What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

Lanning would certainly make sense for A&M and it sounds like wants to get back in the SEC but he has a $20 million buyout. A&M can come up with the money but would they want to spend another $20 million on top of the ~$75 million they're gonna pay Jimbo to go away? That's the hesitation I'd have with them going after Lanning.

Prime is worth $100m contract to CU, but he has not proven to be worth that much to a program like aTm. If he gets CU to where we all believe he can and will next year, that will no longer be the case and any upper half SEC job will be a major threat. It will be at that point that he will have to decide if he enjoys running his own show and having full control at Colorado enough to stay here.

JSU asked CP to give him 3 years and that's what CP did. I don't believe he's going to bail on RG after one.

Of course he can win at CU, it just takes 3-4 years or even longer, instead of 1-2 years in our dream.

There is no 3-4 years for aTm to wait. With the talent they have, a proven HC can win immediately.
I was always a, THREE years to win guy minimum, but Prime is such a good salesman and leader that I felt we could chop off a few months here, or a whole year there, but you just cannot do it. Now, if he tears it up in the Portal, and if he tweaks the assistants and that speeds things up, then maybe 2 years, and that is likely only possible with a healthy and more experienced Shedeur and a solid OL.

aTm is freaking loaded with talent right now, but might not have a good team culture and does not have the best QB in the SEC, but Chris Petersen could have them winning 10 games next year. I agree that a really really solid coach could win there right away if a good staff could be assembled around them.

Prime is worth $100m contract to CU, but he has not proven to be worth that much to a program like aTm. If he gets CU to where we all believe he can and will next year, that will no longer be the case and any upper half SEC job will be a major threat. It will be at that point that he will have to decide if he enjoys running his own show and having full control at Colorado enough to stay here.

JSU asked CP to give him 3 years and that's what CP did. I don't believe he's going to bail on RG after one.
While I don't agree, i will say I like the first statement. He's worth XnX to CU. I remember having these conversations with JSU and OF was saying Prime is worth this to JSU and he's not gonna be worth that to those PWI folks. Well, the administration fumbled and yes, he's possibly now worth 10x to the PWI folks.

As Bloom said. Be creative and get it done. Let's make sure Prime retires in Boulder but this negative talk is not good. It can go south just as fast as it went north. If some here don't think he's good, he can go somewhere they think he's good. Let's appreciate this. It's not normal. I've reviewed the grades. No one giving you the jumps Prime has given you elsewhere. Plus, this is the portal era, teams like CU are more likely to lose talent than gain it but under Prime, it's mainly gains.

Thinking outside the box is definitely what we need. Treat Prime for why he is. He’s a unicorn. He’s not just a head football coach. Give him shares in the merchandising, marketing, etc. and treat him as the premier ambassador for CU. Let him work not just with athletics but with the entire university to make it the premier destination for African-American young people. Build partnerships back to the HCBU’s through both academics and athletics. It seems to me there’s a lot of room here to move in if the administration treats Prime as a partner rather than an employee.

While I don't agree, i will say I like the first statement. He's worth XnX to CU. I remember having these conversations with JSU and OF was saying Prime is worth this to JSU and he's not gonna be worth that to those PWI folks. Well, the administration fumbled and yes, he's possibly now worth 10x to the PWI folks.

As Bloom said. Be creative and get it done. Let's make sure Prime retires in Boulder but this negative talk is not good. It can go south just as fast as it went north. If some here don't think he's good, he can go somewhere they think he's good. Let's appreciate this. It's not normal. I've reviewed the grades. No one giving you the jumps Prime has given you elsewhere. Plus, this is the portal era, teams like CU are more likely to lose talent than gain it but under Prime, it's mainly gains.
I have been following your commentary about this as of late, and I totally get where you're coming from. That being said, and don't take these questions as me disagreeing with you, it is simply a counter point; CP came in and said he was going to WIN. His words. I believe there is a silent majority that will continue to back him for years, regardless of the results, but he is the one that called for the national attention to watch what he was going to do in Boulder. He started incredibly hot and received an unparalleled spotlight in return. Since then, he has gone 1-6, and lost the last 4 in a row. Some of those losses being in unexplainable fashion. With someone that has the pedigree of Prime, (NFL HOF and MLB) how does it make sense that CP would just up and leave when being criticized in that context?

While CU was the worst FBS program in the country, we still do have a very proud history and lofty desires. Part of being a fan of big time football is being able to express your opinion....that happens everywhere.

