What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you wouldn't be Lincoln Riley because he sucks along with literally every other coach that isn't Nick Saban

Even NFL free agency have rules. Students shouldnt complain when schools also start saying it is a business and pull scholarships from players after 1 semester of school. Well they do that already in the SEC. But CU could adopt that policy. It is a business.

Even NFL free agency have rules. Students shouldnt complain when schools also start saying it is a business and pull scholarships from players after 1 semester of school. Well they do that already in the SEC. But CU could adopt that policy. It is a business.

dumbfounded-gif-11.gif

Yeah I’m not convinced it had much to do with NIL. He’s not getting drafted with another season like 2021, so he has to go somewhere he knows that’s unlikely to happen, even if it’s not an elite program.
I disagree at least somewhat. Scouts aren’t stupid. They know what the deal is at CU. They look at measurables and potential.

Pretty sad to see folks blaming the players who are transferring, the transfer rules, and NIL (all of which finally give the players some power) instead of the real problem, which is the absolute ****ing ****show that is the CU football program. If CU wasn't so ****ing bad, and run by ****ing clueless coaches and ****ing negligent administration, we'd likely not be losing our best players.
While you’re correct regarding CU, NIL and the transfer portal is a huge problem.

While you’re correct regarding CU, NIL and the transfer portal is a huge problem.
Absolutely. HUGE problem, especially when all of this is happening piecemeal, ad hoc. There is no coherent strategy for a set of rules, much less any limiting rules in place. Most of the rules that do exist are so arcane as to be counter productive at this point. And any rules that make sense aren’t enforced, at all. (Is ASU going to suffer any punishment from obvious recruiting violations they committed right out in public?).

How can a “competitive league” operate competitively without addressing the issue of parity of money spent (or “improper contact/offers” even) between the teams in any way? This is simply a rich-get-richer, laissez-faire, no-holds-barred system at this point. I can barely watch any of the games anymore. I don’t care to see Alabama’s latest super-trove of NFL players overwhelm everyone. How is this good for anyone but Alabama and a few others? Simply unsustainable and unwatchable.

Last edited:
Absolutely. HUGE problem, especially when all of this is happening piecemeal, ad hoc. There is no coherent strategy for a set of rules, much less any limiting rules in place. Most of the rules that do exist are so arcane as to be counter productive at this point. And any rules that make sense aren’t enforced, at all. (Is ASU going to suffer any punishment from obvious recruiting violations they committed right out in public?).

How can a “competitive league” operate competitively without addressing the issue of parity of money spent (or “improper contact/offers” even) between the teams in any way? This is simply a rich-get-richer, laissez-faire, no-holds-barred system at this point. I can barely watch any of the games anymore. I don’t care to see Alabama’s latest super-trove of NFL players overwhelm everyone. How is this good for anyone but Alabama and a few others? Simply unsustainable and unwatchable.
Yep. There's good reason why all the pro leagues have revenue sharing and the draft. Parity works. It doesn't need to be 100% equal. That's probably not even desirable. But there has to be a chance to beat those dynasty teams everyone either loves or hates.

Chev force fed a player until he broke everything in 2018 (Viska). His OC philosophy revolved completely around getting the ball to your playmakers. This is a KD problem and will be his undoing if he doesn’t change that philosophy in 2021.

I’m impressed with how Dorrell has built part of his staff, especially defense. None of that matters though because he is too hard headed to change his offensive and recruiting philosophies. Frustrating
Watching great offensive teams and playcallers, it’s obvious that what they do first and foremost is get the ball into the hands of their best players, no matter how that might happen. They scheme it that way and more often than not it’s successful. I know it’s been discussed, but it’s always just felt like Dorrell/Chev never cared to do that, and would rather just run their offense and have the QB find the open guy. It’s an NFL playcalling mindset, so shouldn’t be surprised, but let’s hope Sanford can change that mentality a little. Although, I’m not even sure who our best playmakers are anymore on offense

Watching great offensive teams and playcallers, it’s obvious that what they do first and foremost is get the ball into the hands of their best players, no matter how that might happen. They scheme it that way and more often than not it’s successful. I know it’s been discussed, but it’s always just felt like Dorrell/Chev never cared to do that, and would rather just run their offense and have the QB find the open guy. It’s an NFL playcalling mindset, so shouldn’t be surprised, but let’s hope Sanford can change that mentality a little. Although, I’m not even sure who our best playmakers are anymore on offense
Well, if you have a bunch of low to mid 3* RBs and WRs, then I guess their approach works.

