What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me one thing KD has done here that you think is measurably better than what Chiv would have done.

Hired Meat, So’ Oto, Chance, Turley. Lead CU to a bowl game in a funky covid season. Beat UCLA, Wshington, Stanford, Oregon State, San Diego State.

I get it. You have painted yourself into a corner and at this point. You cannot allow for one single positive about KD and are now having to turn to ultra hyperbole in order to have something newish to say.

Wow.

So our new reality is that anyone we have who would be able to start for a more $ucce$$ful program will leave for his final year he wants to stay in college to use it for NFL draft audition while putting some extra money in his pocket.

I don't blame the players for making these decisions within the current rules & environment, it just sucks for most fan bases.
Exactly. So expect to see our most talented players hit the portal. This whole thing is going to rock college football in general. Most will suffer and like it is with the rest of life - the one percent will dominate like never before.

Say what you will about Dorrell-but when you're trying to build, you need kids who aren't going to look for the easy way out when it gets hard for them here.

Rice is easily the kind of kid who might get left behind in the portal because there's so much talent in it right now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Honestly, I see this. He’ll end up at a low tier P5/G5 and do pretty good. But no one will se him play. It seems that’s what happens with most folks that transfer out.

But also, this should be a huge nail in KD’s coffin.

Hired Meat, So’ Oto, Chance, Turley. Lead CU to a bowl game in a funky covid season. Beat UCLA, Wshington, Stanford, Oregon State, San Diego State.

I get it. You have painted yourself into a corner and at this point. You cannot allow for one single positive about KD and are now having to turn to ultra hyperbole in order to have something newish to say.
Finally a (somewhat) reasonable response. You have misread me. Despite the parsed commentary on this board, I actually want KD to succeed and think highly of him as a person (and have said as much on this board several times). But guaranteeing someone that kind of money with the hope that they will accomplish something that they never have before in their career is so CU, and all signs are pointing to him not proving everyone wrong.

I’m glad that Chiv moved on. That said, for arguments sake, your list of accomplishments in favor of KD really hold no water. We cannot predict what games Chiv would have won and lost. I will conceded that he wouldn’t have been able to hire those coaches, but one could also argue that he would have hired some fresh energetic coaches that would have placed recruiting as a priority, we wouldn’t have had Rod or Langsdorf, and all without the financial handcuffs that we currently have with KD. I also think it would have been an utter disaster under a Chiv.

The football program was a doormat, and is declining rapidly from there under the current regime, and I don’t see how it would have been (collectively) any worse under Chiv (read better recruiting with worse on field performance).

The simple fact that we are even having this debate is what pisses me off the most.

Last edited:
I believe that program stability matters with transfers.

Rice was looking at his 3rd OC, 2nd WR Coach & 3rd offensive system since he signed.

A stat they put up during the Rose Bowl is that since KW has been at Utah, CU leads the Pac-12 in different HCs with 6 during KW's tenure.

If CU can stabilize, that by itself will improve our portal situation. Guys who play here will at least feel part of something.

I hope KD can do it. I understand why RG was looking for someone who would stick for a long time.

Wow.

So our new reality is that anyone we have who would be able to start for a more $ucce$$ful program will leave for his final year he wants to stay in college to use it for NFL draft audition while putting some extra money in his pocket.

I don't blame the players for making these decisions within the current rules & environment, it just sucks for most fan bases.
It's a simple solution, become one of the Have's not Have Not's. Recruiting and coaching up. This staff does neither, everyone (including the players) except Big Bang acknowledge this.
There wouldn't be a complaint from anyone if the Buffs were playing in a bowl game this morning and afterwards announced they signed 5 top players from other programs.

Gonzo and Rice were the bellwethers. The best underclassman on O and D hit the road. Pretty much says it all.

I like the Soto hire. But in traditional CU fashion, the fanbase and donors start screaming loud enough, the band aid gets slapped on the headwound. Probably too little too late.

No one should be surprised. We brought in an OC that runs the ball 70% of the time.

The o/u on wins next year should be 1.
Who do they beat? Seriously question. This staff can't coach, the remaining players are not PAC12 level players (maybe MLC, Lang and BLewis). I expect Embree level losing scores

The football program was a doormat, and is declining rapidly from there under the current regime, and I don’t see how it would have been (collectively) any worse under Chiv (read better recruiting with worse on field performance).

Yes, CU was a doormat. But to say CU is declining is just flat mob mentality group think. KD is building a better program than MacIntyre built. KD is not building a better program than what MT was building and that is why KD is so hated.

MT gave us hope and KD is a disappointment following MT. KD is a better coach than Hawkins, Embree and MacIntyre. I’m not saying KD is going to build CU i to a winner, just that he isn’t a program wrecker at an already wrecked program.

Say what you will about Dorrell-but when you're trying to build, you need kids who aren't going to look for the easy way out when it gets hard for them here.

Rice is easily the kind of kid who might get left behind in the portal because there's so much talent in it right now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Leaving when things get hard is one thing.

Leaving when it’s obvious that leadership doesn’t give two ****s about winning is another thing entirely.