I was always a, THREE years to win guy minimum, but Prime is such a good salesman and leader that I felt we could chop off a few months here, or a whole year there, but you just cannot do it. Now, if he tears it up in the Portal, and if he tweaks the assistants and that speeds things up, then maybe 2 years, and that is likely only possible with a healthy and more experienced Shedeur and a solid OL.

aTm is freaking loaded with talent right now, but might not have a good team culture and does not have the best QB in the SEC, but Chris Petersen could have them winning 10 games next year. I agree that a really really solid coach could win there right away if a good staff could be assembled around them.
Their main problem is OL, similar to us. I think Conner Weigman can be solid for them. Their front 7 D is very good.

They are not as bad as people thought. A proven coach who can attract some OL talents will do wonder for them.

But, it's SEC west. You can be freaking good and not cracking the top 3 there. It's just a hard job to win, CP can not change that either.

I have been following your commentary about this as of late, and I totally get where you're coming from. That being said, and don't take these questions as me disagreeing with you, it is simply a counter point; CP came in and said he was going to WIN. His words. I believe there is a silent majority that will continue to back him for years, regardless of the results, but he is the one that called for the national attention to watch what he was going to do in Boulder. He started incredibly hot and received an unparalleled spotlight in return. Since then, he has gone 1-6, and lost the last 4 in a row. Some of those losses being in unexplainable fashion. With someone that has the pedigree of Prime, (NFL HOF and MLB) how does it make sense that CP would just up and leave when being criticized in that context?

While CU was the worst FBS program in the country, we still do have a very proud history and lofty desires. Part of being a fan of big time football is being able to express your opinion....that happens everywhere.
We both agree with the bolded. 100%

Prime is a Unicorn
Prime has done something that nobody else can do
Prime will fix anything that he feels is wrong or holding him back from winning
I think Prime is probably more committed to Colorado than he was the first 6-months on the job, because failure is not an option for him
There are tough choices to be made by everyone, Prime and his staff and players, Colorado on funding new contracts and partnerships as well as Stadium and facility improvements, and NIL Collectives that need more money and better spokespeople.
I will say one thing that HAS happened, and that is that the FANS are in the stands and supporting this team, so anything negative or wobbly is based on the FANS saying, let's go, let's do what you said we would do, we are here for you.

well worded perspective

I feel like I do. It seems we now think Prime is trash. He has issues as a GameDay coach in certain situations but everything is magnified when you are shooting above your weight class.
Don't mind some of this BS talk. 99.9% of Buff fans thought, and still think, Prime coming here was a godsend.

Two things:
  1. There is a difference between some people pointing out some of the mistakes/concerns/learning opportunities this staff has week to week and thinking Prime is trash. Prime himself has said multiple times himself life is about learning from mistakes and trying to get better everyday. A lot of talk on here is passionate fans seeing issues and hoping Prime sees them and can correct them.
  2. You'll notice some of the few negative posters are guys that consistently overreact both ways to the extreme. Most of these guys only show up when things are really good or things are trending poorly. Every fan base has these type of mouth breathers. Don't let them discourage you on the rest of the fan base and force you to generalize the rest of it, as I'm sure you don't want anyone to lump you in with a group you may not share the same views as. You're a good new Buff fan, I don't want to see you discouraged by a few overreacting posters.

We both agree with the bolded. 100%
Fair enough. But the rest is what I'm interested in, because I think you know more than most about CP and his circle. So I will say it a different way. I am all in on CP, and will be for a looooong time. That doesn't mean he is above criticism though, and I think you would agree with that? CP has his fingers in everything that is CU Football, as he should. It isn't the fans job to control the narrative, it is the job of the program to do that. One critique I have is that I don't think the program has done a good job controlling the narrative during this down stretch.

I am trying to make sense of someone like CP up and leaving because fans are getting negative....

The idea that Prime would leave because CU fans aren't grateful or something is absurd, especially when you consider that he would theoretically be leaving for a program like Texas A&M (or anywhere in the SEC).

I, along with others, believed Prime when he said he was going to win now, dominate etc. You can still be a big Prime fan, like I am, and still have a large degree of disappointment that the team may not even reach the basic benchmark of success, a bowl game. Not getting a bowl is a failure, sorry, but when 64 teams go bowling a year, and the criteria to do so is go .500, not getting there is a failure.

That disappointment among the faithful is all compounded by the pre-season bravado. Even though we love Prime, we want a winner. CU hasn't been a winner consistently on the FB field in over 20 years. Prime has high standards, and I love that, but why is it wrong for fans to have them too?

Last edited:
I, along with others, believed Prime when he said he was going to win now, dominate etc. You can still be a big Prime fan, like I am, and still have a large degree of disappointment that the team may not even reach the basic benchmark of success, a bowl game. Not getting a bowl is a failure, sorry, but when 64 teams go bowling a year, and the criteria to do so is go .500, not getting there is a failure.

