by repeated pounding, Cody has shown that he generally makes good decisions (for a frosh/soph). Neither of the other two have shown that YET.

Though Ballenger's touchdown to Mcknight (?) at the end of the Texas game showed a lot.

An earlier post questioned Cody's ability to return after the pounding he took much of the season. Question: Did you watch the first half of the nebraska game? Cody looked solid.

Cody is not an elite QB, but he is not a bad QB like most are making him out to be.
First of all, Cody got no protection last year, he does well when he has time. Put Peyton Manning behind our line last year and he wouldn't have fared much better than Cody, I can guarantee you that!

Second, you don't need a great QB when you have a line and a running game.

I do think Hansen will be our starter by confrence play if not before. but I think you people really don't realize the real reason for our problems last year. QB play would rank way down on our problems.

Honestly I was hoping to see the guy that decommitted to Utah, Wynn, to come in this spring and spice things up, I liked what I saw of him. Too bad he's going elsewhere. Evans I also like, but he won't be here until fall so he'll certainly redshirt and he's more of a project imo. Either way let's hope Ballenger or Hansen steps up this spring!

I just don't see Ballenger making any noise this year. I think the staff see's this also or they wouldn't have pulled the redshirt on Tyler. I'm not sure spring practice is going to shed any light on the situation either. The o-line will not be in much better shape than it was at the end of the season. Doubt that Illtis / MTM or Miller will be at 100% so we won't see if Cody can shine behind a strong o-line. Granted we will have Givens and some other depth but it will still not be our starting lineup come September.

I think that you will see Hansen come out of the spring on top because of his ability to move around in the pocket. Also other than Simas and Blackmon what different receivers is Cody going to be throwing to. Now that will change come fall practice but it ain't happen'n this spring.

I'm pulling for Tyler because I want playmakers out on the field. If he learns the playbook this off season he has the potential to be a dangerous threat.

Back