What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Offset confirmed, and at least to this point, no settlement ala Paul Chryst. Can he double dip as a network analyst for a couple seasons or does the offset apply to any job. Point being, I doubt money is going to be a factor here.

Offset confirmed, and at least to this point, no settlement ala Paul Chryst. Can he double dip as a network analyst for a couple seasons or does the offset apply to any job. Point being, I doubt money is going to be a factor here.

End of the day there's also nothing stopping Rhule from agreeing to a contract structure that ****s over the Panthers if he wishes to do so. He's getting at least 9m-ish a season between 2023 and 2026, so what if he agrees to a contract that pay 2m a year between '23 and '26 and then jumps to 7m in 2027?

End of the day there's also nothing stopping Rhule from agreeing to a contract structure that ****s over the Panthers if he wishes to do so. He's getting at least 9m-ish a season between 2023 and 2026, so what if he agrees to a contract that pay 2m a year between '23 and '26 and then jumps to 7m in 2027?

Some contract offsets stipulate you need to be paid market rate at the new job.

That will look a lot like closing time at Tulagi.
drunk jada pinkett GIF by Girls Trip
drunk costume party GIF by SMOSH

Yeah, I would say Louisville, GT and ASU are swimming in essentially the same pool, although GT could go with a guy like Chadwell, who almost assuredly isn't on CU's list (mutually). ASU will be the main competition. Same conference situation, same tier of program for all intents and purposes, better natural recruiting grounds, more backing from the administration (at least at current from what we know), but they do have looming sanctions that could really be a deterrent.
I would watch the Nubs for Chadwell too.

Other thing with ASU-Anderson might follow Herm out the door.

Two jobs in the ACC might open with late season collapses. Florida State's one. Norvell has underachieved by their standards. They're 4-2 right now, but their schedule (Clemson, a GT team playing well under Brent Key, @Miami, @Syracuse, Louisiana, and Florida) isn't easy the rest of the way. Syracuse is the other. I know they're 5-0, but they still have to play NC State, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest. Interesting note with Syracuse is Robert Anae is their OC. He's worked for Bronco Mendenhall for all but 3 of the last 15 years or something like that. If the Orange sputter coming off their bye and finish 8-4, that could help us possibly get him to Boulder.

Yeah, I would say Louisville, GT and ASU are swimming in essentially the same pool, although GT could go with a guy like Chadwell, who almost assuredly isn't on CU's list (mutually). ASU will be the main competition. Same conference situation, same tier of program for all intents and purposes, better natural recruiting grounds, more backing from the administration (at least at current from what we know), but they do have looming sanctions that could really be a deterrent.
I don't know, Louisville has a BUNCH of money to burn. They are one of the biggest players in the NIL space. I would expect that job to pull names that no one is thinking of.

ASU is probably the main competition, but I'm not so sure that RG and Ray Anderson have the same names in front of them. They live in different corners of incompetence

ASU and CU are probably fighting for the same coach
I'm not sure that's true. Tom Herman? Maybe. But can you see really see ASU going for Bronco Mendenhall? I sure can't. On the other side, can you see the Buffs looking at someone like Deion Sanders? I cannot.

They are probably at the same level of candidate, but I think the schools are different enough where there's plenty of free space for CU

I'm not sure that's true. Tom Herman? Maybe. But can you see really see ASU going for Bronco Mendenhall? I sure can't. On the other side, can you see the Buffs looking at someone like Deion Sanders? I cannot.

They are probably at the same level of candidate, but I think the schools are different enough where there's plenty of free space for CU
That's mostly what I was referring to; the level of candidate. The specific names could be different, but I feel like Nebraska and Auburn, for example, could poach current P5 HCs, while neither CU or ASU aren't likely going to do that.

Maybe not necessarily the same coach, but the same level of coach. There will also be overlap with a top of your board coach (Herman, Grimes, etc.).

We probably can't afford it, but damn I'd take Rhule in a heartbeat. I'm sure other programs will throw much more money at him though.

We probably can't afford it, but damn I'd take Rhule in a heartbeat. I'm sure other programs will throw much more money at him though.
Everyone can afford Matt Rhule. He will be getting $8 million +/- from the Carolina Panthers less the offset for the next five years. So, if a college program gives him $4 million a year, Carolina eats $4 million, and Rhule gets his $8 million.

I think Rhule can go where he wants and CU likely not his first choice, but it’s not the money.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

He can sign a contract for a lower amount in the initial years. If he worked it right he could have some of the money the college would have paid him and put it up front to bring in some of the guys he wants for assistants with the understanding that their future contracts will be less than the initial ones.

Tom Herman screams Tempe.
Ya I think this too. My buddy with ASU AD connect says there is some booster and program support to try and poach Jonathan Smith from Beavers if plan A falls apart.

grain of salt though because Plan A was supposedly Rhule and that doesn’t seem likely if reporting about Rhule only taking a few select jobs is true.

The ASU job isn’t attractive right now. ****ty AD, conference uncertainty, potential big time sanctions looming. I hope the NCAA drags its feet on handing down their punishment to keep that job in limbo a bit longer. Or, I guess drop the hammer and have it be substantial so any solid candidates stay away

Ya I think this too. My buddy with ASU AD connect says there is some booster and program support to try and poach Jonathan Smith from Beavers if plan A falls apart.

grain of salt though because Plan A was supposedly Rhule and that doesn’t seem likely if reporting about Rhule only taking a few select jobs is true.
The ASU job isn't a great job but because of the transfer issues at CU (in this Transfer Era) it's a better job than CU.

Back