What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

I'm not that worried about star ratings, we've all seen how lower star players have gone on to be extremely productive... but it's not like it doesn't matter at all. Tucker brought in a 2020 class which was 35th in the nation and while it looks like Harris was a miss, there's also Gonzalez, Clayton, Rice, Lewis... I've got high hopes for Wray and Lee too but I guess we'll see.

Arguably what matters more is winning recruiting battles. We know that there's a huge gradation of talent ranked in the 2-3 star range, but if we're constantly losing battles and settling on our 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice for offers then we're gonna have a bad time.

I agree that it's a bad look for KD to talk about 2 stars... but it's a bad look to fans and the media. If he's building an underdog culture in the locker room by telling his players "I believe in you. I think you can be great, those so called experts don't know about the amount of heart you have, let's go out there and be great and prove them wrong." then I really don't have a problem with it.
Signed,

Mike Macintyre

i have never defended bad recruiting classes. But Mel Tucker class was good. KD class was okay, not terrible. I am not obsessed with star rating. For example if there are two players, one is a 5 star player but a bad fit, and you have a 3 star player that is a perfect fit. I would choose the 3 star player. The earth is obviously round. Climate change is a big problem. Ban the use of gas powered vehicles by 2030. Ban the use of single use plastics. Reduce the use of fossil fuel.
You do realize fossil fuels are used to make electricity and that powers EVs right?

KD didn't say he was going to depend on 2 stars. He just said there is too much obsession with star rating. The most important things are
1. Can the recruit play

200.gif

I don't think its incorrect to think that a class ranked in the 30's is going to put more talent out on the field then a class ranked in the 60's. Mel Tucker's only class looks like it has brought in a QB, DB, RB and a couple legit WR's. Unfortunately the DE's didn't work out. But the fact is the high 3 star kids were able to step on the field immediately and push other players down the depth chart. Rarely do we see that with classes that rank in the 60's. Those kids typically take years to develop or see the field to soon and look lost as the team gets pounded or worse they get injured because they weren't physically ready to play (probably why they were a 2 star/low 3 star to begin with.

Recruiting class is okay. It is not atrocious. The coaching staff came in late and still got a top 30 QB, Recruited well on the DL and Secondary. Got a really good TE. It is not fair, not credible to criticize a coach for recruiting after he came in late in the process. Also couldn't really recruit in the traditional way due to Covid 19. Lets see how he does with the 2022 class.

Recruiting class is okay. It is not atrocious. The coaching staff came in late and still got a top 30 QB, Recruited well on the DL and Secondary. Got a really good TE. It is not fair, not credible to criticize a coach for recruiting after he came in late in the process. Also couldn't really recruit in the traditional way due to Covid 19. Lets see how he does with the 2022 class.
Didn't we say the exact same thing about the last class?

It is fair to criticize because it's a results based business.

KD carried over 4 coaches, he didn't start from 0 with no relationships with any recruits. Still all other new P5 HC out recruited the buffs this cycle with completely new staffs.

Last I checked everyone dealt with Covid restrictions, not just us.

It is fair to criticize because it's a results based business.

KD carried over 4 coaches, he didn't start from 0 with no relationships with any recruits. Still all other new P5 HC out recruited the buffs this cycle with completely new staffs.

Last I checked everyone dealt with Covid restrictions, not just us.
This is like using incomplete data to make a decision. You may be right, KD might be a terrible recruiter. But I will reserve judgement until he is given a fair shake The guy was planning to be a WR coach in the NFL getting ready for camp. The last time he coached in College was like 4 years ago at Vandy. The CU program was in a crisis, coaches were using negative recruiting to pinch CU recruits. KD came in and saved the program from a disasterous lost cycle of recruiting. He had a winning season. The team played well got to a bowl game. There is a lot to build on.

This is like using incomplete data to make a decision. You may be right, KD might be a terrible recruiter. But I will reserve judgement until he is given a fair shake The guy was planning to be a WR coach in the NFL getting ready for camp. The last time he coached in College was like 4 years ago at Vandy. The CU program was in a crisis, coaches were using negative recruiting to pinch CU recruits. KD came in and saved the program from a disasterous lost cycle of recruiting. He had a winning season. The team played well got to a bowl game. There is a lot to build on.
This is kind of awesome. BB makes a reasonably viable point (rare!) then proceeds to destroy KD as a coaching hire for most of his post.

RT- Wray or Wiley
RG- Roddick
C- Pursell or Jynes or Johnson or Lee
LG- Kutsch or Lytle or Johnson or Lee
LT- Filip

RT- Wray or Wiley
RG- Roddick
C- Pursell or Jynes or Johnson or Lee
LG- Kutsch or Lytle or Johnson or Lee
LT- Filip
There is no “or” with Pursell or Kutsch. Where is Ray? He was the first lineman off the bench, now isn’t even on the depth chart? Is he hurt? Regressed? So many questions

In 2017, Cook was the offensive coordinator at Georgia Southern. From 2013-16, he coached quarterbacks and B-Backs at Georgia Tech, and he was co-offensive coordinator at Cal Poly from 2009-12, coaching quarterbacks and fullbacks. From 2004-08, he was in the prep ranks, including four years as a head coach.
HS experience is in NJ.

Was hoping for a good recruiter at that tight end spot. Feels like we went “coaching” over recruiting again with this one

He seems like he's been around a lot of option and power running offenses. They typically will use TEs heavily. Definitely a coach first recruiter second hire.

Back