What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or being so out of touch that he didn’t know that many key players were unhappy to the point of leaving. Or then thinking 1 interview is the solution.

Definitely our problem. Couldn’t be Karl
This has been stated before in this thread, but just adding exit interviews doesn’t do jack ****.

If you don’t have a pulse on the team psyche most of the time - you’re ****ed.

I’ve never heard of a coach not having a sit down with all key players before the Xmas break. It’s 101. How is that out of context?
It’s taken out of context because the tweet makes it sound like Dorrell just realized he made a mistake and was oblivious, when he actually talked about this a while ago and specifically addressed it and how ****ed the NCAA recruiting calendar is and how other programs have an issue with it as well.

This was Howell’s take on 247

I get why Dorrell’s comment got so much attention, because of how he worded it, saying he should have done it another way. But, he basically said the same thing about a month ago when he and Rick George met with the media. And, while it’s easy to pile on Dorrell for that comment, it’s really an industry issue and an NCAA calendar issue, which Dorrell told us last month is being discussed nationally. This was his lengthy comment a month ago:

“As coaches, particularly head coaches, they don’t get a chance to go out (recruiting) very often. What I did was, as soon as our season ended in Utah I was already on the road that Sunday night, as we go see some of our commits, just because I haven’t had the opportunity to be out in their homes and doing those things. And in that window of time, when the coaching staff goes out, that should be a period of time of kind of having meetings with your players, doing your evaluation and your end of season meetings with your players and having those discussions about where we see them in terms of an agenda of work that they need to do to get themselves to be better next year. Also to get a chance to talk about their happiness, or concerns or whatever that may happen. In those meetings, they can voice those opinions with their coach. But, when the whole coaching staff is out recruiting, which is the model everybody does now, that leaves them kind of in that, ‘Well, if I didn’t finish the season so good, should I be thinking about going somewhere else?’ And there’s no discussion. That’s where you saw three or four of those things happen of those decisions that were made when we were all out on the road and we find out from our compliance people that so-and-so went to the portal. You try to call them and ask what’s happening, but a lot of the time when it gets to that point, the decision has been made. What the NCAA is trying to talk about is maybe the first week after the season is to have a dead period of time where you can't go out recruiting, so that you can kind of tie up loose ends with your football team before you go out recruiting. I think that's been a window of time that some of those decisions are being made and you’re not around. That’s what makes it hard that you’re trying to catch up to the situation and it’s already too late.”

So he is acknowledging that he probably would have done things a bit differently in hindsight, but the calendar isn’t set up well and the expectation has always been for coaches to immediately hit the road for recruiting following the season. So, no, doing these exit interviews right after the season ends has never been the expectation, nor is it “101” like everyone here likes to claim.

I also find it highly ironic that recruiting is everyone’s biggest problem with Dorrell, yet everyone is now piling on for him… wait for it… recruiting!

End of the day, people are just finding things to bitch about and that Tweet was just an out of context gas can being thrown on the fire. None of the 6 starters transferred during the time he was out recruiting, and none of them would have stayed had Dorrell conducted an exit interview with them first. As I said the other day, some of the complaining here has jumped the shark.

It’s taken out of context because the tweet makes it sound like Dorrell just realized he made a mistake and was oblivious, when he actually talked about this a while ago and specifically addressed it and how ****ed the NCAA recruiting calendar is and how other programs have an issue with it as well.

So he is acknowledging that he probably would have done things a bit differently in hindsight, but the calendar isn’t set up well and the expectation has always been for coaches to immediately hit the road for recruiting following the season. So, no, doing these exit interviews right after the season ends has never been the expectation, nor is it “101” like everyone here likes to claim.

I also find it highly ironic that recruiting is everyone’s biggest problem with Dorrell, yet everyone is now piling on for him… wait for it… recruiting!

End of the day, people are just finding things to bitch about and that Tweet was just an out of context gas can being thrown on the fire. None of the 6 starters transferred during the time he was out recruiting, and none of them would have stayed had Dorrell conducted an exit interview with them first. As I said the other day, some of the complaining here has jumped the shark.
Recruiting involves your current roster as well as those you’d like to be on your roster. That’s the new landscape. You know that.

Exit interviews to get someone to stay are a Hail Mary. That work should’ve happened every day in the 2 years he’s been in charge of this program. Recruiting for a couple days isn’t the problem here, Dorrell’s poor leadership is. Trying to frame it as “lose players and no interviews” or “recruit” is an incredibly weak show from Dorrell and the ever hopeful Howell

I’d feel better about it if he just simply admitted it was a mistake instead of trying to use the recruiting calendar as some kind of excuse. Plus, as has been pointed out, the time for those kinds of discussions is long before the end of the season. That should be an ongoing thing.
It’s water under the bridge at this point, as far as I’m concerned. Just do a better job going forward.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt in regard to the specifics of end of season, timing, recruiting calendar, etc.

My point, and others', is that he said he should have sat down and talked to some guys at the end of the season. No! That doesn't fix the real problem.

He needs to be sitting down and talking to guys before, during, and after the season. IF he had been doing the first two, he could have adjusted his schedule as necessary (and he may not have even had to).

The big issue I see is that his proposed solution, prioritize talking to guys after the season, doesn't actually fix the core problem.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt in regard to the specifics of end of season, timing, recruiting calendar, etc.

My point, and others', is that he said he should have sat down and talked to some guys at the end of the season. No! That doesn't fix the real problem.

