What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Defense

I don't think there's any sugarcoating it... The defense next year is going to be less experienced and less talented than this year's, regardless of any '17 or JUCO kids they bring in. With that said, you can definitely scheme and coach up a good defense, even with lesser talented players. If Leavitt hangs around another year, I think the defense can still be decent, and hopefully a deeper and more potent offense is able to take some pressure off in games like Stanford, UCLA, etc where the defense had to be lights out to get the win.

I don't think there's any sugarcoating it... The defense next year is going to be less experienced and less talented than this year's, regardless of any '17 or JUCO kids they bring in. With that said, you can definitely scheme and coach up a good defense, even with lesser talented players. If Leavitt hangs around another year, I think the defense can still be decent, and hopefully a deeper and more potent offense is able to take some pressure off in games like Stanford, UCLA, etc where the defense had to be lights out to get the win.

I'm not sure they are less talented. I actually think we get faster. Problem is that they're not going to be as veteran. We'll miss that maturity a lot.

I'm not sure they are less talented. I actually think we get faster. Problem is that they're not going to be as veteran. We'll miss that maturity a lot.
Hard to say I guess. Chido, Spoon and TT are all more talented at this point than their replacements, IMO, and I don't think the DL comps are even a question. I guess you could argue that being veterans is what made them better players than what next year's guys will be.

IF IF IF we hold our recruiting class, I like our talent we are adding at the DE/OLB spot. Still a few years away but we are getting bigger and faster. This year I think we sacrificed pass rush for run stuffing ability with guys like Carroll playing DE. I think in the future we are giving up weight but gaining length and speed which should make us better at rushing the passer and disrupting blocking assignments in the front seven. That being said, if we don't have a solid kid who can anchor in the middle of this defense, we are going to hemorrhage yardage in the run game up the middle.

IF IF IF we hold our recruiting class, I like our talent we are adding at the DE/OLB spot. Still a few years away but we are getting bigger and faster. This year I think we sacrificed pass rush for run stuffing ability with guys like Carroll playing DE. I think in the future we are giving up weight but gaining length and speed which should make us better at rushing the passer and disrupting blocking assignments in the front seven. That being said, if we don't have a solid kid who can anchor in the middle of this defense, we are going to hemorrhage yardage in the run game up the middle.
Whatever it takes to compete with the UMs, USCs and UWs of the world...I'm game...

You get edwards, ellis or thompson it will look better.

Mcartney, gillam falo, need more lb's to step up.

Oliver, moeller, LA fisher is a good start.

Newcomer impact:

I see Newman, Landman and Van Diest being candidates for early PT. Film shows great instincts and I can see them all being quick study's. They will have to get some weight on as well. Could definitely see solid contribution from 2 of those guys.

I think Sparaco will compete for PT if he commits to putting on another good amount of solid weight, which is certainly possible. I expect that to happen given Dante is clearly focused on early PT.

Hamilton? Guy's frame is solid but no other offers is concerning. No Troy, Louisiana Tech, Western Georgia? Hmmmm. Give me 10+ offers like that (or perhaps 5 for a Juco) and I'm ok. But nobody? That one's curious. But the Juco's we've brought in on D have far exceeded expectations (minus the dude in jail).... So he'll probably start!

Expect Callier to make an early impression as well. Not sure about his ceiling, but seems like a guy ready to play.

Juco NT - This guy is going to be awesome.

Wigley and White (rejoining) will help solidify the DBs. Have no idea if Sanchez will ever be a factor (or not).

Last edited:
Back