Gonzo… Rice… etc… these guys aren’t quitting because things are hard. They’re smart enough to see that they’re drawing dead and they’re folding their hand before they shove more money into a losing pot

I believe that program stability matters with transfers.

Rice was looking at his 3rd OC, 2nd WR Coach & 3rd offensive system since he signed.

A stat they put up during the Rose Bowl is that since KW has been at Utah, CU leads the Pac-12 in different HCs with 6 during KW's tenure.

If CU can stabilize, that by itself will improve our portal situation. Guys who play here will at least feel part of something.

I hope KD can do it. I understand why RG was looking for someone who would stick for a long time.
Well, obviously. How many of Karl Dorrell’s recruits are likely to leave if Dorrell is still HC? Probably very few, unless they’ve been recruited over, but the real question is, how many KD recruits are we going to care about leaving? It’s, once again, why I said the other day in the rock bottom thread that this program isn’t dead, it just made a very very very bad hire at HC.

Were BR and Lewis roommates, were Rice's dad and KD buddies way back when?? As the World Turns.

The only hope I can see, is if CU somehow gets the full support of the HS coaches and starts taking all the top Colorado kids they can (reference Matt the private trainer, saying CU made little to no effort to keep the top linemen this last round). Let's see Polis skydive in to some big HS games. Gold tights, Black chute; get the excitement going.

Yes, CU was a doormat. But to say CU is declining is just flat mob mentality group think. KD is building a better program than MacIntyre built. KD is not building a better program than what MT was building and that is why KD is so hated.

MT gave us hope and KD is a disappointment following MT. KD is a better coach than Hawkins, Embree and MacIntyre. I’m not saying KD is going to build CU i to a winner, just that he isn’t a program wrecker at an already wrecked program.
Despite your continued hate of MM, there is nothing so far that suggests Karl Dorrell is a better coach in todays CFB than Mike MacIntyre.

Trying to build? Looks as though Karl Dorrell is trying to kill Colorado football. Rice and Gonzo made the right choice…this program is in a free fall and I don’t blame them one bit for bailing.

Were BR and Lewis roommates, were Rice's dad and KD buddies way back when?? As the World Turns.

The only hope I can see, is if CU somehow gets the full support of the HS coaches and starts taking all the top Colorado kids they can (reference Matt the private trainer, saying CU made little to no effort to keep the top linemen this last round). Let's see Polis skydive in to some big HS games. Gold tights, Black chute; get the excitement going.
Polis? Huh? I'd settle for KD being AT big high school games. He needs to pull a page from the Boyle playbook. Look at it this way-Thunderridge (currently #1 in 5A) is playing Chaparral (currently #4) at home on February 8th. MBB plays Utah at home the following Saturday. You don't think Tad Boyle or one of his assistants will be at that game? I'm working East boys (#6 in 5A) against South (2nd in DPS and Vince Valdez is a hell of a coach) on the 18th of this month. Same question there-you don't think Tad or one of the MBB assistants will be at that game?

Sucks to lose these good football players through the portal.

There is a silver lining, though. When Karl Dorrell gets fired soon, it used to be that potential replacements would look at the roster and prior recruiting to assess the rebuilding timeframe. While I’m sure that will still be part of the math, the transfer portal would allow a new hire to retool the roster much more quickly. Mel Tucker did exactly that when he got to Michigan State.

Anyway, just a small dose of positivity to begin the new year.

12 games to go, folks.

Meanwhile, Utah drops 35 on Ohio State in the first half. A Dorrell coached team doesn't score 35 pts vs OSU in five games combined. I don't blame any of these talented players for going somewhere to better themselves and Hage an enhanced college experience.
There is good news... Dorrell has been so lethargic, rock bottom is in sight. By 2023 CU will be so irrelevant, the administration doesn't flinch with bringing in a new AD, staff and HC

The only thing Dorrell is building is a bigger bank account.

I don’t know what else to call it after watching last year and then witness losing talent and not replacing it with better talent. Do you really think we are simply keeping the 5-7 status quo at the moment? I just don’t see that.

Outside of that, I agree with almost everything you say here except placing KD above MM. MM was well respected as defensive coach (and still is), and he had turned around SJSU. One cannot say the same for KD. MM was a totally goof, but he was relatable. KD has the personality of a chalkboard, and I think that’s why (in part) you’re seeing some of our better talent jump ship. Kids don’t care how great of a human being you are if they don’t feel like you’re inspiring and affecting positive change. Combine a rapidly changing CFB landscape and AD that doesn’t seem to want to change with it, and I think you have a declining program.

I’m not placing this all in KD by any means, I think the vast majority of the blame falls on CU admin and AD, it’s just that KD doesn’t seem to have the chops to even start to overcome those obstacles, and that is going to be the real problem at the end of the day IMO.

I’m not placing this all in KD by any means, I think the vast majority of the blame falls on CU admin and AD, it’s just that KD doesn’t seem to have the chops to even start to overcome those obstacles, and that is going to be the real problem at the end of the day IMO.

I think we have found some common ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back