He needs to be sitting down and talking to guys before, during, and after the season. IF he had been doing the first two, he could have adjusted his schedule as necessary (and he may not have even had to).

The big issue I see is that his proposed solution, prioritize talking to guys after the season, doesn't actually fix the core problem.
I liken it to a one on one meeting with your manager. Now, I freely admit I HATE doing these, but if done right, they can be an effective way to get feedback from employees. It’s a way to make sure communication is happening. The trick is to make sure both sides understand and embrace the dynamic.

While I agree and believe the HC is ultimately accountable for everything, I imagine most programs lean on their position coaches to have a pulse on this stuff throughout the season and then report to the HC. Based on how dysfunctional, non communicative and contentious we are finding out the staff was last year, it doesn't surprise me that this sort of thing wasn't happening.

I've been critical of Dorrell for two years now. I guess I have reached a point where 2020 was a fun little season that didn't really count for anything, and then last year was "year one" for Dorrell where he took a 5-7ish roster and went 4-8 with a **** show of a staff situation that he was mostly stuck with (although hiring Rod was unforgiveable).

Since 2021 season has ended, he's completely revamped the staff with some really good assistants, pushed a lot of dead weight off the team, and he's brought in the second best recruiting class, on paper, CU has had in the last 8-10 years. The loss of 6 starters sucks, but is not unique to CU and probably something that is going to be close to the norm at most programs going forward.

While I agree and believe the HC is ultimately accountable for everything, I imagine most programs lean on their position coaches to have a pulse on this stuff throughout the season and then report to the HC. Based on how dysfunctional, non communicative and contentious we are finding out the staff was last year, it doesn't surprise me that this sort of thing wasn't happening.

I've been critical of Dorrell for two years now. I guess I have reached a point where 2020 was a fun little season that didn't really count for anything, and then last year was "year one" for Dorrell where he took a 5-7ish roster and went 4-8 with a **** show of a staff situation that he was mostly stuck with (although hiring Rod was unforgiveable).

Since 2021 season has ended, he's completely revamped the staff with some really good assistants, pushed a lot of dead weight off the team, and he's brought in the second best recruiting class, on paper, CU has had in the last 8-10 years. The loss of 6 starters sucks, but is not unique to CU and probably something that is going to be close to the norm at most programs going forward.
You're wearing some serious black and gold tinted glasses there my friend.

You're right in that the HC needs to lean on assistants to do a lot of this, and he had some very poor ACs. But... ACs aren't the only staff assistants he has that can/should be doing that sort of thing as well.

In fact, I think there's actually a staff position under which that sort of responsibility should fall. That person needs to be a well qualified professional that's good at building relationships among the players, be someone with the skill and experience to recognize when problems are developing on the team, and be someone in whom the head coach has a great deal of confidence and trust.

Now let me check my notes, did KD hire that position or was it someone that PD or RG forced on him? Nope, KD hired them. Ok, who did he hire for that important role?

Checks notes...

Aw ****.

If you were to rank the level of concern that outside observers had about the staff hires that KD himself made, would anyone be surprised that a bunch of the problems we're discussing trace to the two names highest on that list?

I’m with Yak here on the current take. Starting to look like old men shouting at clouds looking to meltdown bash KD with anything they can. Why? So 2 years from now you can say “see KD blows, been saying it for years”

We all get it KD sucks but guess what we are stuck with him until 2023 minimum unless one of you guys has $20m lying around. Doesn’t bother me in fire Dorrell thread but some posters bashing KD in every thread on the board. You made your point. Back transfers in th Transfer Portal thread…

I’m with Yak here on the current take. Starting to look like old men shouting at clouds looking to meltdown bash KD with anything they can. Why? So 2 years from now you can say “see KD blows, been saying it for years”

We all get it KD sucks but guess what we are stuck with him until 2023 minimum unless one of you guys has $20m lying around. Doesn’t bother me in fire Dorrell thread but some posters bashing KD in every thread on the board. You made your point. Back transfers in th Transfer Portal thread…
I guess you’re new here (duh, yeah we’re here to complain) and you can’t add. Great combo.

Come on. How many Millions is he getting paid to have a basic understanding of the key issues surrounding recruiting (which includes communication with your current players) who are now in year to year agreements?

I’d expect Dave Logan to innately get this point. Hello, Karl, this isn’t the Dolphins. Nobody is barking at clouds to expect basic management skills.

I’m ok with the admission, actually. Possibly a weird tangent to go on here: but I’ll never criticize somebody who openly admits to making a mistake.

not a weird tangent, i don’t think this comment should be overlooked — a fundamental issue with our society is that leaders won’t admit to mistakes or take accountability — those that do should be shown respect (within reason)

I'd think it would be prudent to know the status of each player before recruiting so I'd be informed as to which positions I needed to fill and with how many.
I realize the portal and transfer rules have created a scenario of having to wait on the players to make decisions in turn this has created a problem for the HS players because now they're relying on the decisions of current players on a roster.

A position coach was Chev, and he was a cancer. Some of the other position coaches were not much better, and they are gone as well. Today in the present moment, things are better than they have been in the last two years. Last minute hire, and COVID... Things were never on HCKD's side. I think the ship is upright now, and we will see going forward if it sails straight.

Gonzo the only one for whom we should have pulled all the stops. Our D was ok and he was an improving leader that partly wanted to stay.
A 3 hour postseason meeting with Winston Churchill wouldn’t get any offensive player already wavering to return after last season’s ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back