What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

Yeah don’t make a desperate hire to save a couple players. The players almost never know what’s best for a program. If that’s the case we would have not fired Embree, and hired Sanford and Cabral those years
I get what you’re saying but keeping team continuity for a 10 win team has more weight than keeping the guys that won 1 game.

Brennan has done a good job at SJSU. But I feel more confident against UA with him as HC than I would with Fisch, so I think this is a positive development for CU.
Brennan is an underwhelming hire tbh, though I realize the UofA isn’t in the best situation timewise or financially.

This is that point in the carousel where some real damage can be done to a program when it loses its coach. So late in the process and the availability of replacements goes to near zero.

Brennan has done a good job at SJSU. But I feel more confident against UA with him as HC than I would with Fisch, so I think this is a positive development for CU.
Has kind of the same feel as us hiring MM. Enough qualifications to sell to the fans but a low ceiling for a program with a low ceiling.

This is that point in the carousel where some real damage can be done to a program when it loses its coach. So late in the process and the availability of replacements goes to near zero.
Just depends on how far down the hill the sh!t flows. You can always get a HC and staff from G5 or FCS. Like KU did with bringing in Lance Leipold so late in the post-2020 offseason. They got a great HC with a high quality staff. However, Buffalo's results have tanked and I don't see that program recovering soon.

I'm amazed at how fast these programs hired their replacements. We'd still be assembling the faculty advisory committee.
In a lot of cases, the AD is just calling Jimmy Sexton to find out who's available at what price. Sexton (or someone like him) then uses the opening to get some clients who aren't interested or the right fit a raise/ extension before announcing a deal with the actual HC hire. CU doesn't play that game and burnt bridges when RG fired MacIntyre when he was being groomed for an SEC job.

Just depends on how far down the hill the sh!t flows. You can always get a HC and staff from G5 or FCS. Like KU did with bringing in Lance Leipold so late in the post-2020 offseason. They got a great HC with a high quality staff. However, Buffalo's results have tanked and I don't see that program recovering soon.
Right. I guess that’s kind of the point I was making. Arizona *might* be able to salvage a halfway decent staff, but San Jose State is good and truly fooked. If Harbaugh heads to the NFL, the ripple effects will be similar to what happened with Saban, but the pool of coaches to backfill those positions will get more shallow.

I didn't want to start the 2024-25 Coaching Carousel thread so I'll plop this nugget here.

OSU just landed a new school President in the past few weeks. OSU landed their new AD today, Bjork (from TAMU not Iceland), the dude that extended Jumbo Fisher and then turned around and fired Jumbo for a $76mm guaranteed payday.

So following the dots...New school president, new AD, and the fans HATE the football HC. Looks like Mr. "Born on Third Base" is going to get thrown out next fall.

Oh theres no doubt Brennan in Tucson is good for us. He's a decent coach, but they're going to fall off under him.

Meh hire in my opinion.

Right. I guess that’s kind of the point I was making. Arizona *might* be able to salvage a halfway decent staff, but San Jose State is good and truly fooked. If Harbaugh heads to the NFL, the ripple effects will be similar to what happened with Saban, but the pool of coaches to backfill those positions will get more shallow.
Michigan what most likely promote Sherone Moore.

That's the sort of thinking that caused RG to panic hire KD. I have never been a buyer of that. The windows of guys looking for a good opportunity is open always, except for during the season. In fact, when Midnight-Mel left us, I felt like a lot of due diligence could have been done and we didn't need to hire Sark to be successful. When you can find a really good hire who sees your job as a step up, he can also bring his whole staff with him who know his system, and then try to pick off a couple recruiting up-and-comers for RB, TE, Special Teams etc.

That's the sort of thinking that caused RG to panic hire KD. I have never been a buyer of that. The windows of guys looking for a good opportunity is open always, except for during the season. In fact, when Midnight-Mel left us, I felt like a lot of due diligence could have been done and we didn't need to hire Sark to be successful. When you can find a really good hire who sees your job as a step up, he can also bring his whole staff with him who know his system, and then try to pick off a couple recruiting up-and-comers for RB, TE, Special Teams etc.
I don’t think you’re following what I’m saying. There might be available coaches, true. But the guys who would have been your first, second and third choices had you been looking in November are all spoken for by now.

At this point, guys like Bronco Mendenhall are back in the picture. Maybe that’s good for some teams. Less so for others.

I don’t think you’re following what I’m saying. There might be available coaches, true. But the guys who would have been your first, second and third choices had you been looking in November are all spoken for by now.

At this point, guys like Bronco Mendenhall are back in the picture. Maybe that’s good for some teams. Less so for others.
I think we're probably about done with this silly season barring either Harbaugh to the NFL (which could mean Michigan promotes Sherrone Moore) or a scandal somewhere else. Nobody gives a **** about San Jose State.

Back