Holy ****, KD IS recruiting to match his offensive system!

Yep. There's good reason why all the pro leagues have revenue sharing and the draft. Parity works. It doesn't need to be 100% equal. That's probably not even desirable. But there has to be a chance to beat those dynasty teams everyone either loves or hates.
It’s really about the illusion of parity rather than actual parity that matters. When you really look at AFC/NFC championship games and Super Bowls, the last 20 years have been dominated by Pats, Colts and Broncos with Brady and Manning, and now the Chiefs with Mahomes on the AFC side with a few others thrown in. The NFC is a bit more random, but has mostly been Seahawks, Packers, 49ers and Bucs.

Basically, there are really only 3-5 teams who have a shot at winning the SB each year, in all likelihood, but there is an illusion each preseason that 10-15 teams are capable of it.

That’s what CFB needs. Even if the same 2-4 programs are going to continue winning the NC every year, there has to be an illusion that the second tier programs can pull an upset and compete for it as well.

I don't fault players for transferring, I do respect the ones that don't like the RB from Alabama that waited several years for the opportunity to shine. Maybe he stayed out of loyalty, coaching or riding the pine at Alabama was worth more individually to be a part of something bigger than self.

My problem with the Chev approach was that it was so simplistic, like playing checkers when everyone else was playing chess. Everyone in the stadium knew what he was going to do, to the point where defenders were calling it out before we did it. In the passing game, the route combinations were practically sand-lot in complexity and integration. Watching just a few minutes of bowl games this year was so depressing, seeing interesting route combinations and creative ways to manufacture an open receiver by making space then filling it. How can our offense NOT have open receivers on crossing routes? That seems uncanny, frankly.

I disagree with impugning the "NFL playcalling mindset," to an extent. Every NFL team runs complex, intricate route systems, based on coverage and shifts (lot's of shifts), and combinations that have been shown to work against man or zone interchangeably. We NEED that here. We need the subtleties of a complex passing offense, or we should just go back to running the option. Sure, you can't run the same NFL systems in college, but many of the bowl teams I watched seemed to have found a very successful application of NFL route philosophies within RPO college systems. You don't need to install the whole enchilada, but we need to have to have some of it.

That’s what CFB needs. Even if the same 2-4 programs are going to continue winning the NC every year, there has to be an illusion that the second tier programs can pull an upset and compete for it as well.
The real reason it works in the no fun league is because the "second tier" programs do actually pull upsets and win it all - it's not an "illusion." 3 of the last 10 SBs have been won by the giants, ravens and eagles.

My problem with the Chev approach was that it was so simplistic, like playing checkers when everyone else was playing chess. Everyone in the stadium knew what he was going to do, to the point where defenders were calling it out before we did it. In the passing game, the route combinations were practically sand-lot in complexity and integration. Watching just a few minutes of bowl games this year was so depressing, seeing interesting route combinations and creative ways to manufacture an open receiver by making space then filling it. How can our offense NOT have open receivers on crossing routes? That seems uncanny, frankly.

I disagree with impugning the "NFL playcalling mindset," to an extent. Every NFL team runs complex, intricate route systems, based on coverage and shifts (lot's of shifts), and combinations that have been shown to work against man or zone interchangeably. We NEED that here. We need the subtleties of a complex passing offense, or we should just go back to running the option. Sure, you can't run the same NFL systems in college, but many of the bowl teams I watched seemed to have found a very successful application of NFL route philosophies within RPO college systems. You don't need to install the whole enchilada, but we have to have some of it.
I’m not talking about the NFL style as it pertains to scheme, route combinations, etc. I’m talking about how most NFL offenses are scheme first and they fit players into it. The talent discrepancy is less stark in the NFL, so for most spots, you can plug and play with a good scheme.

In college, offensive design and playcalling has to be more about the individual players than fitting whoever into a scheme.

