What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CFB News & Notes (National)

SAIP - Morgan Mahalak is considering transferring from Oregon.

An athletic department spokesman confirmed the release, which appeared imminent when Mahalak began following on social media recruiters from schools such as Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Duke, Colorado and Syracuse after Oregon's 47-41 loss to TCU in Saturday's Alamo Bowl.

From what I understand in the local news, Mahalak has had a motivation/attitude problem at Oregon. Didn't show up ready to play or compete and hasn't really made the best of his time there.

No thanks, if he could not unseat the ineptitude that was any Oregon QB not named Vernon Adams, no need to look further.
I agree. I think he got in Helfrich's doghouse (for good reason) and never got out. He may have talent but not a risk we can afford to take. I only posted the link because it mentioned the Buffs.

Makes sense for Sanders. He's not going to showcase his skills for the League behind McCaffrey and I think they've got a young guy who was going to be stealing carries next year. OSU makes too much sense for it not to happen.

Unfortunate that he got stuck behind the phenom that is McCaffery. Fortunate that he can't stay in the conference.
1990's me can't believe that Ed's kid is a better running back then Sander's kid. Stanford people seem to think he will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart next year. That is some serious talent at that position!

Bold Predictions for Pac-12 Football in 2016

I usually wouldn't link a Bleacher Report article, but I think at least two points will be interesting to most here.

Colorado makes a bowl game
Head coach Mike MacIntyre took over one of the worst Power Five programs in the country when he was hired and has slowly but surely been rebuilding the Buffaloes to be competitive in the Pac-12. In 2016 though, Colorado will go from simply a tough out to a bowl-bound team.

You’ve seen signs the past two seasons, where the team went from simply running out of gas in the second half to remaining in position to get a win right down to the wire. The defense made a big leap under new coordinator Jim Leavitt (10 points per game fewer in 2015 than the year before), and there’s a sense that if the offense can return to what it was two seasons ago, the bowl drought in Boulder will be over.

Assuming quarterback Sefo Liufau stays healthy and progresses as a signal-caller with another offseason, the offense should be good enough to help the team finally get some wins that it had previously let slip through its hands.

Aside from a trip to play Michigan, the nonconference schedule should produce two wins, and then it’s all a matter of closing out down the stretch in the Pac-12. Three of the team’s final four games in November are at home in the chilly confines of the Flatirons.

I'm personally not sold, but optimistic. but it's a "bold prediction", wtf.

The Pac-12 will miss out on the College Football Playoff…again
It seems like only yesterday that the Big 12 was being left out of the College Football, which wound up prompting an existential crisis in the middle of the country. With five power conferences for just four playoff spots, somebody has to be left out, and once again in 2016 it will be the Pac-12 on the outside looking in. While missing out on the final four won’t prompt the league to reconsider everything about its tough scheduling practices, it will prompt plenty of questions for Commissioner Larry Scott every time he meets with the media.

As for the why the conference won’t make the playoff, it’s once again apparent that the lack of an elite team in 2016 combined with impressive conference depth will make for a difficult path to the postseason. Defending champion Stanford loses a ton of starters on both sides of the ball even if Christian McCaffrey returns. USC’s schedule is brutal, and Oregon has plenty of issues to sort out over the coming few months. Perhaps somebody can emerge as a contender despite suffering an early loss, but it will be an uphill climb for everybody in the Pac-12 to put forth a playoff candidate next year.
I was wondering about this one myself, but you know, which conference misses and which one doesn't, it's going to come down to which team doesn't have the off game, or only has one off game. at least, that's what I'd predict based on last two years. Pac is balanced enough though that escaping conference play unscathed seems onerous.
BR link

Back