That disappointment among the faithful is all compounded by the pre-season bravado. Even though we love Prime, we want a winner. CU hasn't been a winner consistently on the FB field in over 20 years. Prime has high standards, and I love that, but why is wrong for fans to have them too?
A bowl game is a massive benchmark when you were a 49.2 overall grade last year. Look at the teams with grades in the 50s, 2018 UMass is the only one with CU in the 40s. None made a major jump the next year. It took years to make substantial jumps.

Prime has literally did it insanely at JSU and Colorado.

His boys are 8-2 against the spread. They are playing way above their weight class.

I’ve been admittedly absent from a lot of threads over the last few weeks, but some strange conversations going on right now.

Colorado and the fans are 100% behind Prime. That’s really all there is to say.
We! Are!!!

We just dont like his decision making.

1. game management
2. asssissstant coaches
3. organizational structure
4. hubris
5. profit?

The 2022 CU team was 1-11.

CU started the 2023 season with an OL composed of 2 guys from Kent State, 1 guy from Jackson State, and 2 holdovers from the 2022 CU team.

Yet we were going to win 7, 8 or more games? And the SWAC isn't much different than the P5? The wishful thinking got ahead of the actuarial probabilities.

I give the CU fan base a break though because it was so hungry for improvement. But the hype train did get pretty nuts.

Onward and upward ! It's just going to take a while.

Art Love GIF by Sadmonstelina

Last edited:

That disappointment among the faithful is all compounded by the pre-season bravado. Even though we love Prime, we want a winner. CU hasn't been a winner consistently on the FB field in over 20 years. Prime has high standards, and I love that, but why is it wrong for fans to have them too?
This was a 1-11 team that lost by an average of almost 30 points. They’ve been an underdog in all but maybe two games and Coach Prime publicly stated they were 7-8 dogs away.

The best case scenario for anyone looking at it objectively was a bowl game because they would have had to pull off multiple upsets to get to six. And that was without Travis Hunter missing games due to a cheap shot.

And had they not blown the Stanford game they would still have an outside shot.

I think the problem is CU beat TCU on the road despite being such huge underdogs. Which caused fans to become delusional in their expectations. However, it turns out TCU is not actually very good and CU was in a dog fight and barely eked out a victory over them.

This team has its issues (The QB being the one that has to defend people from cheap shot because the guys on the line are so soft is pathetic) but they’re vastly superior to last year and with a full recruiting cycle it should get even better.

Losing close games sucks but it’s a lot better than being the bad news bears that we witnessed last year.

I’ve been admittedly absent from a lot of threads over the last few weeks, but some strange conversations going on right now.

Colorado and the fans are 100% behind Prime. That’s really all there is to say.
Yep. Or as near 100% as you are ever going to see when a team has lost 6 of its last 7 games.

This was a 1-11 team that lost by an average of almost 30 points. They’ve been an underdog in all but maybe two games and Coach Prime publicly stated they were 7-8 dogs away.

The best case scenario for anyone looking at it objectively was a bowl game because they would have had to pull off multiple upsets to get to six. And that was without Travis Hunter missing games due to a cheap shot.

And had they not blown the Stanford game they would still have an outside shot.

I think the problem is CU beat TCU on the road despite being such huge underdogs. Which caused fans to become delusional in their expectations. However, it turns out TCU is not actually very good and CU was in a dog fight and barely eked out a victory over them.

This team has its issues (The QB being the one that has to defend people from cheap shot because the guys on the line are so soft is pathetic) but they’re vastly superior to last year and with a full recruiting cycle it should get even better.

Losing close games sucks but it’s a lot better than being the bad news bears that we witnessed last year.
7-8 dogs away from what? Going .500? That is not what I took from that statement.

Another opening... So what are we up to? Michigan State, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Boise State, San Diego State. Two weeks left in the season.
no data, but my recollection is that most coaches with established records refuse to talk to a team about a job unless the job is already open. maybe something else has changed, but I suspect this is about being able to get an earlier start on looking for your next coach.

Lots of good assistants are likely up for discussion from all these schools
The most interesting thing will be what Prime does with each assistant and coordinator if there are some good options to get
He now has time and job performance to lean on whether to make things happen

no data, but my recollection is that most coaches with established records refuse to talk to a team about a job unless the job is already open. maybe something else has changed, but I suspect this is about being able to get an earlier start on looking for your next coach.
Early Signing Day and the portal have also sped things up dramatically. Pretty much have to fire your coach by mid November and have the new on in place by the end of the first week in December if you want to salvage a class

Back