In 2018, Chev had this offense humming, 5-0 to start the season and ranked in the top 25, in large part because he force fed Viska who was one of the best players on the field regardless of who we played. It turned out to be too much workload for him, he ultimately got hurt and the offense went to ****. That’s what happens in college when you only have one guy like that. Regardless, that’s how CFB playcalling should be done; deliberately getting your best players the ball.

It’s really about the illusion of parity rather than actual parity that matters. When you really look at AFC/NFC championship games and Super Bowls, the last 20 years have been dominated by Pats, Colts and Broncos with Brady and Manning, and now the Chiefs with Mahomes on the AFC side with a few others thrown in. The NFC is a bit more random, but has mostly been Seahawks, Packers, 49ers and Bucs.

Basically, there are really only 3-5 teams who have a shot at winning the SB each year, in all likelihood, but there is an illusion each preseason that 10-15 teams are capable of it.

I think we need serious regulation with teeth. (Not sure we'll ever get it.) You look back to the Big 8 years, and there were reasons why teams like Nebraska and Oklahoma were perennial powers. They had created "programs" and systems that supported their ongoing on-field success: I recall that Nebraska would have local townships create academic scholarships for football players so they would not count against the overall football scholarship limits, allowing them to stack 3-deep rows of massive corn-fed linemen for years as they got bigger and bigger.

The problem now is that the "gaming" the system is--apparently--just fine, part of the game, and all about money. If you have money, you can win. If not, well, you get to be fodder for Saturday TV ratings if you are lucky.

The real reason it works in the no fun league is because the "second tier" programs do actually pull upsets and win it all - it's not an "illusion." 3 of the last 10 SBs have been won by the giants, ravens and eagles.
Yes, every now and then a few second tier teams catch fire, so you’re right, it does happen a bit more.

I think the NBA is a more apt comparison to what’s going on in college football. Although the NBA does seem to be gaining a bit more parity.

Fair.

And I think it would match up if the NFL was set up that way. But we're talking about college, where there isn't even a profit motive behind it. It's a bunch of non-profit educational institutions which sponsor sports.

It's the media companies trying to drive this into a Premier League situation and I fail to see how that works for most "owners" or for the fans of any program outside the ones that choose to sell out.

As I've mentioned before, increased revenue has to somehow benefit ownership. Out-competing the NFL for the public's sports entertainment dollar is not going to make anyone in ownership rich. It's not aligned with their mission. Being able to pay coaches and players more doesn't move the needle on a university mission. Winning and the status which comes from the resources matters, but that goes away if they're in a new situation where a once-dominant program is rarely seeing 10 wins because their whole schedule is against similar programs.

I get the owners of Premier League franchises being profit motivated. I get a globally loved sport having fans with a huge appetite for it from a desire to see all-star rosters compete at the super elite level down to local clubs that are community institutions. Those things work together. But college football is "local clubs that are community institutions" with the NFL as the elite already. No college team can ever become among the elite clubs.

In the end, this is like expecting people who might be fans of a local Triple A baseball team to drop down to Double A and support some other town's Triple A team while also staying as a MLB fan.

Beyond that, NCAA members aren't just football sponsors. They're also sponsoring a much greater number of athletes and events in other sports and have legal obligations to treat them equitably in addition to an institutional mandate to do so.

So:

- not elite level of the sport
- not a for-profit business
- not just football for organization's sports offerings & a small part of the mission

The only way this parallel works is if you split off the football programs from the actual universities, make booster groups ownership groups, and pay a royalty to the universities as these become NFL tier 2 franchises. And that's not what this is.

We've gone down a horrible path that lost sight of mission with no upside endgame, just a short-term money grab as boosters & schools scramble in fear of being left behind.
The non-profit angle is why I think this will eventually require congressional oversight. I cannot imagine how these institutions maintain their non-profit status with the millions of dollars being thrown around. It will catch up to them at some point and hard questions will be asked about why they should enjoy the legal benefits of being attached to educational institutions of higher learning. I think at that point they will either need to separate completely thereby becoming a semi-pro league (NBA D-League) or accept some form of institutional oversight that levels the playing field a bit.

