1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 NCAA Tournament upsets

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Gold, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Gold

Gold Well-Known Member

Call your shot. What upsets do you have?

Here's mine:

Davidson (13) beating Marquette (4)
    Cal (12) beating UNLV (5)
    Oregon (12) beating Oklahoma St. (5)

And noodling NMSU (13) beating St. Louis (4) but haven't committed to it yet.

I also have a few 10 vs. 7 and 9 vs. 8 upsets but those aren't really upsets.

2. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Bucknell to the sweet 16.

3. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

St Louis is damn good. I wouldn't go there. They could actually win a couple in a row.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I didn't go heavy on upsets this year.

But watch the 11 seeds. There's a chance they sweep.

On the 13 line, S Dakota State could be a headache for Michigan.

I also think this is a year that a 2-seed goes down to a 15. I'm hoping it's Pacific over Miami, but I'm worried about FL-Gulf Coast over Georgetown (would bust my bracket).

5. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Given the parity in the NCAA this year....I'm expecting a ton of upsets....which usually means there won't be any

1st round upsets I took were: Oregon, St. Mary's, Minnesota, Bucknell, Davidson, Buffs*, Iowa State*

* If you consider a 10 over a 7 an update

6. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

I just don't see a 15-2 upset this year with the teams as they're slated. Since I don't put $ into brackets, I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

South Dakota State

8. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

The only first-round (ok, the round of 64....) upsets I have are Bucknell over Butler and Minnesota over UCLA. As was mentioned by Gold I don't count the 8-9 or 7-10 games as upsets.

However the 2nd round (round of 32) is where I have gone big with the upsets (at least according to seeds):
    Pitt over Gonzaga
    NC State over Indiana

9. Gold

Gold Well-Known Member

I don't think I can do South Dakota State over Michigan, that is courageous.

Is anyone crazy enough to pick Harvard over New Mexico?

10. Buffnik

I'm not. I think the smarter "crazy" would be New Mexico into the Final Four.

11. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

You do know of Nate Wolters? And that they won at New Mexico this season and almost beat Baylor in the Dance last year? South Dakota State can ball when the 3's are falling, and Michigan is prone to their **** basketball (lost at Penn State who was 0-14 in the B1G at the time)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  12. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

That SDSU and Baylor game was fun to watch last year. Other than the Buffs, SDSU had the best crowd in Albuquerque and were really into the game throughout (until CU fans decided to drown them out with the fight song in the second half!). I really thought SDSU was going to beat them too. Wolters is helluva player.

13. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

Toying with Davidson over Marquette and Bucknell over Butler. Having trouble committing to either.

I really like Saint Louis so ya I wouldn't take NMSU. I'm shipping them to the Elite 8. Those guys beat New Mexico, VCU x2 and Butler x2.

14. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Bucknell is solid, but they're conservative. They're not going to go out, launch 3's, get hot and slay giants from the bonusphere. That's not to say they can't beat Butler, they got a nice draw in Butler.

15. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Minnesota in S16.
    Cal in S16
    Montana over Syracuse
    NC State over Indiana
    Bucknell and Davidson win, with Bucknell in S16
    N Mexico in Final Four
    Belmont over Arizona
    Oregon in S16 (although I was tempted to put St Louis in Elite 8)
    S Dakota State over Michigan
    VCU in Final Four
    Mizzou over CSU
    and of course, Buffs over Illinois.

I tend to go heavy on upsets, particularly this year...like Duke winning it all. I seriously do think that the S Dakota State and Michigan game will be really fun. Michigan struggles with defense, and I think Wolters can be the darling of this year's opening weekend. If Wisconsin can beat K State, and they easily should if the game weren't in KC, I think they take out Gonzaga. I haven't watched one second of their games, but a friend is really high on Akron. Hope you all enjoy the greatest weekend in sports. Go Buffs.

16. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

I see all happening possibly, but the bolded. Especially VCU in final four... no way in hell. The sdsu over michigan is very plausible, I just have a feeling it is one of those times the predicted upsetter gets blown out since everyone is thinking that. NCstate over Indiana IS happening.

17. Buffnik

I was high on Akron until their PG was arrested for drug trafficking.

18. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

He really knew how to deliver the ball. 8ball, that is!

ZING/self UBL/I'll take a lap now.

19. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

See above

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

It sounds like Akron was pretty high thanks to their PG as well.

21. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I picked New Mexico to the Final 4 in one of my brackets

22. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Aaaaaand, the first of the mighty-mighty Most Worthless Conference goes down. Over-inflated rpi = overrated.

Hope no one had Boise winning any games.

23. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

24. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

That's the toughest thing to me is having two high seeds playing each other in the second round. If I'm 50/50 about two teams, I usually go with the higher seed. Also, I try to pick upsets of teams I don't think will go far anyways. I think to win your pool, you need to do something to distinguish yourself especially if you pick a #1 or #2 seed to win it all. You have a bit more leeway if your picking let's say Michigan, since 20% of your pool isn't going to be picking that, and unless you live in Michigan, you'll most likely have to just beat out a few people (this is assuming your doing normal settings).

25. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Am I the only one who when I see South Dakota State abbreviated thinks San Diego State?, given how similar they are and the fact San Diego State is also in the tourney.

26. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

I am shocked no one has mentioned blemont over zona. I know that zona was looking good in the non-conf and played well in the pac12 tourney, but there were a lot of games during conf play where they just came out and **** the bed. The belmont team has 3 seniors and a junior starting, so they know their stuff - they've also been to the tourney for the last 3-4 years, but never came as close as they did in 08 (?) when they lost by 1 to the blue devils (when they were a 15).
    I took minn over UCLA - I just think that team has a tendency to come out too flat and minn will make them pay. Also, losing adams hurts.
    I really want SDSU over mich, but I couldnt commit to it - wouldnt be shocked at all if it happens.
    took the bruins over UNLV, because the game was close in dec and this is basically a home game for cal.
    I put st marys over memphis, but I thought that md tn st could have beat them as well.
    I have vcu over michigan, because while burke is good, he hasnt faced anything like vcu.
    And because I couldnt stop myself, I put CU over miami.

For those who are picking against the billikens, I wouldnt suggest it. Sure NMST has that 7'5 kid, but the billikens are charged right now.

27. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

That's what I've got, along with Georgetown (didn't like any F4 option in that region), Indiana and Louisville.

Only real upsets in my first round are Belmont, Bucknell and Minnesota, which are starting to sound like they're not really upsets... :lol: Also realized I only have one Pac-12 team getting out of the first round (and I don't mean the play-in games). I'll let you guess who that is.... :gobuffs: