What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Their TV contract pays their schools more than ours pays us lol

June 3, 2019
This year, Big 12 members have plenty of reasons to be happy — again. Bowlsby announced Friday the conference will distribute $38.8 million per school, up from nearly $36.5 million last season. By having Oklahoma and Texas in New Year’s Six bowls, the Big 12 gained an additional $6 million.

May 20, 2019
Payouts to Pac-12 member schools rose 5 percent to $31.3 million. Pac-12 revenue fell by $12 million in 2018 to $497 million because the conference could not make up for lost Rose Bowl revenue from when the game hosted a College Football Playoff semifinal after the 2017 season.

were coming up on the reporting for 2019. Both conferences had a team play in a New Years day bowl. But without March Madness I suspect it will be less money for both conferences.

As if we needed any more evidence that the NCAA is run by a bunch of incompetent boobs.

The NCAA saved money in case of a canceled March Madness. Then it spent it.

it built up savings of nearly $500 million to help mitigate the financial impact of a lost tournament. Then, in 2015, new NCAA leadership decided to spend more than $400 million of those savings without increasing the NCAA’s insurance coverage

The insurance coverage was $270 million. The tournament generates $800 million.

The rainy day fund was pretty much the perfect size.

Until the idots running the show went and spent it.

As if we needed any more evidence that the NCAA is run by a bunch of incompetent boobs.

The NCAA saved money in case of a canceled March Madness. Then it spent it.

The insurance coverage was $270 million. The tournament generates $800 million.

The rainy day fund was pretty much the perfect size.

Until the idots running the show went and spent it.
Lol you'd think they would hold off until the tournament was either played or not played to spend money they saved specifically for the possibility of the tournament not being played.

Lol you'd think they would hold off until the tournament was either played or not played to spend money they saved specifically for the possibility of the tournament not being played.
Think about your comment a moment. They spent the money in 2015; the tournament was played in 2015. I'm not sure you understand how rainy-day funds are supposed to work.

Think about your comment a moment. They spent the money in 2015; the tournament was played in 2015. I'm not sure you understand how rainy-day funds are supposed to work.
My mistake, I completely missed the 2015 part and thought it was referring to money saved or built up over the course of this season. Obviously wasn't paying close attention or thinking very well this morning

What a shame

Denver's economy is pretty deeply tied in too. George Solich would obviously be one example, but I'm sure there are many CU AD donors who are hurting due to the oil situation. It's almost certainly worse on the whole for the Big 12, of course.

Denver's economy is pretty deeply tied in too. George Solich would obviously be one example, but I'm sure there are many CU AD donors who are hurting due to the oil situation. It's almost certainly worse on the whole for the Big 12, of course.
Not necessarily Denver, but Colorado in general. However, there are some P5 athletic departments who are solely dependent on oil guys donations. Most AD's probably have a pretty good endowment so will probably be fine in the short run. However, if this goes on for a long period, those AD's will need to make some massive cuts, especially with how most AD's are in constant building phase.

Not necessarily Denver, but Colorado in general. However, there are some P5 athletic departments who are solely dependent on oil guys donations. Most AD's probably have a pretty good endowment so will probably be fine in the short run. However, if this goes on for a long period, those AD's will need to make some massive cuts, especially with how most AD's are in constant building phase.
The word I latched onto in your post is "endowment". If the market tanks, and even bonds become worthless (if states and other govt entities declare bankruptcy), those endowments will stop generating income.

The word I latched onto in your post is "endowment". If the market tanks, and even bonds become worthless (if states and other govt entities declare bankruptcy), those endowments will stop generating income.
Definitely. I guess I was talking more about oil not stabilizing than the economy in general.

University of Arizona president Dr. Robert Robbins said Wednesday that he does not anticipate the Wildcats playing football this fall, even though the university plans to bring students and faculty back to campus for face-to-face instruction during the fall semester. ...

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021. ...

Robbins' comments echoed those of University of Connecticut president Tom Katsouleas, who told students in a UConn journalism class teleconference Tuesday that the "current thinking is that likely fall sports will be canceled -- with the exception of those that can be played at a safe distance."

espn link

in other news:

After weeks of uncertainty surrounding the upcoming college football season, 99 percent of the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) athletic directors polled by Stadium believe a season will be played in one form or another.

When exactly the season begins is the biggest question. Even though the start of college football is still four months away, 75 percent of the athletic directors believe the season will be delayed.

caveat emptor: i cannot seem to locate the date of when the reported survey took place

graph_1-768x432.jpg.webp

watchstadium (??wtf is watchstadium??) link

out of what I assume to be financial desperation, Tech is now offering a monthly payment plan with only 10% down for first-time season ticket holders.

SIAP

Weird paragraph from the story:

The university said 12-month employees earning more than $40,000 per year are required to take furloughs between May 3 and July 31. The highest-paid employees making more than $150,000 annually will have to take 10-day furloughs.

So if you make >$40k but <$150k you are being furloughed for 2 months. If you make >$150k then you are being furloughed for 10 days.

So if you make >$40k but <$150k you are being furloughed for 2 months. If you make >$150k then you are being furloughed for 10 days.
JFC.

I know you don't political commentary in this thread, but

JFC.

SIAP
Here is the direct source:
This form is used to select the dates of your involuntary furlough. Furlough days can be taken between May 3, 2020 and July 31, 2020. The number of required furlough days is based on your current base salary according to the schedule below:
  • Annual salary of $150,000 or more – 10 furlough days
  • Annual salary of $100,000 – $149,999 – 7 furlough days
  • Annual salary of $75,000 – $99,999 – 5 furlough days
  • Annual salary of $40,000 – $74,999 – 4 furlough days
Furloughs need to be taken in full-day increments. Furlough days are self-selected by filling out this form by May 1, 2020. After May 1, 2020 furlough days will be selected for individuals that have not completed the Mandatory Furlough Form.

Edit - well, ****. Aerobuff appears to have just proved this is horsecrap.

It is a horrible look. I'm betting the thought process is "more senior employees making the decisions are more strategic and therefore, essential. They will just have to action their plans shorthanded during this tough time for all of us"

I honestly can't believe they allowed that phrasing to get out in the public. They needed to control that message.

Edit - well, ****. Aerobuff appears to have just proved this is horsecrap.

It is a horrible look. I'm betting the thought process is "more senior employees making the decisions are more strategic and therefore, essential. They will just have to action their plans shorthanded during this tough time for all of us"

I honestly can't believe they allowed that phrasing to get out in the public. They needed to control that message.

I figured it had to be wrong.

10 day furlough? Is that normal?

What CU did was a lot better-roughly half a million in savings ish via the cuts RG, Dorrell, Tad, and Payne took? Here's a question the Pac 12 and Big 10 could find themselves in: What if say Colorado, Utah, and Arizona are ready to return to in person learning in the fall despite the CA/WA/OR schools saying "No, not yet" for us?

Oklahoma's interim president says they're coming back in the fall.

Last edited:
Heard a mention today on Kreckman’s show that NCAA may play football in the spring. Have any of you heard anything about that? Maybe they were just spitballing.

Back