What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Pac 12 South

ahoelsken

This division is going to be an absolute dumpster fire this year IMO-everybody has HUGE holes. Because we're in the season everybody puts out all kinds of preseason threads because we have nothing else to discuss. I thought I'd guess on how this is going to turn out this year.

1. Utah-Seems like the best of the bunch, and they've got the fewest holes out of anyone.
2. Arizona-Kevin Sumlin and Khalil Tate seem like a perfect coach-QB marriage, but I think better defenses they'll play will wise up to what they're trying to do.
3. USC-Probably an 8 win football team, but I think they've got a QB issue to fix, and I'm expecting them to lose to both Stanford in week 2 and Texas in week 3 (both of those are on the road).
4. Colorado-We get the favorable rotation of our conference schedule at home (I could see us favored in every home conference game other than Utah). We've got a fair amount of our defense back (Oliver is the biggest loss) and a returning and hopefully more mature QB.
5. UCLA-Chip Kelly is a genius, and he'll win big in Westwood. Another QB issue. Starter could more than likely be Wilton Speight-who isn't capable of running that system mildly.
6. Arizona State-Herm Edwards. Enough said.

Thoughts?

USC always pulls this crap. It seems like each year their supposed to have a down year then at the last second they piece it together. A lot will depend on the development of JT Daniels imo. I think after USC it's a total toss up.

If Chip Kelly has UCLA bowl eligible at the end of the season, he has done a good job. Brutal schedule.

You gotta be kidding me with this crappy analysis and ranking! Reading this just makes me want to see the Buffs run out on the field this Saturday! The articles about the off season are more focused on excitement and camaraderie and less about blowing smoke up our butts. Seems this team is bonding and getting closer together. If I was on this team and read this USA Today article, I would be seriously pissed off and ready to play.

This division is going to be an absolute dumpster fire this year IMO-everybody has HUGE holes. Because we're in the season everybody puts out all kinds of preseason threads because we have nothing else to discuss. I thought I'd guess on how this is going to turn out this year.

1. Utah-Seems like the best of the bunch, and they've got the fewest holes out of anyone.
2. Arizona-Kevin Sumlin and Khalil Tate seem like a perfect coach-QB marriage, but I think better defenses they'll play will wise up to what they're trying to do.
3. USC-Probably an 8 win football team, but I think they've got a QB issue to fix, and I'm expecting them to lose to both Stanford in week 2 and Texas in week 3 (both of those are on the road).
4. Colorado-We get the favorable rotation of our conference schedule at home (I could see us favored in every home conference game other than Utah). We've got a fair amount of our defense back (Oliver is the biggest loss) and a returning and hopefully more mature QB.
5. UCLA-Chip Kelly is a genius, and he'll win big in Westwood. Another QB issue. Starter could more than likely be Wilton Speight-who isn't capable of running that system mildly.
6. Arizona State-Herm Edwards. Enough said.

Thoughts?
Singleton just transferred from Utah to Houston. He was their best returning WR and they aren't very deep at WR. They seem to always have a solid team every year. Who knows.

Singleton just transferred from Utah to Houston. He was their best returning WR and they aren't very deep at WR. They seem to always have a solid team every year. Who knows.
If there was ever a year for Utah to win the South, this is it. Would love to see the Buffs surprise and snatch it again.

The South is the usual crap shoot. I think one of the 3 new coaches will surprise w a good season and USC just reloads. Da Buffs? Who knows? Questions about the OL and DL leave me nervous...

USC has a front seven who can carry them over the course of a season. It seemed like at times they became overly reliant on Darnold the last two seasons.

USC has a front seven who can carry them over the course of a season. It seemed like at times they became overly reliant on Darnold the last two seasons.
The thing everyone needs to remember is that USC will always have the most overall talent in the Pac-12 and the South will always go through them. They'll have some down years with 7 or 8 regular season wins, but there's never any denying their talent. USC recruits better than anyone in the nation if you look at it historically with who puts out the most NFL picks.

The thing everyone needs to remember is that USC will always have the most overall talent in the Pac-12 and the South will always go through them. They'll have some down years with 7 or 8 regular season wins, but there's never any denying their talent. USC recruits better than anyone in the nation if you look at it historically with who puts out the most NFL picks.

Why? I'm agreeing with you, but how have they done it for so long. Even Notre Dame has had some very down periods.

They change coaches like everybody else. Yes, there's been impropriety, but . . . . There are lots of other nice schools in nice locations within the Pac-12. Many schools have had very successful and dominant periods -- see Colorado:University of. More and bigger money investors ?!?!

Why? I'm agreeing with you, but how have they done it for so long. Even Notre Dame has had some very down periods.

They change coaches like everybody else. Yes, there's been impropriety, but . . . . There are lots of other nice schools in nice locations within the Pac-12. Many schools have had very successful and dominant periods -- see Colorado:University of. More and bigger money investors ?!?!
It certainly helps that there's enough talent to win a national championship being recruited within a 50 mile radius of campus. Then throw in all the tradition of national titles, Notre Dame rivalry, Heisman trophies, etc, with playing in the Coliseum, the weather, the boosters, the academic rep, and the flexibility that being a private institution gives them. They've got everything going for them.

A good portion of the country's best high school players grow up dreaming about playing for USC in the Coliseum. I would bet that a nationwide poll among high school recruits would show that an offer from USC is more desirable than Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Last edited:
A good portion of the country's best high school players grow up dreaming about playing for USC in the Coliseum. I would bet that a nationwide poll among high school recruits would show that an offer from USC is more desirable than Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Understand and agree to great extent. I think "we" are looking at from our bias, though. East of Colorado, and especially the South and east of the Mississippi, I think recruits lean toward those schools you mention. For example, I think Texas kids would poll higher for UT and similarly for AL, . . .

Understand and agree to great extent. I think "we" are looking at from our bias, though. East of Colorado, and especially the South and east of the Mississippi, I think recruits lean toward those schools you mention. For example, I think Texas kids would poll higher for UT and similarly for AL, . . .
True, but Florida recruits have a ton of big time programs in-state alone between UF, FSU, and Miami, and then have other powerhouses like Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, etc in the South where I would imagine the "dream offer" preference is pretty spread out among those 6-7 schools.

The midwest has Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan, with the spattering of teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State and Penn State.

Texas is honestly probably #2 behind SC, as even though the state has five P5 programs, it's all UT there.

In California, it's overwhelmingly in favor of USC. Maybe a small % dream of UCLA and the Rose Bowl, but it's insignificant to the % that dream of SC.

However, the Coliseum is/was a DUMP up until now that they are working on a renovation project. I know it is iconic, but it is not that nice of a stadium at all. That shows that the tradition is strong, but I feel that it is all about the talent in the area, period! Coaching there is considered by many, many people as the BEST job in the land, even over Alabama, because of the talent in the immediate area. Another reason that Miami should always be good, and why I am so amazed that Houston is not a potential powerhouse P5 program?

http://coliseumrenovation.com/

Katy is the powerhouse in the Houston area then it falls off. D/FW & Austin is where the bulk of the big schools that put out major talent are, which I believe has to do with coaching as much as anything else.
Where I live I'm 1 hour from Austin, Waco & College Station, add 1 hour Houston, add 2 hours Dallas. 5 D1 schools mom and dad can drive to so staying home in Houston isn't a big deal.

Back