The non-profit angle is why I think this will eventually require congressional oversight. I cannot imagine how these institutions maintain their non-profit status with the millions of dollars being thrown around. It will catch up to them at some point and hard questions will be asked about why they should enjoy the legal benefits of being attached to educational institutions of higher learning. I think at that point they will either need to separate completely thereby becoming a semi-pro league (NBA D-League) or accept some form of institutional oversight that levels the playing field a bit.
I'm old enough to remember when universities wanted a strong NCAA governing body to make sure college sports didn't become nothing but buying players.

I don't think this current reality of football factory free-for-all is long-term reality.

The big upcoming NCAA ruling will be on whether it's a violation for a university or its boosters to orchestrate NIL opportunities as a recruiting or portal incentive. A big test will be the UT fund to pay every offensive lineman - isn't NIL supposed to be an individual thing and not payday tied to a school?

Where we diverge is here:
But we're talking about college, where there isn't even a profit motive behind it. It's a bunch of non-profit educational institutions which sponsor sports.

It's the media companies trying to drive this into a Premier League situation and I fail to see how that works for most "owners" or for the fans of any program outside the ones that choose to sell out.
Sonny Vaccaro was the advertising executive at Nike who signed Michael Jordan to his first shoe sponsership. He also worked for Adidas and Rebok. His nickname? "The sneaker pimp."

Here's the exchange during a formal meeting /hearing of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate athletics:

Vaccaro: “I’m not hiding. We want to put our materials on the bodies of your athletes, and the best way to do that is buy your school. Or buy your coach.”

Bryce Jordan, the president emeritus of Penn State: “Why should a university be an advertising medium for your industry?”

Vaccaro: “They shouldn’t, sir. You sold your souls, and you’re going to continue selling them. You can be very moral and righteous in asking me that question, sir, but there’s not one of you in this room that’s going to turn down any of our money. You’re going to take it. I can only offer it.”

That exchange happened over 20 years ago.

I don't think anything has fundamentally changed.

Even Phil Distephano would **** a brick and squeel like a monkey if the P5 money were under serious threat to go away - he'd tell the academic and admissions folks to get with the program and stfu if that gravy train was under serious threat.

Ultimately were in a weird path dependent place where I'm not sure there's a stable equilibrium we can get to from here.

Absent a collective bargaining agreement (which really is the only way out that I see) that includes multi - year contracts with players, and maybe, but not necessarily, collective NIL agreements, I see an expanded playoff leading to about 10 teams that basically make the playoff every year, another 5-10 that sometimes do, and maybe there's a tiny bit of churn in those 5-10.

And outside of that group of programs, it'll be mountain west levels of revenue, competitiveness, TV and stadium viewership.

And while the "all for one and one for all" attitude of some conferences is nice and all, that will change as soon as USC and Oregon say "hey guys, give us more of the money or we, and most of the money, will leave."

It would be kind of funny if a player's union and collective bargaining is what fixes college football though. Fighting the initial formation of a player's union a few years ago was a ultimately the NCAA shooting itself in the dick.

I'm old enough to remember when universities wanted a strong NCAA governing body to make sure college sports didn't become nothing but buying players.

I don't think this current reality of football factory free-for-all is long-term reality.

The big upcoming NCAA ruling will be on whether it's a violation for a university or its boosters to orchestrate NIL opportunities as a recruiting or portal incentive. A big test will be the UT fund to pay every offensive lineman - isn't NIL supposed to be an individual thing and not payday tied to a school?
Sad to think that the spirit of the rule is so these kids could sell their autographs, not for Universities to lobby local rich fans to give a 5* QB a 7 figure “endorsement deal” before they even step foot on campus.

Yeah. But good luck enforcing that.

Yeah, parity in the NFL means those same teams can lose 6 games a year and still win the Super Bowl. That also sucks.

Sad to think that the spirit of the rule is so these kids could sell their autographs, not for Universities to lobby local rich fans to give a 5* QB a 7 figure “endorsement deal” before they even step foot on campus.
The spirit of the rule is that players get to earn money from commercial interests instead of the schools footing the bill for them as employees.

I’ve never been around anyone that does that and I am friends with a lot of soccer people haha. My high school soccer coach did correct us on terms but he was also from the UK so

Those people aren't Soccer Guys... those people are dicks
It’s cool. I’m sure they feel the same way when we’re watching a football game and I’m like, “that’s a read option, not an RPO dumbass!” #footballguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back